Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

Well today the dealer tested the car for leaks and declared the door surround seals to be leaking both sides. The car has to be ovened, so it will have to go in for a whole day and be sent to a place with oven facilities.

Querying this further, aparently it is the aperture seal that leaks both sides, so they can do it at the dealers, car has to go in agian. Shame their internal communication was not good enough. Would have saved me a journey and lost time.

Mentioned the door liner as a possible cause and explained that when I had witnessed water on top of the seal, there were completely dry areas either side of the wet area, hence water could not have come in from either side along the seal, which it would have to have done to arrive there (unless it ran uphill under the door edge) thus the aperture seal was unlikely. Response from service manager was along the lines of "well these internet sites are all very well but...."

Given other concerns over the service level, not too confident that I won't be wasting time back and fourth to the dealer.

Chris

Mine just came out the dealers after getting both rear seals fixed, not to sure tho, dont know if the water on the door at the moment is old or new... My god tho it cost £120 arg.

and i didnt even ask them to dry it out!! £36.98 for sealant WTF

Bit of an update, car is in the dealers getting sorted, dropped it off yesterday and may not be able to pick it up till thursday now!!!

Basically ALL door seals havee gone so they are changing them all, along with all new carpet in the car as it went mouldy, also getting a new rear washer jet motor as it blew!

All under warranty!! Wouldnt like to think how much it would have cost me if i was getting it done outside warranty!!!

GinG

I think I spotted your car sitting at the dealers. I've been told I can collect mine tomorrow.. but I have to return it on friday so that they can change the instrument clocks ?? so that they can sort out the cracked instrument cover!

I'll post up a further update tomorrow once I get the car back.

Nice one - found mine on my 04 looking for a leak on rear washers. Is this a warranty job as 04 still in warranty.?

Just got mine back today from this. All 4 door seals were sorted and I only mentioned that the rears had gone. :)

As soon as I said what was happening they said "oh yes, we know what that one is". So, if you have a dealer that quibbles with your diagnosis, go elsewhere as they're useless.

Just got mine back today from this. All 4 door seals were sorted and I only mentioned that the rears had gone. :)

As soon as I said what was happening they said "oh yes, we know what that one is". So, if you have a dealer that quibbles with your diagnosis, go elsewhere as they're useless.

So what was it on yours then? Door surround seals, door liners, body aperture seals?

Chris

Oh dear, I may have a problem!

I haven't even had the car a week but having not read this site before I bought the car I didn't think to really check the back doors (doh!) Anyway, there are distinct water marks...

DSCF3961.jpg

The mats feel slightly damp, but I wouldn't say they were wet. What do you reckon? I have warranty until June so if its going to get worse I'd want it sorted before then. Also will I need the card I've just sent off for the transfer of warranty!

Tom.. it looks very similar to what I had. My carpets were not dripping, but if you take the fitted mats out and have a look at the underside.. if thats wet then you do need the seals doing.

It doesnt take long for the whole car to start smelling bad. I would get those looked at asap just incase the dealer cannot get them sorted first time.

R

Oh dear, I may have a problem!

I haven't even had the car a week but having not read this site before I bought the car I didn't think to really check the back doors (doh!) Anyway, there are distinct water marks...

DSCF3961.jpg

The mats feel slightly damp, but I wouldn't say they were wet. What do you reckon? I have warranty until June so if its going to get worse I'd want it sorted before then. Also will I need the card I've just sent off for the transfer of warranty!

Ouch....that's far worse than mine were. Having said that the water will not fill up the door but rather overflow into the car. Looks to me like someones had a go at washng the door card or the window has been left slightly open thus allowing rainwater to flow down the inside of the glass etc. Does the underside of that cubby thing feel damp?

do you think this will affect all those lovely new Race Blue ones we've seen the pictures of, waiting to be claimed, sitting out in the rain ?

Yup, without a doubt. There is no problem with the doors at all if you believe Skoda UK.

:rolleyes:

Well mine is in getting repaired, however they have lost my car key!!!!!!

Went in monday and not picking up till saturday now! Even then i will have to use my spare key until they order me a new set! Couldnt believe it, even had to take the keys up there myself!

Wonder if i can get any compo? :P

Hey!

Mine's off in to Dean's at Dumfries tomorrow for its 1 year service and to get one of the rear doors done, its an 06 plate and when I mentioned it they were like "yeah no problem!"

Had my dad's ol 53 plate in ealrier in the year for the 30k service and seals - was p*ssing water in on all 4 doors - they had it for 1 day and bingo! All done, no fuss.

Makes you wander if Skoda are looking into the problem, or are they just waiting til the new one comes out?

2002 Fabia Estate 1.9 TDi - guess what - both rear doors leak and the boot seal is none too clever either :thumbdwn: . Has anyone had this fault repaired and if so roughly how much will it set me back?

Cheers for any input,

DM

I take it you are all getting it repaired on waranty?

Is it fitting of replacement door membranes?

This is the first year i've noticed mine leaks as well. Its probably done it before but never noticed it! Unfortuneatly i'm well out of warranty now.

The wifes Furby leaked quite badly on one door.It was a used car purchase, and when I questioned the dealer on finding the leak the reply came "water ingress of any sort is not covered by used car warranty". So much for being told it was the same as a new car warranty as the car was approved used :rolleyes:

Still if they had played ball, I would have had the car serviced with them..not now.

Buggered if I am going to cough to them for it, as they claimed they only silicon the carriers anyway.

So...I did it instead. Cheap,easy and once cured totally dry now.

Just noticed mine - see post for details in recent thread - 'those wet footwells' - going to go for my badge regards getting this done without charge despite the car being out of warranty - know my rights and this simply isn't on - can anticipate how difficult it'll be to get sorted - anyone else fancy being on TV (Watchdog) ?! - that Julia Bradbury's worth going on for alone!!!

I am reaching the end of my tether. I have all the symptoms of leaking door carriers, like wet carpet behind driver and a little in front foot well. BUT I have sealed the carriers and carefully checked they are sealed by blasting a hose all over the door and side windows with the card trims off. I did this with car tilted 10 degrees to the left (is that enough?) so drips fall from window to carrier. After the initial repair I did have a slight drip, but hardly enough to get 2-3 pints in foot well experienced after only one rainstorm. But I have sealed even that now.

What else can cause this leakage other than carriers? I have checked for leaf blockage in fresh air intake under windscreen and also it can’t be washer pipe as that’s on passenger side. One clue might be that the carpet is a bit wet even up below the foot pedals which implies some is coming in through air intakes, edge of windscreen, a poor seal in engine bay/cabin bulkhead, rubber plug missing under floor or base of steering column. Any ideas?

If water gets into front well can it run to the back? I always have more water in the back but wonder if the origin isn’t at the front.

Just noticed mine - see post for details in recent thread - 'those wet footwells' - going to go for my badge regards getting this done without charge despite the car being out of warranty - know my rights and this simply isn't on - can anticipate how difficult it'll be to get sorted - anyone else fancy being on TV (Watchdog) ?! - that Julia Bradbury's worth going on for alone!!!

As annoying as it is though, its only a bit of water and every car will have its niggles - be thankful you can fix it very cheap with a bit of sealant :P