Rear parking sensor fault...

Howdey..I have searched but no joy.

According to my garage's diags machine, my rear, left, centre sensor was faulty (VRS Combi)- a high pitched tone on selecting reverse and no display on screen. I did have a faulty front sensor (due to vandals) but this was replaced and then we found the rear to be faulty - was not a good day I can tell you!

Anyways, a replacement was ordered, painted and I returned for fitting only to find it made no difference! Not happy but at least they didn't try to charge me for it!

They confirmed that the original sensor was infact okay (shame they didn't check before!), an said it must be the wiring and/or control box. They could not advise cost but at £75/hour to diagnose it could be a biggie. Surely something I can try myself?

So, can anyone tell me where the control box is located please? I read on the Superb forum thats its behind the lining on the right side of the boot. Is that true for Octavia II? Is it actually likely to be the box or something else? Is it a DIY job to replace? How much for a new one? Any tips/gotchas I need to know about?

Thanks in advance

Andy

I think I know what has happened here - on my car I had the rear left centre sensor go faulty.

BUT

you can tell which sensor isn't working by turning the ignition on and selecting reverse and then put your ear close to each sensor. Working sensors will emit an audible click.

On mine it was the centre right that was faulty, although VCDS flagged it up as the centre left.

Try it on yours and see if the sides have been swapped over! I replaced the centre right and all was well.

It explains why the display was the wrong way round on the Stream MP3 when reversing.

Spooky! I did as you suggested, andyvee, and its the centre right thats not making a sound!! Talk about coincidence! :o

So, why would diags say it was centre left? Simply wired to the wrong sensor presumably? And did you replace yourself? I note the centre right is more tricky to get to... :(

Have you ever had the bumper off? I had mine repainted at the same Skoda dealer a while back (paid for by local council for wheelie bin damage) so it is safe to presumes they must wired it back incorrectly? Seems likely to me... At least its just the cost of the sensor now rather than £????? on further investigation! Some good news at last.. :)

• Like 1

I removed the undertray and could just get my hand up there to the sensor.

I then ripped the sensor complete with mounting bracket off of the bumper. It is only glued to the rear of the bumper so with a bit of persuasion it comes off.

I then fitted the new sensor and tested it all, then using some two part epoxy glued the bracket back to the rear of the bumper with the sensor still in place. Been fine ever since.

The official way of doing it is removing the bumper, which is about 2 hours work! You can do it in 20 minutes. Make sure you have some good 2 part epoxy and don't glue your hand to the bumper emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Moral of the story is if you want something done right...do it yourself.

Sick telling my dealership what is wrong with my car and then having to book it in over 2 days then come back comfirm what i said and then book it again for parts :giggle:

Andyvee - some more advice/clarification if I may.

Because my bumper has been off for a respray, do you think the garage cocked up when refitting? Its always been fine from new, never noticed an issue on the display. The reason it wouldn't have shown on my display at the time of fitting is because at the same time my front sensor was faulty. I've always attributed this problem to be limited to the front sensor fault. There is no other explanation for this is there? I just want to be armed with the right info before speaking with my dealer...

Cheers

Just recently my vRS hatch has also been having issues with the rear parking sensors. When you select reverse it either makes no sound or a high pitched beep with no display on the radio. When you go back to neutral the display flashes up for a second (could it be an earthing issue?). I have tried putting the ignition on and in reverse but couldn't hear anything from any of the sensors?

Will a dealer diagnostic be able to clarify anything?

Andyvee - some more advice/clarification if I may.

Because my bumper has been off for a respray, do you think the garage cocked up when refitting? Its always been fine from new, never noticed an issue on the display. The reason it wouldn't have shown on my display at the time of fitting is because at the same time my front sensor was faulty. I've always attributed this problem to be limited to the front sensor fault. There is no other explanation for this is there? I just want to be armed with the right info before speaking with my dealer...

Cheers

Who knows - it may have been like that from the factory?

If you have access to VCDS then you can see the distance each sensor is measuring to an obstacle and get someone to walk round the back in front of each sensor. I thought the wiring loom was made so that you couldn't get these the wrong way round, but obviously not!

Just recently my vRS hatch has also been having issues with the rear parking sensors. When you select reverse it either makes no sound or a high pitched beep with no display on the radio. When you go back to neutral the display flashes up for a second (could it be an earthing issue?). I have tried putting the ignition on and in reverse but couldn't hear anything from any of the sensors?

Quick answer is yes, but try and find someone local with VCDS as it will only cost you a few beer tokens instead of £40 at a dealer.

Exactly same as mine. Sometimes they work but only 1 or 2 times out of 10. They work even less in the damp weather. However, everytime I think of taking it to the dealer they miraculously work! Grrrr... Don't want to pay £40 to be told - 'no problem exists, sir'

I know the feeling. Our nearest dealer is a good 70 mile round trip. Hmm, I might bite the bullet and take it later in the week. I don't suppose that the fact I only bought the car in July would be by any means grounds for me to have the work carried out for free?

Who knows - it may have been like that from the factory?

If you have access to VCDS then you can see the distance each sensor is measuring to an obstacle and get someone to walk round the back in front of each sensor. I thought the wiring loom was made so that you couldn't get these the wrong way round, but obviously not!

Nope, from factory it was fine - no issues with the display showing wrong side. So it has to be from when they removed to respray - makes sense. Time to tackle the dealer...

Cheers mate

Exactly same as mine. Sometimes they work but only 1 or 2 times out of 10. They work even less in the damp weather. However, everytime I think of taking it to the dealer they miraculously work! Grrrr... Don't want to pay £40 to be told - 'no problem exists, sir'

We have had problems with ours after its been to the local Polish car wash, the jet wash they use sometimnes makes them play up for a couple of days but it always clears. I had resolved to give them a jet of WD40 if it didnt clear but its never been neccesary, yours could well be a damp issue

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this problem I posted..

Had the rear sensor replaced today (for a very decent price) and all ok :)

The one thing still troubling me is that their diags machine reported it being left centre when infact it was right centre. The wiring was correct so someone please explain that one!

Anyways, Im a happy bunny again...

• 2 months later...

Just to follow up on this problem I posted..

Had the rear sensor replaced today (for a very decent price) and all ok :)

The one thing still troubling me is that their diags machine reported it being left centre when infact it was right centre. The wiring was correct so someone please explain that one!

Anyways, Im a happy bunny again...

Ciderspace - how much was this if you dont mind me asking? Main dealer or indy? Got any part numbers?

Mine's failed and is not covered under my extended warranty :-( . . . . . bullocks

• 1 month later...

Ciderspace/Golf-Fiend

I have a Skoda Superb 2.0TDi 140BHP and whilst I love it am beginning to learn all of it's little quirks, or should that be faults? I have two rear parking sensors diagnosed as faulty, 205 and 206 if that means anything but the guy pointed to the two on the right and quoted me £105 EACH!!! Yes EACH!!! That might be the going rate but heck that sounds expensive. Do you have the details of where you got yours done or does anyone have any suggestions? I am in the south west.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I think we have the same faulty sensor issue creating a high pitched constant tone when selecting reverse but no visual diagram on the radio (it used to work fine with a picture of the car and some graphic to display distance to "object" behind car). Maybe water ingress into a sensor or just a fault. I plan to take it back to the dealer as it is still under 3yr warranty - But is it covered??

• 6 months later...

I've got the same problem, high pitched tone instead of the normal beeps, no graphic, then a momentary graphic of the car after I've taken her out of reverse. Have followed the 'clicking sensor' advice and found one not working. Will let you know how it goes in terms of repair. Thanks to all the other previous posters who've helped me get to the fault diagnosed stage.

Cheers

Sammy

• 1 year later...

I`ve just bought a 2005 estate and a couple of days after getting it the rear parking sensors started playing up and then stopped working all together. So after reading this thread I went outside with a length of hose pipe to use as a stethoscope and guess what... yes it all works perfect !!! errrrr !!!

I`am going to keep the bit of pipe in the car so if they play up again I can go and have a listen.

Cheers John

PS my first post.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread! Just wanted some advice. 3 of my sensors arnt working. I tried the working 1 in the other 3 positions and it works so looks like3 sensors are gone LOL.

Anyway should I buy 3 aftermarket sensors for £15 with 12 months warrany off ebay or buy genuine used? Genuine new are abit out my budget as there £90 each!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Octavia5 (Ron) has 1 silver one for sale in the For sale section for only about £5

If compatible will save you a few £