Rust on boot lid

Bodie

Spotted a bit of the brown stuff when I opened up the boot the otherday and thought balls. But decided as I was passing the local comendy showroom I would pop in n ask about a warrenty claim.

Workshop manager came out sucked his teeth rubbed his head and said not a lot. Got a call from them yesterday saying the approved VAG bodyshop needs to see it. So out again today on a 50 mile round trip for bodyshop to look at it, car has been appraised and chap says theres a technical bulletin on problem. Couple of photos later and paint depth readings taken the bodyshop seem confident that it will be approved easily so we shall see.

Forgot to say where the brown stuff was :giggle: its around the numberplate lights and boot release (common on the Passat so the man said)

When its approved its a total boot lid respray which will be nice as theres a few scratches from the previous owner.

DONT FORGET TO CHECK YOUR CAR FROM ANY OF THE BROWN STUFF :thumbup:

Rust around the number plate lamps is a standard VAG problem caused by bad design. Surrounding the cut edge of the lamp aperture is a foam seal which traps the water against the edge.

The fix is to take out the lamps, ensure that the foam is dry and soak it in anti-corrosion wax. Repeat every couple of years.

Numpties.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

anyone had also found rust on the drivers door bottom side, just above the plastic lower trim?

I've marked up 3 spots were the paint has clearly rust below it

how can I help it

car is very well maintained, but by myself. No accident car

thanks

I had this on the driver's door, right in the bottom corner. It was rust in the seam of the weld it looks like, which then spread to the door panel. By the time I got it repaired it was above the plastic trim, but it definitely originated right in the corner.

Got the whole door replaced at the same time as the front wings and the boot, all under paintwork warranty. Door had obviously rusted from the inside out.

VW currently have a big issue with this on B6 Passats, too.