Different tyres front and rear

As in the title.....

I need two new tyres, and want to fit 225/45/17 rather than the 205/50/17's that are fitted currently.

Problem is that I'd rather fit the 225's but also want to run down the other two of my 205's before I change them.

Will it cause an issue if I run 225/45/17's on the front and 205/50/17's on the rear?

Thanks

James

People have found the 225's to cause a reduction in fuel economy, and to cause sluggish handling.

You're generally better off with the correct tyre size for the car (205/50R17).

Try camskill and mytyres if you're after bargains....

THAT IS NOT ILLEGAL!!!! dunno where that came from.

YES the MOT will check that you have the same size tyre per axle but thats it's.

It sounds like a fine idea tbh, don't dismiss it so quickly.

A friend of mine had a Supercharged Civic type R 2002yrs running over 330bhp,

he fitted 245/45/17 to the front because it needed it, but took the 245/45.17's off the back as he said it ruined the handling, he put 205/45/17 on the back instead and he said he saw an improvement in 1/4 times and better fuel economy

The back tyres have alot less work to do than the fronts so yes it's fine to put bigger tyres on the front,

It's goes without saying that it has the potential to make a car FWD car more likely to oversteer but i doubt it will be noticeable.

When i had a 68bhp corsa, i fitted 195/50/15 on the front and left the standard steelies with 165/65/14 on the back on the recommendation from the Corsa forum.

for 3yrs the MOT was fine! (i was only 18yr old at the time)

Alot of big power FWD cars run bigger tyres on the front and don't bother with the back as often it doesn't need it.

Edited by Sonner

THAT IS NOT ILLEGAL!!!! dunno where that came from.

YES the MOT will check that you have the same size tyre per axle but thats it's.

WHere did you get the idea that the MOT checks every detail of MVL, MVCU etc regs? Some manufacturers used to do this as standard, and had to stop due to a change in the MVCU regs.

I was considering going the other way and getting 16" 205/55's and getting rid of the spiders and replacing them with a nice set of steelies. Figured it would save about £30-£40 per tyre. :thumbup:

As long as your happy with the height differences, and you have calculated any speedo changes and are aware of them i see no issue with it.

do remember that you will also be affecting corner weights slightly, only very slightly but making the front either higher or lower than the back might make it over or under steer more, but for such a small change i really wouldn't worry.

I think it will be fine to run wider tyres on the front.

go out and enjoy it.

Edited by Sonner

I was considering going the other way and getting 16" 205/55's and getting rid of the spiders and replacing them with a nice set of steelies. Figured it would save about £30-£40 per tyre. :thumbup:

Don't forget there are 16" spiders too. ;) Don't have to fit steels.

Unless the law has changed recently (lets face it, happens frequently!) then I can say you cannot have larger profile tyres fitted to the front of the car than those fitted to the rear. For instance you cant fit 225/45/17's on the front and 215/45/17's on the rear.

Ill have to double check when I get back in work with the guys in traffic, failing that a session on the Police Legal Database should reveal.

For a quick repsonce however any VOSA testers should be able to clarify this.

Unless the law has changed recently (lets face it, happens frequently!) then I can say you cannot have larger profile tyres fitted to the front of the car than those fitted to the rear. For instance you cant fit 225/45/17's on the front and 215/45/17's on the rear.

Ill have to double check when I get back in work with the guys in traffic, failing that a session on the Police Legal Database should reveal.

For a quick repsonce however any VOSA testers should be able to clarify this.

I'd be surprised if it were law. With front wheel drive cars it makes little sense. ESPECIALLY with the Octavia in standard form understeering to the extent that it does. A little less grip at the back would improve handling. But of course most of us get round this with RARB's.

Will it cause an issue if I run 225/45/17's on the front and 205/50/17's on the rear?

Why not move the wheels with the smaller tyres to the front and put the new larger tyres on the wheels to be fitted to the rear? Since the car is FWD the front older tyres would wear down much quicker than if fitted to the rear.

Loads of cars run staggered sizes front to rear. My mate's Toyota MR2 has wider tyres on the rear and I think my brother's beemer does too.

Super cars are a prime example of this. Lambos normally have a wider wheel in the rear and a smaller one in the front. Think 9's in the front 11's in the rear.