OEM Tyre sizes and alternatives

fabdavrav

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what RC the speedometer is calibrated for, as the standard tyres (MK1) are anywhere between 1764 and 1809 which is a 2.5% difference, and I am sure the speedo is not matched to the fitted tyre as people suggest that the speedo cannot be re-calibrated through VAG-COM.

Edited by KeithCheetham

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Fabdavrav, I presume that you didn't mean that you can put 17" type tyres on OEM 16" Mk1 vRS alloys as long as it's within the stated 2.5% rolling radius?

Edited by overdrive

• 2 weeks later...

I would say you presume that correctly,

he did not mean 3 years ago when posting that 17" tyres would go on 16" rims.

(well they do, but the small rim falls through the too big hole in the middle.)

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the correct load rating for the Mk1 Fabia Vrs?  

I'm looking to replace the terrible budget tyres which came on mine from a dealer.  I've looked at maximum permissible axle weights which would suggests that minimum safe loading allowing a little extra ought to be about 84.  Since there can be an appreicable difference in tyre costs if rating is increased, I dont want to have to spend more than necessary.  Also, it is worth noting that the load rating is ONLY achieved with a specific air pressure which may NOT coincide with Skoda's recommended prssures which are usually selected these days for efficiency/economy.  *(ie an 83 load rating might only be achieved at a manufacturer's recommended 40psi so inflating rears to 32psi will not satisfy that load rating).  Admitted, it's complex but in the event of an accident, these things will be checked.

• 3 months later...

So I have a MKI vRS on the OEM wheels, what sizes are the best to go up for width and down for "Winters"??
OEM = 205/45 R16 has a R/C of 1856.37mm....-2.5%= 1809.96mm....+2.5%= 1902.78mm
Width = 225/35 R17 R/C = 1851.34mm
Winters = 195/55 R15 R/C = 1870.82mm (watch the brake/wheel clearance!)

Skoda say winters should be 185/55R15, printed on the inside of the filler cap and in the pdf guide listing all permitted wheel & tyre sizes. This size allows snow chains to be used.

If, as seems likely, there is no adjustment for speedo reading between models, the most common size of 185/60R14 should probably be considered the nominally correct size for car. On this basis, 205/45R16 is very slightly under +2.5% but 195/55R15 exceeds this tolerance. It can be seen that all oem sizes are within +/- 2.5% of 185/60R14, (the same argument could be used to say 155/80R13 is the nominally correct size, but this doesn't seem to be a common fitment).

Does anyone know the correct load rating for the Mk1 Fabia Vrs?

Skoda specify a minimum load index of 83 - I thought this was cutting it a bit fine, so when I chose tyres for 15" wheels I found some that are 86H.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Gareth.  Yes, I thought it was cutting things a little fine, but probably better to have an 83 raing inflated to the correct pressures than an 85 or 87 rating under inflated.  Saying that, I've fitted Uniroyal Rainsports at  83Y rating.

The +2.5% seems about right when you look at speedo error.  I compared the speedo reading with GPS, and the speedo seems to be reading roughly 3% over with a 205/45 tyre on a 16 rim.

• 2 months later...

Guys, look what I found by accident when looking (for something entirely different) in my Haynes manual. These tire sizes are bizarre. I have (mad worn) 195/55R15 at the moment, thinking of upsizing to 195/60R15 this summer, after another Briskoda member confirmed ( http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296765-is-19555r15-ok-on-2003-fabia/ ) that such tires will give me more or less the most accurate speedometer reading possible, nice comfy ride, and also full clearance. That guy also warned me about that 195/65R15 (on the other hand) would be too big to fit. But now I read this size in my Haynes manual. Really wicked. And it's the manual for Mk1 (2000-2006), so I'm really confused.

0c37681fa3b20dc19f6def64ae6be106.jpg

Must be a typo? This is the Swedish-translated edition, so I wonder if you'll find the same numbers in the English book?

Guys, look what I found by accident when looking (for something entirely different) in my Haynes manual. These tire sizes are bizarre. I have (mad worn) 195/55R15 at the moment, thinking of upsizing to 195/60R15 this summer, after another Briskoda member confirmed ( http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296765-is-19555r15-ok-on-2003-fabia/ ) that such tires will give me more or less the most accurate speedometer reading possible, nice comfy ride, and also full clearance. That guy also warned me about that 195/65R15 (on the other hand) would be too big to fit. But now I read this size in my Haynes manual. Really wicked. And it's the manual for Mk1 (2000-2006), so I'm really confused.

Must be a typo? This is the Swedish-translated edition, so I wonder if you'll find the same numbers in the English book?

Haynes is also known as the joke book................because some of the info is usually wrong, or completely missing!

The tyre sizes I listed in the first post are the correct tyre sizes for the cars, using Skoda information which was correct. Also the Haynes has the tyre pressures wrong, so look at the ones on the inside of your fuel filler cap. Also 195/50R15 is the size for a MK1 Fabia, is should say this on the fuel filler cap or the owners handbook, I had 185/60R14 from the factory & then ran 195/50 R15...............

Just looked at the thread you started, people it might work but if you have to deal with the MOT, insurance, car crash, police etc & they find you are running tyres not specified within the RC of the ones for your car then you will have trouble! Also you are increasing the leverage factor & overall weight of the wheel/alloy & this will lead to extra wear on the bearings!

Edited by fabdavrav

• 5 months later...

Ref  Skoda Fabia Hatch 1.9 sdi 2002 47kw  89,000 miles

I've been checking my tyre sizes and would like some help please.  

I'm currently running on winter tyres after the garage told me that you can use them all the time.

The two front are both 165/70 R14

The two rear are 175/ 70 R14

Q.   I didn't realise that they could be different sizes on the front and rear?

Q.  I read somewhere on the forum that there is certain size; I think is was 185 that might be safer?  Why?

I checked inside the petrol cap and for my 47kw vehicle the list is:-

165/70 R14

185/60 R14

185/55 R14

195/50 R15

What difference to the handling of the car could I expect with the variations in tyre sizes.  I can't say that my car handles supremely on bends at speed but it is incredibly economical. 

I also have wheel trims ( 14"), so I imagine I'd have to stick with the 14?

Don't understand why I have 175's on the back and it's not listed on the petrol cap?

Any help, recommendations would be hugely appreciated, thank you.

Ref  Skoda Fabia Hatch 1.9 sdi 2002 47kw  89,000 miles

I've been checking my tyre sizes and would like some help please.  

I'm currently running on winter tyres after the garage told me that you can use them all the time.

The two front are both 165/70 R14

The two rear are 175/ 70 R14

Q.   I didn't realise that they could be different sizes on the front and rear?

Q.  I read somewhere on the forum that there is certain size; I think is was 185 that might be safer?  Why?

people just fit what ever they think even if it is wrong..............& onur car they should be the same sizes so if you had an accident & the insurance inspector had to look at it he would note that you are running different sizes front & rear which is not specified by Skoda.

The 185 is wider so offers more lateral grip.

As for running winter tyres all year around, most don't like it & the grip & braking distance offered by them in summertime is way less than a summer tyre...............

people just fit what ever they think even if it is wrong..............& onur car they should be the same sizes so if you had an accident & the insurance inspector had to look at it he would note that you are running different sizes front & rear which is not specified by Skoda.

The 185 is wider so offers more lateral grip.

As for running winter tyres all year around, most don't like it & the grip & braking distance offered by them in summertime is way less than a summer tyre...............

Huge thanks

Do you know the difference I could expect in either of these sizes please?

I don't have alloys

185/60 R14

185/55 R14

Huge thanks

Do you know the difference I could expect in either of these sizes please?

I don't have alloys

185/60 R14

185/55 R14

I find the 185/55R14 a strange size as not in my list above, are you sure it is correct?

The 185/60R14 is the one usually fitted at the factory to the higher spec petrol's & mine came with that size. Also it you look in the list the 185/60R14 is very near to the RC of the 195/50R15 size so it won't affect the speedo...............

I find the 185/55R14 a strange size as not in my list above, are you sure it is correct?

The 185/60R14 is the one usually fitted at the factory to the higher spec petrol's & mine came with that size. Also it you look in the list the 185/60R14 is very near to the RC of the 195/50R15 size so it won't affect the speedo...............

I've decided to buy the 185/60 R14 82T Michelin Alpin A4 for the winter.  Can't believe I had different size tyres.  My car passed an MOT with them!

Huge thanks once again

I've decided to buy the 185/60 R14 82T Michelin Alpin A4 for the winter.  Can't believe I had different size tyres.  My car passed an MOT with them!

Huge thanks once again

I have run A3 on my Fabia in 185/60R14....................great fun!.....

A5 version in the current one, well that's what I got last winter fro my new Golf......looks like old stock you are getting check the build dates on the sidewalls.

Also I can't believe your car passed an MOT with different sized tyres!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Fabia Estate 3 1.6 automatic (2009). The petrol cap shows tyre sizes as follows:

185/60 R14

195/55 R15

205/45 R16

205/40 R17

After speaking to Skoda CS and Skodaparts I have ordered four 14" wheels and tyres in the hope that they will give a more comfortable ride than the 16" wheels the car came with. 

The first post in this thread states

Fabia MKII OEM Sizes
185/60 R15 84T
195/55 R15 85H
205/45 R16 83W
205/40 R17 84W

Is this complete/correct, have I made an expensive mistake?