Drop In KnN Air Filters

Thinking of installing those KnN Drop In Air Filter.

Any members done it?

Even though KnN make good airfilters, you will find that the OEM performs just as well.

Won't make enough (or any) bang for the buck. Buy something else for your car instead.

Edited by tomcatdk

• 3 years later...

Just about to put a K&N in my 3.6 after a few months on the stock filter.

Will post hear when I've discovered a little more about the performance. Hopefully the induction roar under full throttle will be a giggle at least :D

I've heard negative things about them in Audis.  If they are over oiled, they can knacker the Mass Airflow Meter which is expensive.  Performance gain is marginal if any.

Yes, over-oiling is an issue if you are not careful. New panels are pre-oiled and some buyers are unaware of this. Drop straight in and are fine BUT if, after the first service wash at around 30k miles, you over oil them you can get gunk running through to the MAF sensor.

I've run K&N filters on all my cars - carb and petrol injection - for the past 30 years. Very happy. But you hear horror stories as you do with every after- market manufacturer. Always check that insurance is happy and that the marque is homologated with the manufacturer as K&N are (and others).

Regarding performance gain, yes, marginal but it is an improvement. I don't care about mpg but if the engine is breathing a bit easier then it should help. Drilling a couple of additional air intake holes on the underside of the standard air filter box helps.

Dave

I ran a k&n on my cr170 Superb for 70,000 miles , it was fine , but yes if you over oil them they can contaminate the maf , you can't blame the filter for that though

• Like 1

Just posted a thread on here about installing a K&N filter.....

I rate them. But other marques are available :)