DANGEROUS FAULT

malazan2

There have been reports on the forum about the passenger seat reverting of its own accord to a fully reclined position. Well my wife certainly never placed the reclining position into the car's memory. (There's an obvious funny joke here I can see!) This afternoon we transported my six year old granddaughter, Rose, in her kid's seat behind my passenger wife, and stopped at our house. My wife got out and there was a scream of pain and distress from Rose who was pinned down hard by the front passenger seat moving of its own accord. Luckily Rose suffered shock more than pain though I had to raise the seat up pronto. Tomorrow I shall visit the garage to complain.

I just wonder if anything has been sorted out in what is obviously a fault in a new car. I just wonder what might have happened if the front seat had been further back before reclining? I should add that the problem has been with us since we bought the car in September. Suddenly it seems a whole lot more of a problem.

I had a Phantom Drivers seat once - and once only in 18 months with my 170 4x4 - I locked the car, went and done shopping, but upon return, it was all the way forward and upright. Ok, so i'm only 5'6" but even i could not have fit into that space! - So it's not uncommon.

Good to hear that the we'un is Ok. - and best of luck with the dealers; i presume they will be unable to recreate the fault (i know mines never done it since) and will therefore be unable to fix it...

Al.

I HAVE A 2010 60 PLATE SUPERB CR 170 4X4 AND ONLY THE DRIVERS SEAT HAS MEMORY AND I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY REFERENCE TO PASSENGER SEAT MEMORY ON THE INTERNET

IS THIS A NEW THING?

OR

DID ONE OF THE SWITCHES GET JAMMED UPON YOUR WIFE LEAVING THE CAR??? (JUST A THOUGHT!!)

I HAVE A 2010 60 PLATE SUPERB CR 170 4X4 AND ONLY THE DRIVERS SEAT HAS MEMORY AND I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY REFERENCE TO PASSENGER SEAT MEMORY ON THE INTERNET

IS THIS A NEW THING?

OR

DID ONE OF THE SWITCHES GET JAMMED UPON YOUR WIFE LEAVING THE CAR??? (JUST A THOUGHT!!)

It's not the mem function that usually goes wrong, the seat just goes where it wants...

but yes, my Mrs. has a habit of sitting on the switches too, as she gets out...

Al.

IS THIS A NEW THING?

OR

posted twice.. sorry.

Edited by ukcruiser

Thanks for the tips, guys, but I can knock the "wife sitting on the thing" theory. It's just not possible to fully recline the seat in the time that it happened and we tried it anyway this morning, sloping in towards the lever that lowers the seat. She couldn't do it. Nor is it the first time. Periodically we'll find the seat fully reclined but I've yet to see it occur myself. And it was the first time it pinioned a child!

Anyway we've booked the car in for a check later this week to discover what the experts say. Great faith in mechanics.

Thanks for the tips, guys, but I can knock the "wife sitting on the thing" theory. It's just not possible to fully recline the seat in the time that it happened and we tried it anyway this morning, sloping in towards the lever that lowers the seat. She couldn't do it. Nor is it the first time. Periodically we'll find the seat fully reclined but I've yet to see it occur myself. And it was the first time it pinioned a child!

Anyway we've booked the car in for a check later this week to discover what the experts say. Great faith in mechanics.

Do let me know the findings of your mechanics.. I've a similar issue thou not as serious. My front passenger seat reclines to approximately 45 degrees occasionally .. not a serious fault hence have not brought to my dealer but will certainly report it at some point in time

My 09 Superb Elegance has this fault with the passenger seat. Irregularly, it reclines flat overnight. Hasn't happened when travelling with the missus. Keep forgetting to report the issues as usually hasn't happened for few weeks before a service visit.

Do let me know the findings of your mechanics.. I've a similar issue thou not as serious. My front passenger seat reclines to approximately 45 degrees occasionally .. not a serious fault hence have not brought to my dealer but will certainly report it at some point in time

+1. seems to be no pattern or logic as to when it half reclines in mine

Now i don't know how the seats are engineered but it could be electrical. Maybe the Seats gets too much juice from the generator sometimes while driving, and that might overcome some electrical circuit in the chair.

Though i believe it's higly unlikely. That would have been a BIG design fault.

Could also be a button stuck. If they get a beating sometimes, they could activate while driving on rough roads maybe.

It's purely speculation.. But plausible.

Edited by tomcatdk

I've had my 170 Elegance since end of September - absolutely brilliant - but also have had one occasion when the passenger seat had virtually reclined itself. It's not done it again since but will now be monitoring it just in case.

It would be nice to think that some techy from Skoda was monitoring this Forum and offering an explanation as quite obviously there is something amiss and they would have a liability if someone should get hurt in the circumstances...

• 1 month later...

It has happened once in my Suberb Elegace Greenline, when my wifes handbag slipped down the side of the seat and operated the seat buttons, she started disappearing into the rear of the car!

It has happened once in my Suberb Elegace Greenline, when my wifes handbag slipped down the side of the seat and operated the seat buttons, she started disappearing into the rear of the car!

My passenger seat always reclines by itself, the number of times I have got in and realised how far back the passenger seat is, I kept blaming my other half for changing the seat in it ;o))

• 1 year later...

I also have this fault which nearly crushed my 2 year old son's legs last week. His car seat raises him up so he his in the worst possible location when the passenger seat reclines. Did anyone make any progress in finding the cause?

Another good reason for having manually operated seats then...

These incidents of seats moving by their own accord must be a big worry to folks with electric seats.

If it's any help to anyone, I would happily exchange my 22K miles '61' plate 1.4TSi Superb 'S' for a similar age / mileage L&K or (at a push) an Elegance. Willing to consider either a Combi or a twin-door.

(NB, I do realise that some of you, for matters of economy, might wish me to take your 3.6 litre V6 - please understand that I could only do this if you are also willing to undertake to pay the extra road fund licence for at least the next 7 years.)

Since I know that many of you will wish to take me up on this offer, in order to remove the fear of being swallowed by the Skoda equivalent of a Venus Flytrap, I have to ask that sealed proposals should be sent to my solicitor, Mr. Wright Chancer, at Chancer & Chancer and Co., Dodgy Law Courts, Lawyertown. They must arrive no later than 23:59 on Wednesday 24th July 2013

• Like 1

Sorry ksr, went out to wash and wax my 3.6 V6 and fill with fuel for you and realised I missed the deadline!

Maybe next time, bonus is I will have time for training on how to cope with the awesome power of the 1.4 :devil: lol

Sorry ksr, went out to wash and wax my 3.6 V6 and fill with fuel for you and realised I missed the deadline!

Maybe next time, bonus is I will have time for training on how to cope with the awesome power of the 1.4 :devil: lol

I realised the deadline was going to be tight, SadGit. I guess I've become so used to the greater than light speed performance of my 1.4 that I expect everyone else to have everything that needs done today done by yesterday!

I realised the deadline was going to be tight, SadGit. I guess I've become so used to the greater than light speed performance of my 1.4 that I expect everyone else to have everything that needs done today done by yesterday!

Ah, so the 1.4 is like a Delorean, I will remember in  (back to) the future  :giggle:

• Like 1