MK1 vRS - Stage 2 R-Tech Tuned

Phil-W

Thanks, yeah you see a lot more silver or black ones with the MK1!

Another little job done, bumper trims were terribly faded and wouldn't clean up very well, so I bought a tin of Plastidip and gave them a couple of costs!

Not the best pic but you get the idea...

bfd1ffd2.jpg

Bought a tub of this stuff in preparation for doing the brakes...

ec1b58b1.jpg

The joys of having my mum work for Morris :D hopefully doing them this weekend weather pending, will paint the calipers too if the rain holds off!

Well, hit a stumbling block today. Got the DP out to check measurements to see if I needed any reducers or clamps on it. I bought it cheap and had a suspicion something may have been not quite right, turns out the Flexi pipe is nackered. At first I thought the light was coming from the Lambda sensor hole but after covering it up, it seems not!

b643320c.jpg

e46c9d49.jpg

f37a76bd.jpg

And the split...

a0c4698b.jpg

1e76251f.jpg

I can get a new Flexi for £12ish so in going to call a local powerflow dealer and see how much they will charge to replace the old one!

Also 'cleaned' the airways with this cleaner, seems to have made it smell a bit fresher and can't complain for a quid!

1e55c1d4.jpg

Needed a cam belt sticker after loosing mine so hunted online and found a website that offered free samples, rude not to :D

dda902a0.jpg

• Like 1

Got ready to do the brakes today, went to my 'rents house as my driveway is sloped and I don't like working on it!

Got the car in the air and wheels off, stripped off the retaining springs and went in the garage to find no socket or Allen key in the size I needed... Damn!

While the wheels were off I knew my horn needed sorting as the CAI fouled on it so I cable-tied it out of the way, got a piece of mesh and bent a temp bracket up! The outside temp sensor was just hanging as well so I bolted that back up...

f2ea310b.jpg

8bc99ef0.jpg

When I tied the horn up I didn't think and left it pointing up, water got in so I got what I could out, will have to see if it's nackered it or not!

Gave the TB a clean as well, was very grubby when i opened it fully...

Before:

255bd5eb.jpg

After:

a4a89e9f.jpg

Finally, whilst the front wheels were off I gave the calipers a coat of smooth green, better to do it now whilst the old discs and pads are in!

8b695705.jpg

Finished off the rear brakes today, found something else to change now though!!

2c69054a.jpg

And my bump stops...

356dec3c.jpg

eb065276.jpg

Not too bad though, about £16 delivered for a new pair :)

Thanks Rob!

Got the new Pagid Discs/Pads fitted... My god, how awesome it is not to cringe as you hit the brakes and feel the steering wobble because of warped brakes!!

Had some great news today, well for me anyway!!

I contacted Milltek to see if I could pursue a warranty claim with the split flexi in the Sports Cat, wishful thinking seeing as I bought it 2nd had and you need to be the original purchaser for warranty claims.

They said they can supply a replacement flexi for £34 or so. I asked how much it would be to get it fixed and fitted to the car by them, they said they can't fit it to the car but they would put a new flexi in for the same price if I got it to them. Brilliant customer service IMHO, I was expecting a flat "no". I'll get it sent off next week, very very happy though, puts the sports cat at £140 now but it's still a bargain!!

I think the guy I bought it from just saw the flexi blowing and decided to get rid rather than repair, very pleased and can't fault Milltek's customer service at all, even their replies via email have been within the hour every time!

Not Charlie, a guy called Jon? Very helpful!!

Air con problems this week, changed the pressure sensor & found there was no gas in the system.

Found the cause of the problem, inflicted by who ever fitted the Intercooler, started by filling the system with Nitrogen, pressure held to start with but then started dropping off.

Took the front end off to try and see where it was leaking...

023d5fc9.jpg

Re-filled the system with nitrogen, sprayed some fairy liquid about and spotted the culprit..

14f2ddbd.jpg

Clamp part of the jubilee clip was chaffing on a pipe on the condenser and wore a hole through...

14f2ddbd.jpg

Phone pic but you can just about see the pin hole...

e6dd11f4.jpg

Tried to solder it but heating it up created another hole, new condenser time! Happy we found the leak though!!

I always try to park as sensibly as possible, tuck the car into a corner spot somewhere, it usually takes me 10-15 mins to find a spot I'm happy with, evidently ruined in a split second by someone parked in the neighbouring bay...

07a0e616.jpg

Luckily it hasn't dented and I have removed the mark with a bit of Autosol but Grrrrrrr!! :(

it's sooo annoying when people couldn't give a shiny ****e about their car so your's has no chance. I bought a new Mini Cooper D last year for her indoors and within a week there was a crease put in the rear quarter by some t*sser.

Have to say i'm very impressed with Milltek. Exhaust came back today, not only did they replace the flexi but they also reinforced the flange and included a new fitting kit, spot on job!!

05ccbf28.jpg

Few bits been arriving in the post for the car...

83a0efb1.jpg

New Condenser, Drier, Oil & Fuel filters and Rear Bump Stops.

Did the condenser and drier today....

9e34d00c.jpg

Crash bar and front panel off, condenser disconnects from the radiator by 4 screws and a couple underneath. Quite time consuming as you need to be both careful and methodical.

Got it all back together, just needs to be re-gassed now. Then had a complete nightmare. Went shopping and got back, thought I would just pop the bonnet to check everything is ok... Nothing.

Little did I know that when you take off the front panel, the cable is prone to coming away from the mountings, making the cable useless.

Bumper off again, Intercooler and slam panel off again, engine under tray off. 3 hours later after some help from the father-in-law and he managed to get it popped open from under the car. 5 mins later it was back together and sorted out... Lesson learned!!

Mini service next and replace the bump stops before MOT.

• 3 weeks later...

MOT time today...

E4F268DF-E75C-40D1-84BB-66774128C899-1097-00000168B6197D4E.jpg

Passed with no advisories :D very happy. Tester said it is a very very clean car.

Going to service it next week and change the bump stops over.

Spark Plugs were ordered from eBay, when they came I had to pay £3 as postage wasn't covered, complained and had a full refund today so a full set of NGK's only cost me £3 :)

Next in the pipe line enhancement wise is to get the sports cat on, get a new spring for the 007P and then give R-Tech a call :D

Also need to get the air con tested and regassed now the new condenser rad is fitted!

• 2 weeks later...

Air con is now regassed and working, ice cold now :) the past couple of weeks haven't been much of an issue but I wanted it working for winter months to demist quickly :) Total cost for Air Con was;

£40 - Test/regas

£66 - Rad/Condenser

£15 - Receiver/Drier

£22 - HP/LP Switch

Moving on to today.. service time. Didn't have time to replace rear bump stops as the weather turned. Started off with the fuel filter. Presuming the date on the old filter (08/04/06) was date of manufacture but doesn't look like it have been changed recently...

CCF1A40B-D506-41A6-814E-3CBC64B5F7E1-1653-0000025324B4B27C.jpg

No point in wasting what's left in the filter... :D

539209BE-8A08-4508-8416-7CD458FFFB81-1653-000002531B4CDB93.jpg

Oil next, old gunge..

CD1CA511-B821-4EAD-8370-8B344D023DCA-1653-0000025335481C0B.jpg

And then spark plugs...

CE5BAF0D-D12D-4554-9C29-EE8412F625E6-1653-0000026488A3B308.jpg

D88C4280-0883-4243-987D-68FC35615025-1653-0000026490EAADA7.jpg

Didn't do the coolant as it was done a month or so back with the Cam Belt :)

Next job will be to get the rear bump stops fitted, change the gear box oil and get a better filter for the CAI :)

Tonight's work was fitting this...

832320F9-C688-41C2-9EF9-56431C51CEE3-2861-00000329D1A61A70.jpg

Found £1 under the centre console, £64 now :)

71043042-0DD0-4248-957D-9DB69EEA26C2-2861-00000329D7C6279E.jpg

Came from an Octavia so the rear cup holder still works...

26E9FAB5-A066-4120-BA72-846840D54D7B-2861-00000329DEE29F24.jpg

And all done...

70AFC7D5-C7FF-44AB-BC13-C10D690E0A42-2861-00000329E3DCD282.jpg

I thought £65 delivered was quite reasonable considering Golf Leather arm rests are £70+ on eBay and you would need to buy Octavia trim from the dealer...

• 2 weeks later...