Removing the battery

Despite being quite mechanically minded, I cannot work out how to remove the plastic cover....... with all the wires attached........ that goes on top of the battery. My battery needs replacing but I'm stuck!! I'd imagine it clips on somehow but can't work out how..... any help much appreciated.

If it is like an Octavia, you pull back and upwards at the rear, it is fastened by 2 lugs which slide under 2 very small letter box style slots either side :thumbup:

It seems to be fastened at the rear and sides....... tried pulling as directed but no joy!! Any further suggestions welcomed!

....and if i am not wrong always take the negative poll first off and then the potive.........

Always take the positive off first then the negative. If you take the negative off first you still got the load going through the vehicle from the positive and if u touch the negative end and accidentally touch the metal work of the car you will have the full load going through your body. We get this alot on electrical installations where neutrals have been "borrowed" and believe me I rather touch a live cable rather than neutral under load

Take the negative off first because it is connected to the chassis anyway so no big sparks if you touch any metalwork with your spanner. Then take the positive off as now with no negative connection it doesn't matter if you touch anything metal.

For the same reasons when refitting connect and fully tighten the positive before connecting the negative.

I've looked at mine and wondered how to remove the positive as and when I need to.

Edited by delta925

Negative off 1st then positive, heres why, one of a thousand posts saying why! http://7faq.com/owba...ctingTheBattery

It is interesting reading and I can see the logic behind it but that's probably why the motor industry and the electrical industry differ. I will never use an uninsulated tool to undo any sort of live connection( a neutral/negative earth is classed as a live cable) so I can see the logic of positive 1st using a metal spanner/ratchet in a confined space

As for the original post will look at Father-in laws car when I see him, he has a fabia M2 trim model 3

Never removed the battery.

But when I look at the top of the battery there are a number of wires going into a plastic housing.

If you are trying to remove the top of the housing then I have done that.

The plastic top is held on with two lugs at the front and I think two at the back.

I pushed the plastic back as far as I could then took a small screw driver and carefully leavered the top off the plastic housing.