Show us your Yeti winter wheels

I'm afraid you will be looking for a set of NEW calipers as very few Yeti's seem to have been scrapped, especially if you consider how relatively rare they are.

Rare callipers too; these Lucas units were only used on the very early TDI 140, 1.8 TSI and an odd one or two 170's. Had the same set-up on my first early production SE

4428577933_63e99f24fa_z.jpg

Found the offside calliper on ebay but not the nearside;

My link

TP

They are not that rare, cheers Plumber.

Volkswagen.

Eos 2006 - 2011.

Golf 2004 onwards.

Golf Plus 2005 - 2009.

Jetta 2006 - 2011.

Scirocco 200 onwards.

Touran 2003 - 2010.

Audi.

A3 2004 onwards.

TT 2007 onwards.

Skoda.

Octavia 2004 onwards.

Superb 2008 onwards.

Yeti 2010 onwards.

Seat.

Altea 2007 - 2010.

Toledo 2005 - 2009.

They are not that rare, cheers Plumber.

Volkswagen.

Eos 2006 - 2011.

Golf 2004 onwards.

Golf Plus 2005 - 2009.

Jetta 2006 - 2011.

Scirocco 200 onwards.

Touran 2003 - 2010.

Audi.

A3 2004 onwards.

TT 2007 onwards.

Skoda.

Octavia 2004 onwards.

Superb 2008 onwards.

Yeti 2010 onwards.

Seat.

Altea 2007 - 2010.

Toledo 2005 - 2009.

Apologies meant as in fitted to a Yeti :giggle:

TP

Now that we've cleared all that (re the stupidity of fitting 15" wheels) lets get back OT:

I've finally fitted my new silver winter wheels and my little Å koda centre caps. They look fantastic even if I have to say so myself!

Before (and with tail hanging due to the weight of the four steel wheels in the boot):

photo3sm.jpg

After:

photo2id.jpg

photo8xu.jpg

photo9vn.jpg

The silver wheels also really means you have to get centre caps. Without them the nakedness in the middle is far more obvious than on black wheels.

Without centre cap:

photo6hca.jpg

With centre cap:

photo7yo.jpg

Also to note: there is a very reasuring "click" when you clip the centre caps on. There is no way they will fall off.

Did I notice any difference in handling? Not one bit. They felt the same and the only thing you do notice is that they are a lot noisier. More so than the winter tyres I had on last year if memory serves. Over speed bumps they even felt harder if anything - due to the extra presure over standard I'm sure. So still not convinced about the need to order a car with this size as standard.

I find myself agreeing with Llanigraham, yet again; this time regarding that brake modification. Not known for my inabilty/unwillingness to make modifications to my cars, I only ever (I hope) modify "upwards" and not t'other way round like removing parts of the brake.

Came past Llanidloes last night, Graham, and heard the "bing" low temperature warning for the first time, maxidot showing three degrees celsius. By the time I arrived home, late at night, temperature had returned to a balmy(!) seven degrees.

PS Was it you who removed the speed camera on the bypass about 15 years ago! :giggle: If so... thanks!

Edited by freedie

Now that we've cleared all that (re the stupidity of fitting 15" wheels) lets get back OT:

Totally agree, I've got nothing against discussing brake calipers etc but for about 15 posts I've been expecting to see piccies of Winter Wellies (or is that wheelies)! :doh:

Totally agree, I've got nothing against discussing brake calipers etc but for about 15 posts I've been expecting to see piccies of Winter Wellies (or is that wheelies)! :doh:

+1

I think the person in question knows his foolish ways now as has been pointed out ad infinitum. So lets park that (or create a new thread for it please). So onwards and upwards with pictures of Yeti winter wheels please to stay OT! :giggle:

Only thing wrong with your new centre caps Johann is that you haven't aligned them with the valves! :p

If you have set your badges correctly in the trims, you'll note that with the valve at the bottom (next to the ground), you can fit your centre caps so that your badge is then exactly the right way up.

If you think I'm being daft, have a look at T5 trims (and many others from VAG including I suspect RIF). They have a symbol on the reverse so that when you align them to the valve, they are always the right way up if you park with the valve at the bottom of the wheel (as you always do of course!). I think the centre badges on our original alloys have an index mark to achieve this too.

Those Germans eh, they think of everything? :giggle:

Only thing wrong with your new centre caps Johann is that you haven't aligned them with the valves! :p

If you have set your badges correctly in the trims, you'll note that with the valve at the bottom (next to the ground), you can fit your centre caps so that your badge is then exactly the right way up.

If you think I'm being daft, have a look at T5 trims (and many others from VAG including I suspect RIF). They have a symbol on the reverse so that when you align them to the valve, they are always the right way up if you park with the valve at the bottom of the wheel (as you always do of course!). I think the centre badges on our original alloys have an index mark to achieve this too.

Those Germans eh, they think of everything? :giggle:

Well I be never........ :giggle: It is not really something that unduly worries me since the wheels will never park in that fashion but I do like that sort of detail. I'll have a think about moving them then! Though in saying that I don't think I've ever parked (knowingly) with all the valves at the bottom so I'm not going to stress about this too much. I put them up for these pics so you could read the Å koda bit and that would be last time I look at or think about which way the words point to be honest!

Obviously, even if you start out with all the valves at the bottom, each time you drive the car you'll return with the valve on each wheel in a different place in relation to the ground, thanks to corners, but isn't it amazing that the Germans are that pernickety!

& of course, it was worth a wind up mate!!! :giggle:

Obviously, even if you start out with all the valves at the bottom, each time you drive the car you'll return with the valve on each wheel in a different place in relation to the ground, thanks to corners, but isn't it amazing that the Germans are that pernickety!

& of course, it was worth a wind up mate!!! :giggle:

Oh but I LOVE things like this. "God is in the details" as any architect will tell you!

I find myself agreeing with Llanigraham, yet again; this time regarding that brake modification. Not known for my inabilty/unwillingness to make modifications to my cars, I only ever (I hope) modify "upwards" and not t'other way round like removing parts of the brake.

Came past Llanidloes last night, Graham, and heard the "bing" low temperature warning for the first time, maxidot showing three degrees celsius. By the time I arrived home, late at night, temperature had returned to a balmy(!) seven degrees.

PS Was it you who removed the speed camera on the bypass about 15 years ago! :giggle: If so... thanks!

You should have dropped in!!

And no it wasn't me that took it away, the CC did it themselves about 3 years ago, as it had NEVER actually worked!!

Seems rude not to add a quick pic of TIBET with its winter shoes on (last weekend) Tibetan White with just a hint of dirt or is it Cappuccino appearing ;) and a trolley full of Spitzbergs (and nearly worn out front Goodyears - 25000 miles).

fuji051211001.jpg

Tyres are Nankang SV-2 - 215/60 16" on Skoda steels with Rif trims (wheels and trims from Allams).

I went down that tyre route as when I went to get some (last January) most other types had sold out. They were a bargain so it wasn't a huge amount of money to lose if the cheaper option was a bad idea. Then of course it didn't snow... One review of the Nankangs was from who proclaimed to have the most useless car ever invented for driving in the snow - a BMW 330d auto coupe. He reckoned it turned it into like driving on a dry road.

No real appreciable increase in tyre noise, the only real difference is the extra body roll in the bends with the deeper sidewalls and the ride is definitely softer. I do like the way TIBET goes round bends in the summer time so I won't be sticking to 16s all year round. :no: The extra grip this morning was very noticeable - especially as the Goodyears on the front were getting a bit slim on tread.

And for the new folk around here, what TIBET looked like in the snow the previous year when it was just a young cub:

200912190005.jpg

Edited by aerofurb

Hi Johann,

strange request but here you go one rear nearside winter wheel assembly in all it's glory :rofl:

6443203459_e9182ef8ce.jpg

6443197795_d81ba495f7.jpg

6443200725_227a688dcc.jpg

6443194241_f1d217e5d9.jpg

VAG Rim 7Jx16 ET45

Hankook Winter i*cept evo (W310) 215/60 R16 99H XL tyre

Skoda Rif wheel trim

TP

I'm looking to purchase a complete set of steels and winter tyres but wasn't to keen on Johanns original smaller wheels.

Are these wheels the slightly larger ones normally used on a caddy? I take it the wheel trims are from the basic Yeti and just purchased from Skoda but don't suppose you have a part number for the VAG rims?

I'm looking to purchase a complete set of steels and winter tyres but wasn't to keen on Johanns original smaller wheels.

Are these wheels the slightly larger ones normally used on a caddy? I take it the wheel trims are from the basic Yeti and just purchased from Skoda but don't suppose you have a part number for the VAG rims?

The rims, tyre size and trims are identical to those used on the Yeti E, part numbers for these can be found in the Yeti tyre/rim guide

My link

Regards,

TP

Here's my Yeti kitted up with winters - they're Spectrum alloys (from the Superb) with Dunlop 4D tyres. JR from Allams arranged the supply and fit brilliantly about 5 weeks ago.

I notice both davecarter and LondonLes have the 4D tyres too; I'd be glad to hear their long-term comments (in the Winter Tyres section, of course!).

post-30269-0-92012700-1323299790_thumb.jpg

post-30269-0-49302800-1323299794_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Holy Thread resurrection BatMan!

Anyway, inspired by some of the pictures on this very thread I decided to buy a set of genuine Skoda Rif wheel trims for my steel winter wheels.  I bought the wheels and tyres from a fellow Briskodian and they came with the rather popular VW van type centre covers, but I think the silver wheel trims suit the silver car better.  Here's some photos - apologies for the quality, it was dark by the time my other half finished fitting them :giggle:

yetiwinter3Medium_zps94020de1.jpg

yetiwinter1Medium_zps8bb3ffd4.jpg

yetiwinter2Medium_zps0b5de711.jpg