Cambelt change on 2ltr tdi 170?

I spoke to Skoda CS the other day about this and they told me the interval on my CR170 (CFGB) was 130,000 miles OR 4 years, whichever comes first. I would recommend seeking the interval for your specific vehicle from Skoda themselves as they can/will check against your chassis number as the spec could vary. Not all CR170s are born equal, mine is a CFGB while others (earlier IIRC) are CBBB.

The chap also mentioned the Skoda national pricing system so make sure you aren't roasted on the price - and get the water pump done at the same time.

08457 745 745

...and another thread to the tune of VW UK con 4 years timing belt replacement ripoff Britain song.

Change belt at mileage specified in your car's Service Schedule book, prior to mandated change inspect belt at intervals that are also specified in the Service Schedule book, and only replace if the belt shows signs of wear. There is no time limit on Skoda cars, time limit was "invented" by VW Milton Keynes to rip off customers by performing unneccessary timing belt jobs. No other country Skoda dealership network in Europe recommends timing belt changes at a time limit, neither do Elsa and Bentley car service manuals. The VW UK con has been going on for at least 6 years, it would have been extemely unlikely that Skoda Auto Czech Republic had not updated the Service Schedule booklets in 6 years (and they actually had no less than 5 new models/booklets since then!)

Re belt snapping and ruining the engine, you are far, far more likely to experience mistimed / snapped belt and/or broken engine following botched timing belt job than because of ageing. I have a first hand experience of this, refer to earlier posts I made. More info here:

http://www.briskoda....s/#entry2985059

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On my previous car, L&K Octavia 130 pd diesel Estate I had to have the belt changed at 4 yrs despite the car only having done 17,000 miles. The handbook said 60,000 or 5 yrs, whichever came first but Skoda told me the time had been lessened as some belts were snapping prior to the 5 yr period. So I had it done and I cannot imagine a 170 bhp engine having a longer period. If I were the enquirer re this question I would e mail Skoda so that you get an e mail back stating what the replacement period is. You then have it " in writing " form the " experts ".

On my previous car, L&K Octavia 130 pd diesel Estate I had to have the belt changed at 4 yrs despite the car only having done 17,000 miles. The handbook said 60,000 or 5 yrs, whichever came first but Skoda told me the time had been lessened as some belts were snapping prior to the 5 yr period. So I had it done and I cannot imagine a 170 bhp engine having a longer period. If I were the enquirer re this question I would e mail Skoda so that you get an e mail back stating what the replacement period is. You then have it " in writing " form the " experts ".

its a longer period as its a totally different engine and totally different belt.

They now use lifetime Continental belts which is clearly why they are 120k intervals and are designed to last 10years plus. It states this on the continental website.

As said above the 4 years thing is a suk con as the 2012 handbooks still don't state a time period for replacement.

In the service schedule for Superb/Octavia Anglicky 05.10.

You will find in this edition of the Service Schedule page 4 EVERY 60 000km or after 4 years ( whichever comes first) there is no mention of toothed belt inspection or change.

You will find in this edition of the Service Schedule page 4 IN ADDITION EVERY 150 000km Replace toothed belt ( diesel engines PD)

It clearly states on page 5 IN ADDITION EVERY 210 000 km Replace toothed belt ( diesel engines TDI-CR - Common Rail, not valid for engine codes CEGA, CDBD AND CBBB)

Different distances are given for petrol engines.

Interesting. When I took my car in for a service a couple of months ago, I was told that the cambelt should be changed at 4 years or 80,000 miles.

As it was a lease car (so I wasn't paying), I didn't see any point in arguing, especially as I was considering buying it at the end of the lease.

Total cost was £748 for the belt change, and the service.

• Like 1

its a longer period as its a totally different engine and totally different belt.

They now use lifetime Continental belts which is clearly why they are 120k intervals and are designed to last 10years plus. It states this on the continental website.

As said above the 4 years thing is a suk con as the 2012 handbooks still don't state a time period for replacement.

I have now looked at the Service Schedule which covers models Superb, Octavia and Yeti. The first reference to the belt ( ribbed V-belt to be precise ) comes surprisingly towards the end of a list of such items as anti-freeze, bonnet mechanism lubrication, headlight settings etc thereby suggesting the belt is not too important, all under the heading " Every 60,000k or 4 yrs wecf. " Even then the belt only warrants inspection of condition and tension. At 90,000k is the belt on petrol engines to be further checked, at 150,000 k belts on diesels be replaced but PD versions only. At 180,000k petrol engine belts get replaced and not until 210,000 do CR diesel belts get replaced. I assume in any intervening 4 yearly intervals the inspections should take place. There are certain exemptions mentioned throughout so every owner must check their own S S manual to make sure they comply, but it looks as though the belts on C R diesel engines have been given a much longer lease of life?

I have now looked at the Service Schedule which covers models Superb, Octavia and Yeti. The first reference to the belt ( ribbed V-belt to be precise ) comes surprisingly towards the end of a list of such items as anti-freeze, bonnet mechanism lubrication, headlight settings etc thereby suggesting the belt is not too important, all under the heading " Every 60,000k or 4 yrs wecf. " Even then the belt only warrants inspection of condition and tension. At 90,000k is the belt on petrol engines to be further checked, at 150,000 k belts on diesels be replaced but PD versions only. At 180,000k petrol engine belts get replaced and not until 210,000 do CR diesel belts get replaced. I assume in any intervening 4 yearly intervals the inspections should take place. There are certain exemptions mentioned throughout so every owner must check their own S S manual to make sure they comply, but it looks as though the belts on C R diesel engines have been given a much longer lease of life?

The ribbed v belt is not the timing belt, This drives the alternator airconditioning compressor pump etc., this is a multiple v section belt, entirely unsuitable as a timing belt as it is a friction drive from the crankshaft pulley and of course if it slipped the timing would slip and the engine ruined. This is what was called the fan belt many years ago.

The timing belt is basically a flat & notched belt that is driven from the toothed part of the crankshaft pulley which has teeth like the camshaft pulley, this is not a friction drive but a notched belt drive that ensures the camshaft and crankshaft pulley's are always in the correct timed position.

Retired Motor Vehicle Technician with over 40 years experience, I would post the Elsa win diagrams and instrucions but they are too large to post in this section.

...and another thread to the tune of VW UK con 4 years timing belt replacement ripoff Britain song.

Yawn :yawn:

Whether the belt has a 15 minute or 30 year design life is irrelevant.

Skoda UK state 4 years.

Had a leaking pump changed under warranty at 42k miles last week, a known fault so?

My local dealer (since de-franchised) insisted I had a leaking water pump and changed both water pump and belt at 40,000 miles. Personally I think they were spoofing as I didn't notice any coolant loss.

In any case, the mechanic did say the water pumps were not the most reliable, many of them did leak.

I had my car in for some warranty work and was told I needed to have the water pump replaced as they were poor and mine was leaking. I got the work done under warranty, they replaced the timing belt at the same time.

However, between the "problem" being diagnosed and the pump being replaced, i did 2,000km and the car did not leak one single drop of water.

It was a scam to get some work for the garage. With a lot of known water pump failures they could easily justify the cost to SKODA.

Mind you, they have since lost their franchise.

Yes it does, as long as the full words are "4 years belt is VAG UK con, no-one else in Europe demands this, UK cars are sold under EU regulations so there is no legal basis for VAG UK to stand on".

Then comes the chorus: "Use Small Claims Court if a stealer tries to pull the 4 years con off and wiggle out of mileage belt responsibility, file a claim online, really simple, attach scan of log book service schedule page and pay 35 quid. Mention that no EU based Skoda dealership network outside UK requires 4 year belt change".

Does not rhyme too well, but certainly better than your song "4 years, time to line stealer pockets with surplus TB job bill"... though that one seems more catchy for those in the service and repair extortion business...

• Like 1

Have you put your claims to Skoda UK?

If you instead direct your passion and fear about being conned to Skoda UK you might actually receive a plausible response that you could share with the rest of us.

I don't think anyone has any issue with your reasonong behind why the 4 year interval could be overkill, the concern is that you don't also mention the 4 year requirement at the same time. This is misleading and could result in someone choosing not to change their cambelt at 4 years - against the advice offered by Skoda UK.

If your posts started with something similar to this I wouldn't bother responding, it's the way you try and convince others that you are right and Skoda UK is wrong, fine but give the readers the other side of the argument to consider too...

"Skoda UK recommend that the belt is changed at 4 years, but these are the reasons why I would advise you ignore this advice...."

Is there a popcorn icon? I'm loving this thread, being ripped off is something that concerns us all and I'm a rebel willing to 'stick it to the man' and follow European advice (about the only time I will side with euro beaurocrats mind).

So is someone gonna write to SUK to get their justification for fleecing us ( no I'm not volunteering)?

silver1011, if someone sold you a car stating that you must spend £400 every 4 years while the same car was sold without this requirement to everyone else you know, would you still accept that? I wouldn't.

Frankly, I consider it a waste of time writing to SUK or VAGMK for any reason other than legal disputes. I have contacted them with serious enough enquiries 3-4 times in the past and while the initial response was always prompt, it was also inevitably useless. Basically, the standard call centre/customer service brushoff responses. Their "do not care" attitude has directly resulted in me having to import my first 2 Skodas from Ireland as no one would sell me an ESP-equipped Octavia in 2002, nor manual V6TDI Superb with cloth heated seats in 2006. I'd say SUK lost profit on £35k worth of cars...

If I ever have a problem with timing belt on the Roomster, rest assured I will take it all the way to court if neccessary. Until then, myself and others have provided sufficient information on this and other forums for anyone to avoid unneccessary expense of fake belt servicing requirement and to avoid risk of breaking the engine during the TB job.

• Like 1

Until then, myself and others have provided sufficient information on this and other forums for anyone to avoid unneccessary expense of fake belt servicing requirement and to avoid risk of breaking the engine during the TB job.

Agreed, no one is disputing the fact that there is plenty of evidence to suggest the four year interval is an income generating ploy by one arm of the Skoda machine. I for one don't disagree.

However I am also able to look at the issue from the other side of the fence in that some people (me included) prefer to play it safe and adhere to the 4 year stipulation.

So when I see your posts suggesting that anyone who pays £299 for a cambelt change once every 4 years is being conned I feel it neccessary to contribute to the discussion by reminding everyone that the four year interval may actually have some benefits too.

Unless we have different belts to the rest of the EU/World then i am happy to be part of the EU on this one and go with the general masses. I think only Turkey and other deserty type places have an age restriction due to the fine dust/sand damaging the belt. Last time i looked the UK doesn't have that.

Unless SUK or a dealer tells me (either my supplying dealer in London or my local dealer i am registered with for servicing....They send me enough advertising flyers), that there is an error in the book and it should say 4 years then i for one will not be changing my belt until 120k. IF i do get any notification of this, i will then question the fact that this 'mis' information is still being printed in the MY13 service books.

SUK know that people in Britain are sheep and will do what everyone else does and are too scared to complain. This is why nowhere else in europe does it as they wouldn't get away with it!

• 11 months later...

My local dealer (since de-franchised) insisted I had a leaking water pump and changed both water pump and belt at 40,000 miles. Personally I think they were spoofing as I didn't notice any coolant loss.

In any case, the mechanic did say the water pumps were not the most reliable, many of them did leak.

Double post (in a way), but the timing belt went in my car last night with 120,000km on the clock (approx 75k miles).

Sorry to hear that Supeeeeerb, How old is your car? I hope for your sake it's under 4 years old.

It's a leased car and the issue is now being debated between SKODA and the Lease company.

Ironic, I get the AWD primarily because I live on the top of a North facing hill and the belt snaps the week before we have Winter forecasted to arrive, in a big way.

Car is being stripped down to assess the damage. There's a delay due to SKODA being unwilling to countenance any contribution towards the repair. The car was serviced, to Skoda recommended service intervals in an independent BOSCH accredited workshop. Due to this SKODA are trying to wrangle out of their obligations. I pointed out to them how ironic the problem has occurred due to the only piece of work done to the car in a SKODA garage.

• 1 year later...

Just wonder g does anyone know roughly the number of hours labour a pump and belt change involves with eithe skoda or a competent mechanic? Just ballpark figure

Three to four hours for belt and water pump would be normal enough.  Should be no more than half a day anyway but if getting it done through a dealer expect to leave it there for the day.

• Like 1