How To: EVAP and VAC Breather Lines simplification

Bowders1

Part 1. Breather System Simplification

Thought I would add this guide to the techi section as I did it some time back and folks were asking for it again..

This completes the previous modifications and simplifications I have already done to the engine bay area, and if anyone is considering this perhaps they should consider undergoing the previous items on the threads below first or at the same time as it makes sense.

As I have already removed the SAI, N249, N112 and did the OCC conversion,there was not much else to do.

Thread I covered before on removing those items,

http://briskoda.net/...d-n112-removal/ (need to redo pics on this guide as lost all photo in photobucket, so annoying)

Also I did an OCC install which has changed how the original piping is routed. Folks following this guide should be aware of this.

OCC Install thread here

http://briskoda.net/...c-installation/

The following pic is courtesy of Rob’s handy work and shows the standard layout of all the colored systems and piping in place on the VRS,

My VRS is missing all of those apart from the items I am now focusing on which is the Evap system (pictured in green) and the Vac system (pictured in blue)

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification.jpg

Remove engine plastic covers

So first start off with removing the vac piping at the top of the inlet manifold.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification1.jp

Twin Pipe to brake servo hose now removed and hose in place now exposed

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification2.jp

One way valve to brake servo pipe should be retained.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification3.jp

Add new hose to the one way valve and join up to the exposed pipe to servo

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification4.jp

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification5.jp

Next remove the metal bracket that is fixed to the inlet manifold with 2 allen screws or bolts to get to the lower vac piping under manifold. ( I still retain this bracket, only to hold the small plastic engine cover, as I have no N112 or N249 attached anymore) If you folks do then it will be a lot more fiddly to get to the vac piping.

Remove the vac lines which consist of 2 pipe connections at the front lower manifold by the dipstick, a hose going into a T piece with one way valve. A large hose coming from my OCC. A hose coming off the one way valve and up through inlet manifold to the brake servo hose you would of removed earlier. And lastly a pipe routed to a hardline that goes up and over the rocker cover. To remove these you need to snap apart the OEM metal clips, easier said than done. I found using a small flat screwdriver to prise the top section apart worked best, but still a knack to it. Then you can just pull out the main pipe to T piece.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification6.jp

T piece still in place to show better shot with my OCC pipe routed to it..

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification7.jp

Vac pipes removed

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification8.jp

T piece removed

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification9.jp

OCC reconnected directly to 90' elbow

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification10.j

Now cap off the exposed metal tubes coming from the inlet manifold

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification11.j

Some different ways to cap the tubes off, I went with rubber caps.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification12.j

Pic of the hardline that had one of the inlet vac pipes attached can now be removed. This routes to the TIP (turbo inlet pipe)

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification14.j

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification15.j

Pipe removed

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification17.j

Example of some blanking plugs I used.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification18.j

10mm blanking plug fitted to the TIP (you could use a 10mm bolt)

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification19.j

Part 2 to follow as ran up to max pics.

Part 2. Breather System Simplification

Now you can start of the EVAP piping to throttle body.

Remove the hose and second one way valve to the hardline.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification20.jpg

Removed

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification21.jpg

Fit replacement hose to join the 1st one way valve to throttle body

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification22.jpg

Remove the hose that joins the hard line running across the fuel injector rail to the hardline on the temp sensor side on the engine.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification23.jpg

Remove the hose that routes from the turbo to the hardline and blank that hose off with a 8mm blank or bolt.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification24.jpg

I decided to remove the hardlines completely as they were no longer being used, just to tidy engine up some more. They are a little tricky getting out as you will need to undo the 2 allen bolts holding the temp sensor housing in place and pull away teh housing to then pull up the hardlines(a small amount of coolant will be lost, even less if you are quick at relocating housing)

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification25.jpg

Pic showing temp sensor housing and hardlines

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification26.jpg

I decided to clean up the side face of the engine whilst it was clear of pipes

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification28.jpg

All that is left now is to double check all the pipes, blanks and any jubilee clips are tight and secure then refit metal bracket to inlet manifold. Refit plastic engine covers and admire work done.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification29.jpg

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification30.jpg

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification31.jpg

Note: I noticed that my TIP was badly gauged(can only assume it was the hardline and jubilee clips rubbing) and looks like it was nearly through the lining, so to be safe ordered another one. Maybe folks should check there TIP, especially if they get a lot of engine movement.

SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification32.jpg

Hope you find this useful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well am in middle of doing 225 manifold conversion so i can run a normal style intercooler (exits at either end) and it would make life alot easier to plum servo hose back in on manifold only

i wouldnt bother i would run the intercooler pipe work down the side of engine from turbo to front of the car that way you can run the single pass intercooler and the pipe work is shorter and also less heat from turbo and mannifold to heat it up :thumbup:

Its nearly done now, quiet suprised how easy it was to do actually,

Going to run it from pancake for now as need car back on road now but going to change it so it runs like K04 pipework over top of engine so it gets less heat soak off exhaust manifold plus i have a S3 strut brace so to run it other way would be really tight

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Part 1. Breather System Simplification

Thought I would add this guide to the techi section as I did it some time back and folks were asking for it again..

This completes the previous modifications and simplifications I have already done to the engine bay area, and if anyone is considering this perhaps they should consider undergoing the previous items on the threads below first or at the same time as it makes sense.

As I have already removed the SAI, N249, N112 and did the OCC conversion,there was not much else to do.

Thread I covered before on removing those items,http://briskoda.net/...d-n112-removal/ (need to redo pics on this guide as lost all photo in photobucket, so annoying)

Also I did an OCC install which has changed how the original piping is routed. Folks following this guide should be aware of this.

OCC Install thread herehttp://briskoda.net/...c-installation/

The following pic is courtesy of Rob’s handy work and shows the standard layout of all the colored systems and piping in place on the VRS,

My VRS is missing all of those apart from the items I am now focusing on which is the Evap system (pictured in green) and the Vac system (pictured in blue)SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification.jpg

Remove engine plastic covers

So first start off with removing the vac piping at the top of the inlet manifold.SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification1.jp

Twin Pipe to brake servo hose now removed and hose in place now exposedSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification2.jp

One way valve to brake servo pipe should be retained.SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification3.jp

Add new hose to the one way valve and join up to the exposed pipe to servoSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification4.jpSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification5.jp

Next remove the metal bracket that is fixed to the inlet manifold with 2 allen screws or bolts to get to the lower vac piping under manifold. ( I still retain this bracket, only to hold the small plastic engine cover, as I have no N112 or N249 attached anymore) If you folks do then it will be a lot more fiddly to get to the vac piping.

Remove the vac lines which consist of 2 pipe connections at the front lower manifold by the dipstick, a hose going into a T piece with one way valve. A large hose coming from my OCC. A hose coming off the one way valve and up through inlet manifold to the brake servo hose you would of removed earlier. And lastly a pipe routed to a hardline that goes up and over the rocker cover. To remove these you need to snap apart the OEM metal clips, easier said than done. I found using a small flat screwdriver to prise the top section apart worked best, but still a knack to it. Then you can just pull out the main pipe to T piece.SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification6.jp

T piece still in place to show better shot with my OCC pipe routed to it..SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification7.jp

Vac pipes removedSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification8.jp

T piece removedSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification9.jp

OCC reconnected directly to 90' elbowSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification10.j

Now cap off the exposed metal tubes coming from the inlet manifoldSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification11.j

Some different ways to cap the tubes off, I went with rubber caps.SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification12.j

Pic of the hardline that had one of the inlet vac pipes attached can now be removed. This routes to the TIP (turbo inlet pipe)SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification14.jSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification15.j

Pipe removedSkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification17.j

Example of some blanking plugs I used.SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification18.j

10mm blanking plug fitted to the TIP (you could use a 10mm bolt)SkodaVRSbreathersystemsimplification19.j

Part 2 to follow as ran up to max pics.

What size pipes do I need for the 2 under the manifold and where do I get the bungs from?

• 6 months later...

Could anybody tell me what internal diameter the bungs are and I presume the pipe is 19mm internal? Amazing guide by the way!!

cheers

What part are you referring to. the 19mm is the internal dia is for the OCC hoses .

the blanks are a combination of 6, 8 and 10mm off the top of my head.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting p0441 code popping up after doing the evap sai and canister delete. Am I right in thinking this is the canister code? Could I put another resistor in to stop it popping up?

yep that is what i did. As it will be open circuit

• 3 months later...

sorry to bring up an old thread but can anyone tell me what diameter the hose that goes onto the brake servo pipe is and can I use normal silicone or do I need something stronger.

any help is appreciated.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, whilst inspecting the intercooler for leaks the other day I noticed there was a tiny pipe (looked like vacuum hose, hence this thread :)  ) coming down from what seemed to be under the battery and it was gushing air. I couldn't really get a good look as to where it was coming from but i determined it was nothing to do with the boost or intake so thought nothing of it and moved on. a few days later I got to wondering what it was and if it is supposed to be there. Car is octavia mk2 vrs pd170. 

I dont have any warning lights and i cant say iv noticed anything stop working over the 2 years iv had it. Makes me wonder though...

Any thoughts?

Cheers