Alternator Problem

I've read a lot of the topics about alternator problems and I'm pretty sure its the alternator itself which is at fault but would like some reassurance before I buy a replacement. Just before I got home christmas day all of the electrics went, leaving me with just the engine running and the side lights so i managed to crawl the short distance left to home. I checked the voltage on the battery, 12v when the engines off and below 12 when running but no warning lights show up on the dash so it sounds like it might be the load sensor wire problem.

Tonight I tried having a closer look at it, all the cables seem in good condition so I turned the engine on and revved up past 3000 and the battery warning light flickers, then check the voltage, and its 13.5v. However within about 30 seconds the voltage has dropped back down to below 12 and no amount of revving can stir it up again. Does anyone think this sounds like a faulty alternator since all the cables look intact? I'm hoping for a 2nd opinion before I try buying a new one.

I've read a lot of the topics about alternator problems and I'm pretty sure its the alternator itself which is at fault but would like some reassurance before I buy a replacement. Just before I got home christmas day all of the electrics went, leaving me with just the engine running and the side lights so i managed to crawl the short distance left to home. I checked the voltage on the battery, 12v when the engines off and below 12 when running but no warning lights show up on the dash so it sounds like it might be the load sensor wire problem.

Tonight I tried having a closer look at it, all the cables seem in good condition so I turned the engine on and revved up past 3000 and the battery warning light flickers, then check the voltage, and its 13.5v. However within about 30 seconds the voltage has dropped back down to below 12 and no amount of revving can stir it up again. Does anyone think this sounds like a faulty alternator since all the cables look intact? I'm hoping for a 2nd opinion before I try buying a new one.

i just had a very similar problem and it turns out it was the smart charging in the ecu but the ecu is repairable