Mongrel won't start this morning!

Off to hunt for similar but everything seems fine, good battery etdc, but when I do the final turn to start cranking it over, it just does nothing - all light still on dash.... Any ideas? VCDS says no faults. Wondering if the starter motor could have suddenly packed up? Was running fine yesterday!

Forgot to add the squirty fuel pump noise is still there as well when starting.

Sounds like what happens when the starter motor wire snaps. It's possible to see the plug if you look down at the right angle - I think I posted a picture somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it (so maybe I didn't). The gear lever gets in the way a bit, so you want to stick it in... 3rd, I think? Or reverse? and then look down underneath the battery at an angle.

Mine snapped and was repaired by hacking at the plug. It was okay for a while, then started to play up again. I gave the wire a wiggle (possible if you have smaller hands) and it started. I chopped the plug off and re-repaired it not so long back with just a crimp spade connector jobby - hasn't given me a problem since B)

Well, would you adam and eve it! Took me 20 seconds to access the starter motor (moving gear selector by hand once in engine bay :D) and wiggled the plug which looked fine, nothing broken/loose, but the bloody thing only started after that.

Best bit was one of the partners of the firm who lives near me (who got a bit drunk last night at a partners meeting, as is traditional ;)) was standing by bemused watching me do all this. At least he got a lift to work and saved us both a one mile walk :D:thumbup:

Going to have to keep my eye on this one but at least I know the starter motor itself is fine.

PS - the start up smoke coming from the exhaust manifold was immense! It must be warping more and more! :(

There will be a fracture in the wire making a partial connection when the wire is in the right angle. Wiggleling is a good temporary fix to get you home, but sooner or later it will snap completely and then you will need someone to hold the wires together while turning the ignition, not something you want to get caught out with on a cold wet night! I would suggest sorting out a quick, cheap repair, a new bit of loom, soldering iron and a bit of insulator tape and you won't need to think about it again...

Edited by SkodaFabiaOwner

Best bit was one of the partners of the firm who lives near me (who got a bit drunk last night at a partners meeting, as is traditional ;)) was standing by bemused watching me do all this. At least he got a lift to work and saved us both a one mile walk :D:thumbup:

I'm outraged that you have time for a partners :party: meeting in January :p - some of us within the profession seem to be rather busy :p

Glad you sorted the problem though :thumbup:

Edited by Gareth_1.8T

I'm outraged that you have time for a partners :party: meeting in January :p - some of us within the profession seem to be rather busy :p

Glad you sorted the problem though :thumbup:

I wish I was partner LOL. No, I am a mere minion, but have qualified about 14 months ago. The partner of the firm just lives 2 streets up and was passing at the right time. :thumbup:

Car started fine when I left work so fingers crossed no more repeats until I get to look at it properly.