I have my first rattle

As above, got my first rattle on my Superb and it's annoying me, and proving difficult to track down.

It's coming from the glovebox area, and the bizarre thing is that if I open the glove box, the rattle disappears, so I can drive round with the glove box open rattle free :)

Has anyone had any rattles in said location, something behind the glovebox? glovebox catch or hinge mechanism?

Cheers

Fluff'

I have had this annoying rattle. I had my wife track it down when I was driving along a bumpy road. She found by adjusting the nearside air vent she could get it to stop.

Good luck

I will have a fiddle with the vent and see what happen's. If that does not work I will strip the glovebox out this week and have a look at it and see what I can see. One thing I noticed is that the catch on the glovebox lid seems a little loose, but looking at an ETKA diagram there seems to be no way to adjust it, so perhaps that's the culprit

cheers

Fluff

I also have this glovebox rattle. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to start after in the car for at least an hour. Opening the glovebox stops the rattle instantly. I have greased the plastic "pins" that fit into the holes in the glovebox sides when it is closed and fitted self adhesive foam pads to the top and inside edges of the govebox lid but the rattle persists. Anything else worth trying?

I also have.. when car is cold

My Superb Combi has more rattles than my previous Superb Twindoor. By way of comparison, my Octy hatch was completely rattle free, even after four years and 115,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads i had this when i first bought my 2010 Superb it took me a few days to nail where it was coming from i thought it was coming from the glovebox but after inspection i found it was the panel at the side of the glovebox where the door closes , i took this off and put bluetack on the pins worked a treat lol no more rattles.

Hope that helps.

Hi lads i had this when i first bought my 2010 Superb it took me a few days to nail where it was coming from i thought it was coming from the glovebox but after inspection i found it was the panel at the side of the glovebox where the door closes , i took this off and put bluetack on the pins worked a treat lol no more rattles.

Hope that helps.

Genius :-) It's worked.

I had no bluetack to hand so I just popped some Duck Tape over the holes that the spring clips fit into and gave it a firm "wallop" and now no more glove box area rattle. Thanks!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Genius :-) It's worked.

I had no bluetack to hand so I just popped some Duck Tape over the holes that the spring clips fit into and gave it a firm "wallop" and now no more glove box area rattle. Thanks!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Not a bother Fluffmeister :-)

I also had this rattle for ages, took the trim that runs the length of the dash off and greased, no fix.

Took the vent out, dismantled and greased, no fix

Put a little bit of card behind the trim to the left of the glove box where the door loses and rattle gone.

Interesting that I asked my dealer to look at it who dismantled various parts of the dash but also failed to fix it.

Perhaps they need to get themselves a login name for this forum :giggle:

Hi Guys

A very useful thread as I think I have the same rattle coming apparently from the front of the nearside door (and only when the outside and the car is cold). So I would like to remove the trim on the outer edge of the glove compartment area where the door closes and apply bluetack as described in a previous post.

However, I am not clear how to remove this piece of trim - does it just prise off, or is there a special trick to get it off?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Paul R T

• 6 months later...

You gotta love this forum. I too have the very same rattle coming from the passenger side, seemingly from around or behind the glovebox. It only ever seems to happen when the car has been running a while, and seems to resonate worse at idle when queuing in traffic.

First job for me tomorrow will be to check out that side panel and see if the 'fix' solves my problem to :-)

Hmmmmmm guess my rattle is caused by something else :-

The search will continue, with a little luck I'll find it soon and fix it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Well I had that side part off again and packed some more bluetack in there, then I went underneath the glove box to check out the pollen filter housing. Decided to check out the state of the filter and muck fell out all over the footwell, it could do with changing. Whilst I was down there I noticed the unit with the five or six outlets moves back and forth a little to freely and when giving it a little flick it does have a rattly noise to it. So I wedged some stuff up there to stop it from moving, replaced the pollen filter and slid the housing back together.

This time the rattle seems to have gone, but I'm not holding my breath just yet. If it hasn't returned by next week then I know its sorted :D

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Mine is rattling like a ****** again, still appears to be coming from the left glove box but also sounds like its coming from the left front door area.

On anything less than a billiard table like surface it rattles worse than my 13year old MX5 did.

I need to get it into the dealer to get it sorted, there's only so much blu tacking and self investigation I am prepared to do :-)

I have something similar, but more of a resonance than a rattle. It comes from the same area as above when the engine is under slight load at around 1500 rpm. I have investigated it yet.

My major one is actually more of a resonance to thinking about it, I have 2 "noises" one rattle that vanishes if you open the glovebox lid (I have stripped it and can't find anything loose) and one resonance which is the real pain in the arse as it's constant if you are on standard UK roads :-)

Turning the radio up is working for now, but it's taking a bit of shine off the car for me.

One thing for you to check mate, is one that I eliminated, the battery cover in the engine bay, mine was loose after Skoda assist came out to jump start the car when it had a flat battery, that manifested itself at around 2 - 2.5k rpm on mine, mine is a petrol though.

Edited by fluffmeister

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I spoke to soon as my rattle came back, and like a couple of the posts mine seems to resonate, specifically on idle but more so at 1500rpm.

It happens every now and then when you come to a standstill but gets more frequent when in stop start rush hour traffic.

Gonna head back out to the car in a little while armed with tools and my torch to get see if I can get a proper look around under the dash from the passenger side and even at the back of the engine bay from the middle to the passenger side just in case there is something loose round there that could rattle and resonate.

If anyone has any further thoughts, clues, ideas or even solutions please feel free to me/us know as its bugging the hell out of me now lol

Right, thought I would post what I found. At this stage I have no idea if I have solved it or not, but the next few days should give some kind of answer.

Decided that because my investigations inside the car and implementing the blue tack solution hadn't worked that I would start my search in the engine bay instead. Having a good look down the back of the engine bay nearest to the passenger side, you can see the silver material lining the back, so I decided to see if the is solid, stuck well or if it freely moves etc. So I stuck my hand/arm down through the gap at the top left hand side of the battery down to the lining and gave it a reasonable tapping, to which it vibrated and resonated back at me each time I hit it. Although I get the sense that it wasn't the actual lining that was resonating but whatever lives behind it.

So I tried holding my thumb firmly against the lining and then giving it another tapping with my fingers and as you would expect there was silence. As it happens there is a thin solid pipe that runs along that piece of the engine bay and there is a plastic clip that holds the pipe in place, so I wedged an old allen key between the piping and the lining and then ever so slightly dug the bottom end of the allen key into the lining so that it can't ever work its way free downwards.

After doing this I tapped the area once again and there is now silence where there was once a rattle/vibration/resonance. Like I say, no idea if this is the same rattle that I get in the car at 1500rpm or not but I will let you all know if it appears to still be there or not over the next few days.

Well I went out last night to get some bits from the shops and drop off some charity stuff and made the drive last half an hour or so and in that time I came to several standstills at junctions, traffic lights etc and there was no sign of the vibrating sound.

I have a few jobs lined up today that means I'll be covering another couple of hours worth of driving and if there is still no sign of it then I guess its solved.

I'll then stick up some pictures to give a clearer idea of where it is and how I sorted it out.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2