Spark plug change - VRS stage 1

Firstly, many thanks to Hayden for the tool he sent in order to make this nightmarish job that little bit easier emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Yes, it was pretty straightforward besides the dreaded drivers side plug emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Had to move basically everything above the coil pack as it's near impossible to lift it out (and unplug the supply) without doing this.

The plugs did seem pretty loose to me ? Not hand loose, but hardly any effort was used to free them. Maybe they're meant to be that way, who knows. emoticon-0145-shake.gif

Did them 1 at a time from right to 'dreaded' left. The new NGKs were pretty much pre-gapped at 0.66mm, but I double checked them anyway.

The ones that came out looked as if they'd been in the car for well, see for yourself ......

20120201_122044.jpg

20120201_121940.jpg

Image what I said when I removed them ! 2000 miles old ! emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

Looks as though they've been in for fookin ages !

Proper 'gungy' and sticky as well. Even the ceramic was sticky.The coil packs are completely unmarked though, so they're straight back on without a hitch.

Anyway, the new ones are in and the car runs VERY nicely. There is no more EML when booting over 5k and it runs Smoooooooothly. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Best thing I've done on the car to date and no doubt that they will be getting replaced regulary (maybe 10k intervals)

they look brilliant compared to mine after 7k :o

These are from Big grays after 4k-Cylinder 4 has got so hot its gone white!!!!! Mine mad ehtese look lame :(

Now you see why i chnaged plugs and got the Pace radiator to reduce the heat on these plugs.

post-38036-0-82046100-1328108657_thumb.jpg

Anyway, the new ones are in and the car runs VERY nicely. There is no more EML when booting over 5k and it runs Smoooooooothly. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Best thing I've done on the car to date and no doubt that they will be getting replaced regulary (maybe 10k intervals)

I suppose they are even more necessary on mapped cars? I've booted mine regularly around 6K but had no EMLs or strange power losses yet during these 6 months of ownership. I do however recall some unlucky owners who had plugs failing despite the fact their car was 100% stock.

I wonder whether a dealer would agree to replace a faulty plug under warranty If the car was mapped... I doubt I could do that myself so that's another point, keeping me from a remap... (For now :p )

Glad it helped mate!

I'll have to take a pic of mine tonight and get them up, mine where in a bad state too. I've noticed a difference, the car seems to be a lot smoother once warmed up but I'm still having a really hesitant misfire when cold? when changing gear and the revs drop off for the first 1-2 seconds of the next gear its really hesitant then it pulls hard again? Getting on my wick now, dealers said they have updated the ECU and checked the plugs but I think they said that to get rid of me :rofl:

I got them plugs Stu

those look so so bad, you can really see just how hot these engines get. I suspect they generate more heat than VW had bargained for, it will be interesting in the summer to do some logging on water temps

do skoda change the plugs as part of the 1st service?

those look so so bad, you can really see just how hot these engines get. I suspect they generate more heat than VW had bargained for, it will be interesting in the summer to do some logging on water temps

Nope! Had my first service today, check list and oil change only

One of the things that came up all the time on the RX8 forum was change the plugs on a regular basis and ditch the mazda Oem ones for something that was better and hotter. Also coil packs on the RX8 lead to problems and was recommended change every 30K of mileage. Also with the spark plugs all the owners recommended replacing the leads as well to magnicor. I know our vRS's are not RX8's but maybe the leads for sure are worth a look at replacing with the plugs.

Hopefully this is helpful.

The temps can get very high when logged on vcds, but you don't see any difference on the water temp gauge which doesn't even move. After seeing how high the water temps were getting on mine I got that radiator/intercooler kit. Bye bye hot engine. Heat is a big issue on these engines. Plugs normally don't need changing for about 20k when mapped. These spit their dummy out with only 5k.

all the "normal " people like me: dont panic! the people who have needed to change the plugs have remapped cars, mine is standard, and my plugs have been in for 24,000 miles now, and they are fine, my EML light doesn't come on, and I have no misfire problems...

my car was run very very hard in the summer last year, when it was hot, (as people at the lakes camping meet will testify) and all is well...

I would suggest a remapped car needs uprated plugs, but I would also suggest that all us "norms" who's cars are driven normally, shouldnt panic.

What do you think will happen with them gray??

Honestly couldn't say, I'd just be curious to see how they've handled the heat problem after 5K/10K, see how the three types compare. See if they look as bad as the standard ones do.

Oh right thought you may have experienced them or something. Will interesting to see what revo say when i speak to them tomorrow aswell. I may even 'index 'the plugs aswell. Maybe another .5 bhp gain haha

That will be interesting. If they say they recommend the 'upgraded' plugs to a Revo mapped car, then shame Awesome GTi didn't tell me that when they did my car ...... emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

That will be interesting. If they say they recommend the 'upgraded' plugs to a Revo mapped car, then shame Awesome GTi didn't tell me that when they did my car ...... emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

Could be Revo tested the ones you bought Jonny rather than the 8s