Spark plug change - VRS stage 1

please correct me if I'm wrong, but the pics dont show heat damaged plugs to me, but plugs that are running in a "rich" (overfuelling, which this engine is known for) enviroment.... overheated plugs look cleaner and more, er ... like baked, unglazed, pottery, for want of a better description (without going on google for pics) and less sooty..

everyone seems to be relating this to heat, and these engines do of course run hot, but could it not just be a batch of bad plugs? or plugs substandard that have since been upgraded? (like the door seal rubber on the mark I vRS) ?

they dont look heat damaged to me... granted the replacement plugs people are using may be better at handling heat, but is this proved to be the original problem? again, mine are fine at 24k...

my last car was the 1.9 multijet GP sporting.... now they NEVER had any turbo failures, until there were suddenly a spate of them, that were traced back to Garrett having quality control issues that cause a number of their turbo's to fail on the GPS, any cars without this run of turbo from garrett ran perfectly...

where is techie? :thumbup:

Could be Revo tested the ones you bought Jonny rather than the 8s

Yeah, that's what i'm saying, my car didn't even have 7s let alone 8s. Surely Awesome know from experience that a mapped car would benefit with better plugs ?

A mapped car also benefits from a list of stuff as long as your arm but you wouldn't expect them to tell you it all.

Eh ?

I'm talking about what seems an essential change on a mapped car, nothing else.

I travelled a VERY long way to get the work done so after spending in excess of £700, i'd expect the basics either done or at the very least mentioned. emoticon-0114-dull.gif

please correct me if I'm wrong, but the pics dont show heat damaged plugs to me, but plugs that are running in a "rich" (overfuelling, which this engine is known for) enviroment.... overheated plugs look cleaner and more, er ... like baked, unglazed, pottery, for want of a better description (without going on google for pics) and less sooty..

everyone seems to be relating this to heat, and these engines do of course run hot, but could it not just be a batch of bad plugs? or plugs substandard that have since been upgraded? (like the door seal rubber on the mark I vRS) ?

they dont look heat damaged to me... granted the replacement plugs people are using may be better at handling heat, but is this proved to be the original problem? again, mine are fine at 24k...

my last car was the 1.9 multijet GP sporting.... now they NEVER had any turbo failures, until there were suddenly a spate of them, that were traced back to Garrett having quality control issues that cause a number of their turbo's to fail on the GPS, any cars without this run of turbo from garrett ran perfectly...

where is techie? :thumbup:

The black stuff isnt the heat. BUt where they have burnt 'white' is heat. and its mainly cylinder 3 and 4 that are worst which of course are the ones which are most frequent misfires.

You are right in that mapped cars will highlight spark issues much faster than a stock car will. Higher boost means you need to start running smaller spark plug gaps of a cooler setting otherwise the spark can get 'blownout'. As said above, mine were worse than all of them even the white main body of the spark plug had scorch marks on mine but, in fairness mine has been mapped from 800 miles and shark decided they should run it on 1.6Bar of boost :( , which might go a very long way to explain alot of my heat issues.....

Eh ?

I'm talking about what seems an essential change on a mapped car, nothing else.

I travelled a VERY long way to get the work done so after spending in excess of £700, i'd expect the basics either done or at the very least mentioned. emoticon-0114-dull.gif

Theres nothing normally required of a mapped car. Just weaknesses might arise. onthe TFSI engine, the earlier cars were prone to splitting the membranes within the diverter valve thus loosing boost when mapped. The 1.4TSI engine eats spark plugs. Its no issue, its just what happens when mapped.

I get what your saying and not having a go but was only a month ago revo said the plug change was needed so awesome would have only been going on the info the had at the time. Its like alot of things when modded cars. Only once you've started the journey do you really find out what's along the way.

The black stuff isnt the heat. BUt where they have burnt 'white' is heat. and its mainly cylinder 3 and 4 that are worst which of course are the ones which are most frequent misfires.

You are right in that mapped cars will highlight spark issues much faster than a stock car will. Higher boost means you need to start running smaller spark plug gaps of a cooler setting otherwise the spark can get 'blownout'. As said above, mine were worse than all of them even the white main body of the spark plug had scorch marks on mine but, in fairness mine has been mapped from 800 miles and shark decided they should run it on 1.6Bar of boost :( , which might go a very long way to explain alot of my heat issues.....

Theres nothing normally required of a mapped car. Just weaknesses might arise. onthe TFSI engine, the earlier cars were prone to splitting the membranes within the diverter valve thus loosing boost when mapped. The 1.4TSI engine eats spark plugs. Its no issue, its just what happens when mapped.

+1 it's the white bits that worry me about how much heat these engines produce.

Do you think that the main cause of your heat was the 2 bar set point on the boost that made the turbo run flat out and cause so much heat? Or do they all run as hot as that when tuned, have you seen any temps of a revo car on track?

You are right in that mapped cars will highlight spark issues much faster than a stock car will. Higher boost means you need to start running smaller spark plug gaps of a cooler setting otherwise the spark can get 'blownout'.

Sharkrider is agreeing with you guys re the sooty deposits, and yep you want a nice biscuit colour for the plugs..Er i thought cooler spark plugs are shorter rather than a different gap, eg you could have the SAME gap for a hot or cold plug (its been a loooong time since i sat a C&G MVT exam.

I get what your saying and not having a go but was only a month ago revo said the plug change was needed so awesome would have only been going on the info the had at the time. Its like alot of things when modded cars. Only once you've started the journey do you really find out what's along the way.

Absolutely, I understand mate. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I was just 'venting' a little I feel because not only did I have to change the plugs, but buy a tool to help remove the coil packs, ripped my knuckles on cylinder 1 coil pack and dropped 2 bolts into the 'abyss' below the engine emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

all the "normal " people like me: dont panic! the people who have needed to change the plugs have remapped cars, mine is standard, and my plugs have been in for 24,000 miles now, and they are fine, my EML light doesn't come on, and I have no misfire problems...

my car was run very very hard in the summer last year, when it was hot, (as people at the lakes camping meet will testify) and all is well...

I would suggest a remapped car needs uprated plugs, but I would also suggest that all us "norms" who's cars are driven normally, shouldnt panic.

Not wanting to worry anyone but my plugs have been replaced and my car is completely standard, no changes whatsoever. I've had the misfire problem and the dealer swapped the spark plugs and it solved the problem.

H

Fitted the new plugs. (Bkr8iex a grade cooler than Revo recommend) with the help of a wonderful tool. given the car a good test last night and this morning and it feels good as new. No miss fires or lights. And also no issues with cold starts or ruff idling.

Plugs from 1 and 2 wernt to bad but 3 and 4 were well and truely gone white as anything and really sooty. So the cars obiviously over fueling. Wonder what MPG we could get if the car had proper cooling??

Fitted the new plugs. (Bkr8iex a grade cooler than Revo recommend) with the help of a wonderful tool. given the car a good test last night and this morning and it feels good as new. No miss fires or lights. And also no issues with cold starts or ruff idling.

Plugs from 1 and 2 wernt to bad but 3 and 4 were well and truely gone white as anything and really sooty. So the cars obiviously over fueling. Wonder what MPG we could get if the car had proper cooling??

Got a link? Tempted to change them although the car is running fine. Fuel economy is down a bit but it's cold, doing short journeys etc

Sounds promising mate! Might try them ones next got the 7's at the moment an still sometimes have the rough idle and my misfire wen cold

Hayden,

I had a multiple misfire followed by the EPC light last night emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

To be honest though, it was probably completely my fault. The engine was freezing cold and within 5 minutes, I was up to 6k revs.

A Saxo VTS was up my rear going up a hill, so I childishly took the bait. Silly bugger emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

The EPC light went off after I stopped at the garage and filled up with some high octane.

• 2 years later...

Maybe worth a read .

& a later thread.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/246959-ngk-bkr7eix-2667/page-2

Do not count on getting a long life from these plugs with a Stage 1, or even maybe Sporting driving.

Edited by goneoffSKi