Who needs a LSD

vRSy

Right guys

Rather than just fit limited slip differentials like renault and ford do, VAG have developed the XDS equivalent which essentially is an electronic aid that brakes the spinning wheel giving traction and applies brajkes as required to help the turn in.

Previously ive never been an advocate of it as my inside wheel would easily spin on tight hairpins on track

A bitof research from Hurdy and it turns out that VAG have 3 settings that the XDS can be set on.

Setting Zero - Soft The Fabia vRS is set here as standard.

Setting One - Medium

Setting 2 - Strong

Mine has now been set to setting 2 by Jabbasport via the VCDS cable and laptop and ***& me its better.

Massive improvement in turn in, the inside tyre doesnt spin up no where near as much as before ( and onsider the really cold weather as well) and you can feel it tug the car into a tighter line on corners now.

Massive improvment and at No cost B)

You can also change your brake assist for stronger initial response to the pedal

Changed a couple of the settings in VCDS today, took the car for a spin and the difference is superb.

Changes made.....

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel:

Channel 09 Brake Assist

There are 3 settings for this

0-center (stock setting)

1-small

2-hard

I changed this from the stock 0 setting to 2 and this has made the brake pedal more responsive to smaller inputs. Feels more positive in use, especially under enthusiastic motoring.

Channel 36 XDS

There are 3 settings

0-center (stock setting)

1-weak

2-strong

Again I changed this from 0 to 2 and this one mod alone makes the Polo into a different/better beast under hard driving. It acts almost like my ED30 did with the Quaife and yet doesn't feel as fidgety. Seems more planted around bends and that much better to push through the corner on exit. This mod comes with a five thumbs up...

Word of warning. I researched a bit more on the yank forums about this. Some were scaremongering about CV joints snapping.

Essentially the drive shafts are still being driven whilst the brakes try and slowe them down to stop spinning. So theres quite a lot of shear being applied to the driveshaft/CV joint.

SO IF YOU CHANGE IT and something goes tits, there is a warning here. Im happy to do it still lol

Word of warning. I researched a bit more on the yank forums about this. Some were scaremongering about CV joints snapping.

Essentially the drive shafts are still being driven whilst the brakes try and slowe them down to stop spinning. So theres quite a lot of shear being applied to the driveshaft/CV joint.

SO IF YOU CHANGE IT and something goes tits, there is a warning here. Im happy to do it still lol

Is that with the harder XDS setting, the higher brake setting or both mate?

Exactly - only so much you can do without a proper LSD!

From what I can see with the XDS mod this is just applying more brake to stop the inside wheel from spinning,this will put more heat into the front brakes which struggle to cope on track.

I researched a bit more on the yank forums about this. Some were scaremongering about CV joints snapping...Essentially the drive shafts are still being driven whilst the brakes try and slowe them down to stop spinning. So theres quite a lot of shear being applied to the driveshaft/CV joint.

But is this any different to normal operation? After all the torque is transferred through the diff to the other wheel (which of course if the point). Whereas accelerating full-throttle (with traction) and at top speed, all the torque is being loaded on the CV joints with nowhere else for it to go.

Also isn't this exactly how Audi's Quatro system has worked for very many years?

Edited by pearce_jj

From what I can see with the XDS mod this is just applying more brake to stop the inside wheel from spinning,this will put more heat into the front brakes which struggle to cope on track.

This is true. You have better fluid already, just throw on a set of decent pads and you'll be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Any more news on this? By that I mean who has had it done now and has it been an improvement, any problems etc

not at weston yet , end of march, but I will see if someone can alter the settings on mine, just to medium mind, not hard.... just to see ;)