mlapicki

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Car:2006 Octavia vRS PD200 (Shark) Estate

Posted 06 February 2012 - 21:58

Hi All,

Troubles with the wife's Fabia, 2004 1.4 16v 100bhp, BBZ engine 90k miles.

Oil consumption has been reasonably high for a while - about 1 litre per 3000 miles (ok, not as high as some others here). Checked the oil on Saturday and it was a few cm's below the min on the stick. Topped it back up.

Today, got a call from the wife to say that the Engine Management light was flashing, that there was no power and that it was juddering a lot below 2000rpm. Got home and checked it with a fault code reader - showed 16685 - Misfire on Cylinder 1. So that explains the juddering, and the lack of power is that + limp mode on the ECU.

So, what's it likely to be. From the research I've just done it sounds like it could be anything from a valve head, to a spark plug. Anyone had the same thing? Also sounds like the BBZ doesn't get to play the piston rings game, so the oil consumption could be a red herring.

Thanks

#2 sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Yet another idiot who can drive a car...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 00:48

BBZ can still glaze up or get stuck rings, however you don't say what fuel you use, I'm hoping it's superplus unleaded and not the cheap stuff!

Misfire on cylinder 1 is likely to be caused by the spark plugs/coilpack especially if you've been running standard unleaded, plug erosion happens quickly when the engine is pinking continually, this plug erosion can also cause weak coilpacks to fail.

#3 fabdavrav

fabdavrav

I have VCDS. How do you want your car? R2-D2 or stealth?

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:02

There was also a recent post on here where the person tried everything else and it turned out to be a faulty/worn fuel injector!!!...... B)

#4 mlapicki

mlapicki

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Car:2006 Octavia vRS PD200 (Shark) Estate

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:02

Thanks for the replies - the garage diagnosed it as a coil pack.

It runs on regular unleaded (Esso) - the question is whether the extra £3 per tank is worth it? I'm sure it's been discussed aplenty in other threads. I'll do some reading later.

Thanks again.