chipping a 1.4 16v

deano261

i want to chip a fabia 1.4 16v but i am in two minds whether to go for performance or econcomy. I do want the performance to be there but i dont want to face the huge costs of decreasing the mpg therefore paying more money in fuel.

Also i wouldnt know where to start looking for a chip for the ECU and how much they cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

i want to chip a fabia 1.4 16v but i am in two minds whether to go for performance or econcomy. I do want the performance to be there but i dont want to face the huge costs of decreasing the mpg therefore paying more money in fuel.

Also i wouldnt know where to start looking for a chip for the ECU and how much they cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I might very well be wrong but I think a car with a turbo is the most suitable for a chip upgrade. We had this problem on the Peugeot 306gti/Rallye site and there was very little increase in performace - hence the decision to go down the supercharging route not that that was cheap too.

Have a look at this thread......

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/227645-what-a-weird-day/

140bhp using.....remap, cams, NGK Iridium spark plugs, new panel air filter in OEM housing, new leads...

From ABT!!!!........they don't do this any more... :S

I have in the past tried to get mine remapped...but I have the Magneeti Marrelli ECU and one one company in the UK (can't remember which one) would offer to chip it....and it would have to be a custom level 2 at about £700!!!!..... :o

So I've just made the engine breath easier etc..... :thumbup:

So am I better off just changing a few things like the plugs and making it breathe easier

Yep!!!!!

EDIT

Also use shell Vpower fuel only....best oil...Mobil 1 0w40...and use wynns engine flush every oil change.....(reduces the friction loss in the engine by getting rid of tarnish/carbon/deposits)

Yep!!!!!

EDIT

Also use shell Vpower fuel only....best oil...Mobil 1 0w40...and use wynns engine flush every oil change.....(reduces the friction loss in the engine by getting rid of tarnish/carbon/deposits)

how does shell vpower help it and is it any high octane fuel

as per the above

With turbo engines it's pretty simple to reprogram the ECU to add more boost and more fuel to result in more power.

With an NA engine there isn't that much you can change in the programming of the chip you actually need physcial things instead like better/new plugs and leads (cheap), freer breathing (less cheap), wilder cams (not cheap).

Similar to fabdavrav's experience my brother looked at a remap for his mk2 16v GTi Ibiza and it was £600+ and only likely to get him another 10bhp

how does shell vpower help it and is it any high octane fuel

yep more octane so more power but it'll cost you more at the pumps

I think that with a better air filter and some fettling with the exhaust you will achieve a few more ponies. Unless you are doing some other big mods to the car like the cam etc then a remap is wasted money.

Phil

I'll see if I can get the code of my NGK iridium spark plugs....I got them from my local motor place ( i know the guy who owns the place).

As for them not doing anything.......there will always be doubter's...... :giggle:

From MY expeirance the throttle is sharper and the engine more resposive....all because the spark plug tip is smaller and therfore the spark that is generated is more exposed to the air/fuel mixture as there isn't as much of the "tip" in the way......so a more instant ignition etc

As ABT us it in their 140bhp upgrade......by saying that besides the remap and the cams the rest is just "service items" is a load of b0llocks......ABT have been going for over 100yrs and know a LOT about engine tuning!!!....and they wouldn't spent £10plus/per spark plug if it wasn't needed!!!!!

I've had wars with words with a few other keyboard warriors on here who state "you can't do much with the 1.4....you're just wasting your money"........well if ABT did a 140bhp kit and people on the Club Lupo are getting 185 to 220bhp from the 1.6lt version (still nat asp) and using the cam carrier from the 1.4lt engine (more reliable)....then as far as I'm concerned go and study the FULL principals of engine tuning and UNDERSTAND IT!!!!!!!...or get stuffed!!!! :finger:

P.S.....on a posative note.......I think the leads could be Magnacor 8.5mm leads (KVS race series) as these are red in colour so would look OEM as the OEM are red too.......my next purchase I think...... :giggle: ...well I have toyed with the idea for about 4yrs !!!!!

I think that with a better air filter and some fettling with the exhaust you will achieve a few more ponies. Unless you are doing some other big mods to the car like the cam etc then a remap is wasted money.

Phil

You are erroneously assuming that the engine is in some way 'restricted' by the standard exhaust and air filter, this is simply not true.

Since the pumping efficiency of the engine has not been changed then none of the standard components will need changing, a well designed cold air feed for the standard airbox however, can and will improve performance slightly.

On the other hand if you modify the engine by changing cams, modifying the head or fitting a turbocharger or supercharger then you ARE changing the pumping efficiency and the carefully designed standard parts may start to restrict your engines potential.

ABT have an excellent reputation so they would have determined (using science, not guesswork!) that the standard air filter was restricting their stage 2 1.4 16v tune slightly so they fitted a larger element, they clearly also determined that the standard exhaust was NOT affecting their tune so they left it alone.

They changed the plugs and leads because they were old and were probably affecting performance, even as standard. The other stuff is probably clips and mounts for the fatter plug leads and they may have used a loom extension for their proprietory ECU piggyback unit if fitted.

.....by saying that besides the remap and the cams the rest is just "service items" is a load of b0llocks......ABT have been going for over 100yrs and know a LOT about engine tuning!!!....and they wouldn't spent £10plus/per spark plug if it wasn't needed!!!!!

Oi!!!

No need to be a d1ck, I use the Iridiums as well, have done in all my cars and motorcycles for years now.

They maintain peak performance for much longer and put the coils and leads under far less strain.

NGK BKUR6ET-10 standard plug £3.62 + VAT

NGK BKR6EIX-11 Iridium plug £5.90 + VAT

Go here: http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

£10 per plug indeed!

Pompous amateur.

Edited to show the mild insult.

Edited by sepulchrave

Oi!!!

No need to be a d1ck, I use the Iridiums as well, have done in all my cars and motorcycles for years now.

They maintain peak performance for much longer and put the coils and leads under far less strain.

NGK BKUR6ET-10 standard plug £3.62 + VAT

NGK BKR6EIX-11 Iridium plug £5.90 + VAT

Go here: http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

£10 per plug indeed!

Pompous amateur.

Edited to show the mild insult.

Hang on ....we're having the same conversation split across two threads.........and who's the Pompous amatueur???.....you or me?????? :p

Consider these two phrases:

"I fit this stuff to my car and it makes it feel faster so I'm right" and "I fit this stuff to my customers cars because it makes a measurable difference"

See if you can tell the difference.

Yes I can......

I was just pointing out that I could tell the difference between "unworn OEM spark plugs" and a set of NGK Iridium spark plugs.......and why it would make that difference......and therfore a reason why ABT fitted it as part of their kit....

And all because you said......."Iridium plugs will make NO difference unless your existing plugs are worn."

You're splitting literal hairs needlessly, do you have an Autism Spectrum Disorder?

Show me a dyno result comparing brand new standard plugs with Iridium, I can tell you categorically there will be no measurable difference on such a low powered engine, however do the same test after 10,000 miles and the difference will be obvious, IMO for such a small difference in price it really makes no sense to replace standard plugs with anything else but Iridium.

For what it's worth, I fitted new NGK spark plugs, leads and Mazda coils to my RX-8. No noticeable increase in power, although the new coils made it run a bit smoother as it had a slight dip in power from 4-7k rmp (they were starting to break down - only last around 30k and these were on 40k).

I've had wars with words with a few other keyboard warriors on here who state "you can't do much with the 1.4....you're just wasting your money"........well if ABT did a 140bhp kit and people on the Club Lupo are getting 185 to 220bhp from the 1.6lt version (still nat asp) and using the cam carrier from the 1.4lt engine (more reliable)....then as far as I'm concerned go and study the FULL

Link to said engines?

Has the 1.4 got a knock sensor? If not, High Octane fuel won't do much.

Believe so.

play nice boys

the op just wants some advice not a war of words

Don't try and patronise me with condescending palliative remarks which contribute nothing to this discussion or the thread.

I post well intentioned free advice to help someone solve a problem, save money or understand a principle better and some idiot jack-in-the-boxes and tries to cut the ground out from under me.

Why should I put up with it, I certainly wouldn't expect you to and I'd back you up to boot!

My advice is quite simply don't waste your money on mods which don't work, and don't listen to advice from people who did pointless mods which didn't work. Psychologically what they're trying to do is justify their foolish actions by making others do the same stupid things, because then the multitude voices of idiots will drown out the few voices of reason who remain and that will make the idiots right.

So which side are you on?

Guest BigJase88

I had a 1.6 avy lupo gti

Tbh all thats worth doing

Enclosed filter (bmc piperx etc)

Cat back exhaust

Magnecor ht leads

Decent spark plugs

98 ron fuel

Might gain you 5-10bhp but on an n/a car anything else is pretty pointless unless you have big pockets (turbo'd / supercharged / throttle bodied / cammed)