chipping a 1.4 16v

deano261

Has the 1.4 got a knock sensor? If not, High Octane fuel won't do much.

Yes it does...it's located on the rear of the engine near the oil separator (just up and towards the passenger side from the oil separator...and it points horizontally with an electrical connection coming out and one through fixing bolt........abit like a banjo fitting but in black plastic).... B)

Is this N/A

It doesnt matter if it has a knock sensor or not, they could set a pre-defined ignition timing in WOT maps but leave partial throttle alone - but run the risk.

Bloody good results for a 140BHP but definitely possible with for example, manifold, decat, cam's, tune, catch can, intake, TB, matched intake manifold, exhaust list goes on.

Wouldnt bother with different spark plugs unless you are pushing the timing, therefore you would be best to get something better and 1 stage colder plugs to help prevent det.

Edited by FabiaVRSAJ

Enjoying this thread lol :party:

Personally I would just do a CAI/cone filter - for the noise if nothing else! Take the rear seats out, spare wheel etc and do some'handling' mods and enjoy it.

Its never going to be super fast :(

Bloody good results for a 140BHP but definitely possible with for example, manifold, decat, cam's, tune, catch can, intake, TB, matched intake manifold, exhaust list goes on.

The ABT list on parts for this 140bhp kit is as follows;

New ECU or Remap

NGK iridium Spark Plugs

New leads....could be Magnacor

New camshafts

Better air filter in OEM housing

Stiffer/lowered springs....could be Skoda OEM (Eibach) dealer fit accessory

Link to said engines?

Found out the info on the Club Lupo site.....

Linky...

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8161&st=20

Quoted from forum member "Hope"

I have rolling road tested it at 185bhp @ 7500 rpm and I raced it in the VW cup a couple of seasons ago. More power is available, it's just a matter of how reliable it would be if I let it have another 1000 revs. We saw over 190 bhp when we let it go up to 8000.

Basically you need to start with the 1400 engine and head. The 1600 head has limitations. I know. as I tried that first. Even VW Motorsport in Germany had trouble getting the 1.6 valve gear to be reliable(they had real problems with cams and followers failing)on a 220bhp version. They did offer to supply me a prepared engine and head but only on the basis the I leased it and returned it to them whenever there was a problem. Expensive and a big hassle.

With a change of crank and rods from the 1600 to the 1400 and some new pistons you get 1600 or a little more with an overbore.

It's not too tricky but there are some bits which I ended up getting fabricated like the exhaust and inlet manifold. Apart from that it was off the shelf.

There is another member called "dogwood" who has even more power!!!

So a 1.6lt with only 125BHP can be pushed to 185bhp easy...then to 220bhp with problems and still be nat asp.......so getting 140bhp out of what is still basically (ok in a smaller capacity) the same engine should be easy!......so take the ABT kit then fit a proper CAI filter system and a free-er exhaust and the map re-done.......even more power then!!! :o

I don't think anyone intelligent would doubt that this engine could make that amount of power, I have personally seen 239BHP from a Peugeot TU5J4 engine in tarmac rally spec on an engine dyno.

Such an engine is categorically NOT 'streetable' and in fact the "hope" engine you mention above is in a race car and the "dogwood" guy is guessing.

Forget engine capacity, it's all about inlet valve area and head geometry. 100BHP per litre is a realistic 'streetable' target for a N/A four valve engine, anything significantly more will need wilder cams and will be a pain to drive with a high tickover and very stall prone.

• 4 years later...

Oi!!!

No need to be a d1ck, I use the Iridiums as well, have done in all my cars and motorcycles for years now.

They maintain peak performance for much longer and put the coils and leads under far less strain.

NGK BKUR6ET-10 standard plug £3.62 + VAT

NGK BKR6EIX-11 Iridium plug £5.90 + VAT

Go here: http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

£10 per plug indeed!

Pompous amateur.

Edited to show the mild insult.

Hello,

Your personal opinion needed...can a.m.iridium plugs handle Škoda's advised 60'000km?

Last years am driving on standard BKUR6ET-10 > seems, they can hold 60k km normally. Engine BBZ 1.4L 16V 74kW without any mods' :-)

BR,

Indars

Hello,

Your personal opinion needed...can a.m.iridium plugs handle Škoda's advised 60'000km?

Last years am driving on standard BKUR6ET-10 > seems, they can hold 60k km normally. Engine BBZ 1.4L 16V 74kW without any mods' :-)

BR,

Indars

Absolutely, they actually last longer than 60k.