Columbus with DAB

This is from another topic...

Later in the year Colombus will also come with DAB.

Hi takktakk,

What do you know about the Columbus coming with DAB later this year then? Do you know something or are you just speculating.

In April 2011 Skoda Auto announced that MY12 Superbs would be available with the Amundsen sat nav system which could optionally include a DAB receiver. See here. The Amundsen arrived in the SE Plus model but I'm not aware that a DAB version ever made it to the UK, even though VW offer it in their equivalent unit. Did any other country get an Amundsen unit including DAB? I was slightly bemused at the time thinking why would they fit DAB to the SE Plus without being able to offer it to customers of their flagship model, the Elegance?

I've had DAB for the last 5 years, and I don't want to be without it, but I have an Elegance estate on order and so no DAB. My build date has just gone back from week 5 to week 14 so I'd be very interested if anyone knows anything about this. It wasn't good news having to wait an extra 9 weeks but if I end up with DAB it'll be the best news this year so far. I think I'll drop an email to Skoda UK customer services. Anyone out there know anything concrete?

cheers Simon

• Like 1

This is from another topic...

Hi takktakk,

What do you know about the Columbus coming with DAB later this year then? Do you know something or are you just speculating.

In April 2011 Skoda Auto announced that MY12 Superbs would be available with the Amundsen sat nav system which could optionally include a DAB receiver. See here. The Amundsen arrived in the SE Plus model but I'm not aware that a DAB version ever made it to the UK, even though VW offer it in their equivalent unit. Did any other country get an Amundsen unit including DAB? I was slightly bemused at the time thinking why would they fit DAB to the SE Plus without being able to offer it to customers of their flagship model, the Elegance?

I've had DAB for the last 5 years, and I don't want to be without it, but I have an Elegance estate on order and so no DAB. My build date has just gone back from week 5 to week 14 so I'd be very interested if anyone knows anything about this. It wasn't good news having to wait an extra 9 weeks but if I end up with DAB it'll be the best news this year so far. I think I'll drop an email to Skoda UK customer services. Anyone out there know anything concrete?

cheers Simon

Hi Simon!

I have to emphasize tatt i live in Norway, and that what I say relates to Norwegian specifications. In Norway the Amundsen unit is out with DAB+, and later this year the Colombus will be as well. I know this from visiting my dealer on Monday, where I was told and showed in an emil from Skoda Norway, the launch week of Colombus with DAB (in Norway). Unfortunately I can not recall what week it was, but it was set or a not so distant future.

I hope it works out for you. I can state without hesitation that Skoda definitely does provide it, so if you do not have it it has to be on Skoda UK decisions. I also read somewhere that you do not have the option of the Skoda Sound System on all Octavias and Superbs like we do here. The only exempt is Greenline.

Good luck!

Edited by takktakk

My car, if all goes as planned, is beeing built next week. And that is ordered with Amundsen and DAB. :)

We are told in Norway that they shut down our regular radio "net" (FM) in 2017, (going over to dab network) so I would assume all new cars are being delivered with DAB these days...?

Anything else would be crazy imho.

Edited by Suvdal

I have just ordered my next Superb a couple of weeks ago with a projected build date between end May and early July!! I wonder if by that time the Columbus fitted will include DAB?

Does anyone in the trade using this forum have any information they could share??

Dont hold your breath for seeing DAB in a UK Columbus, its been available in the EU for sometime now (several years). The UK use a different incompatible system to the rest of the EU and it needs totally different hardware to decode our 23 year old outdated system. Analogue switchoff for radio has been delayed until at least 2019, as DAB radio sales are falling and Analogue rising, so the overall percentage of DAB radios in use in the UK is currently falling.

Luddites :) notwithstanding...I too have had DAB in my car for 6 years and mostly listen via that at home.

Nothing to do with the technology, it's the far greater choice of stations that is the attraction.

My son has just ordered a Seat Leon Copa SE...that comes with the Amundsen unit including DAB.

The fact is that maybe the European versions of the Columbus won't decode the UK signal but it would cost peanuts to make it do that.

In view of the widespread availability of units in VAG cars which can decode the UK (and European ones) signal I think Skoda UK are just taking the proverbial.

Personally I don't give a monkeys when the FM signal is turned off, or if it ever is for that matter, I think that is irrelevant and will continue to be so irrespective of how many times it gets trotted out.

Reading some of the other posts it seems also that in view of the fact it isn't a feature at all that if you want to take your (up to ) £30,000 worth of UK Columbus equipped car on a touring holiday of some european countries you won't be able to listen to any radio at all.

Jim

Edited by Claymore

as far as i am aware i have heard rumours of DAB being put into UK cars in 2013 but again i have only heard this from colleagues not Skoda UK themselves.

The government is committed "to work with car manufacturers so that vehicles sold with a radio are digitally enabled by the end of 2013" (source: Digital Britain report, June 2009). The SMMT is fully signed up to this despite the challenges. Ford are probably most advanced and announced in the mid-2011 that all their cars would have DAB as standard by the end of 2012. I reckon Ford could see a sales benefit from this pro-active approach.

Dont hold your breath for seeing DAB in a UK Columbus, its been available in the EU for sometime now (several years). The UK use a different incompatible system to the rest of the EU and it needs totally different hardware to decode our 23 year old outdated system. Analogue switchoff for radio has been delayed until at least 2019, as DAB radio sales are falling and Analogue rising, so the overall percentage of DAB radios in use in the UK is currently falling.

Mostly rubbish, Mannyo, and with an attitude like that there'd never be any progress. DAB still doesn't seem to have reached your part of Dorset yet but I'm sure it will. Digital radio listening is on the increase. Read the latest report from Rajar here, and another very useful article by James Cridland here. As he reports, the major problem is the car radio, as that's where 20% of radio listening happens. So if the manufacturers don't fit DAB radios how is the public uptake and listening figures supposed to increase. Classic chicken and egg and the car manufacturers are failing us.

The UK does not need different hardware either. The Digital Britain Report from 2009 specified that "all digital radio receivers sold in the UK are at least compliant with the WorldDMB receiver profile 1; which includes DAB+ and DMB-A." Therefore any DAB car radio sold in the UK will be able to receive DAB+ & DMB signals should the government and/or broadcasters choose either technology in the future.

Luddites :) notwithstanding...I too have had DAB in my car for 6 years and mostly listen via that at home.

Nothing to do with the technology, it's the far greater choice of stations that is the attraction.

I've just ordered a Seat Leon Copa SE for my son...that comes with the Amundsen unit including DAB.

The fact is that maybe the European versions of the Columbus won't decode the UK signal but it would cost peanuts to make it do that.

In view of the widespread availability of units in VAG cars which can decode the UK (and European ones) signal I think Skoda UK are just taking the proverbial.

Personally I don't give a monkeys when the FM signal is turned off, or if it ever is for that matter, I think that is irrelevant and will continue to be so irrespective of how many times it gets trotted out.

Reading some of the other posts it seems also that in view of the fact it isn't a feature at all that if you want to take your (up to ) £30,000 worth of UK Columbus equipped car on a touring holiday of some european countries you won't be able to listen to any radio at all.

Jim

Jim, agreed, except that our DAB radios should be able to decode a DAB+ signal in other countries - see above. I'm not aware that the govt. has said anything concrete about the date of the switchover. 2015 was never set in stone anyway. The date was subject to certain important conditions regarding geographical coverage and listener behaviour. The 2015 date was a target based upon the situation in 2009. I'd be surprised if the recession hadn't had some effect on digital listening figures. We all know what happened to new car sales figures in 2009 when the govt tried to prop up the industry with the scrappage scheme and that will have had an effect. In a recession many people will have stuch with the familiar FM radio rather than shell out extra for DAB which gives access to so many more stations.

For more info see my post from June 2011 here. The Digital Britain report is the place to start. It's a good research start point.

If there is still no DAB when my car is built then I have an internet solution via 3G with one of these (make sure you oder the MDI option).

Simon

The government is committed "to work with car manufacturers so that vehicles sold with a radio are digitally enabled by the end of 2013" (source: Digital Britain report, June 2009). The SMMT is fully signed up to this despite the challenges. Ford are probably most advanced and announced in the mid-2011 that all their cars would have DAB as standard by the end of 2012. I reckon Ford could see a sales benefit from this pro-active approach.

Mostly rubbish, Mannyo, and with an attitude like that there'd never be any progress. DAB still doesn't seem to have reached your part of Dorset yet but I'm sure it will. Digital radio listening is on the increase. Read the latest report from Rajar here, and another very useful article by James Cridland here. As he reports, the major problem is the car radio, as that's where 20% of radio listening happens. So if the manufacturers don't fit DAB radios how is the public uptake and listening figures supposed to increase. Classic chicken and egg and the car manufacturers are failing us.

The UK does not need different hardware either. The Digital Britain Report from 2009 specified that "all digital radio receivers sold in the UK are at least compliant with the WorldDMB receiver profile 1; which includes DAB+ and DMB-A." Therefore any DAB car radio sold in the UK will be able to receive DAB+ & DMB signals should the government and/or broadcasters choose either technology in the future.

Jim, agreed, except that our DAB radios should be able to decode a DAB+ signal in other countries - see above. I'm not aware that the govt. has said anything concrete about the date of the switchover. 2015 was never set in stone anyway. The date was subject to certain important conditions regarding geographical coverage and listener behaviour. The 2015 date was a target based upon the situation in 2009. I'd be surprised if the recession hadn't had some effect on digital listening figures. We all know what happened to new car sales figures in 2009 when the govt tried to prop up the industry with the scrappage scheme and that will have had an effect. In a recession many people will have stuch with the familiar FM radio rather than shell out extra for DAB which gives access to so many more stations.

For more info see my post from June 2011 here. The Digital Britain report is the place to start. It's a good research start point.

If there is still no DAB when my car is built then I have an internet solution via 3G with one of these (make sure you oder the MDI option).

Simon

Simon, whilst the best solution would be for Skoda to pull their heads out of whatever dark place they have them stuck in and just build the cars with DAB technology, here's a much cheaper option....just in case.

I remembered that my wife had a Pure Move 1500 and tried it placed down inside the door bin on my Sedona...and the reception was perfect although I had forgotten that it uses the headphone wires as an aerial. The idea is to just stick inside the armrest and plug it into the car radio via the aux input and out from the Pure's headphone socket. The battery in the 1500 is rechargeable but lasts for more than 21 hours continuous use.

There is now a better solution in the Pure Move 2500....slightly smaller rechargeable battery but comes with USB charge (and update) connection so could be plugged in in the car using a USB charge adapter. I was pleased to find this review on Amazon, written by someone using it for exactly this purpose...and finding that the 3.5 mm cord he's using to link to the radio works just as well as the headphone wires...look for review by 'MATT748;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Rechargeable-Personal-Digital-Radio/dp/B005J3PLXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329060566&sr=8-1

Hopefully however, Skoda will drag thenselves into the current century in the not too distant future.

Jim

Edited by Claymore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon, whilst the best solution would be for Skoda to pull their heads out of whatever dark place they have them stuck in and just build the cars with DAB technology, here's a much cheaper option....just in case.

I remembered that my wife had a Pure Move 1500 and tried it placed down inside the door bin on my Sedona...and the reception was perfect although I had forgotten that it uses the headphone wires as an aerial. The idea is to just stick inside the armrest and plug it into the car radio via the aux input and out from the Pure's headphone socket. The battery in the 1500 is rechargeable but lasts for more than 21 hours continuous use.

There is now a better solution in the Pure Move 2500....slightly smaller rechargeable battery but comes with USB charge (and update) connection so could be plugged in in the car using a USB charge adapter. I was pleased to find this review on Amazon, written by someone using it for exactly this purpose...and finding that the 3.5 mm cord he's using to link to the radio works just as well as the headphone wires...look for review by 'MATT748;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Rechargeable-Personal-Digital-Radio/dp/B005J3PLXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329060566&sr=8-1

Hopefully however, Skoda will drag thenselves into the current century in the not too distant future.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the idea. However the Dension Webradio has several advantages, so long as it works as described on their website. It should look and act like it's completely integrated with the Columbus unit. I should be able to just plug it into the MDI and forget about it...no charging necessary. I have a Nokia phone so plan to use RSAP and then have the Dension paired to the car phone kit so it uses the roof aerial for max signal strength.

However, the main advantage over everything else, and the reason why I've already bought one, is that it is controllable through the headunit and steering wheel controls and displays the stations available etc on the Columbus screen. It sees all the radio streams as mp3 files so plays them as if you had USB storage media attached. I've tested it on the bedroom TV and it works ok. Just hope it works as well in the car. Look at the photo on the Dension website here. It's a Columbus unit (well, the VW equivalent perhaps).

I did quite a bit of research before finding Dension and desperately didn't want wires trailing all over the dash from a Pure Highway or equivalent in a shiny new car. If anyone out there already uses the Webradio let us know how it works 'on the move', as it were.

I may have just to change my phone package when I know how much data I'm using...and I've found some great internet radio stations...there's thousands of them!!!!

cheers Simon

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the idea. However the Dension Webradio has several advantages, so long as it works as described on their website. It should look and act like it's completely integrated with the Columbus unit. I should be able to just plug it into the MDI and forget about it...no charging necessary. I have a Nokia phone so plan to use RSAP and then have the Dension paired to the car phone kit so it uses the roof aerial for max signal strength.

However, the main advantage over everything else, and the reason why I've already bought one, is that it is controllable through the headunit and steering wheel controls and displays the stations available etc on the Columbus screen. It sees all the radio streams as mp3 files so plays them as if you had USB storage media attached. I've tested it on the bedroom TV and it works ok. Just hope it works as well in the car. Look at the photo on the Dension website here. It's a Columbus unit (well, the VW equivalent perhaps).

I did quite a bit of research before finding Dension and desperately didn't want wires trailing all over the dash from a Pure Highway or equivalent in a shiny new car. If anyone out there already uses the Webradio let us know how it works 'on the move', as it were.

I may have just to change my phone package when I know how much data I'm using...and I've found some great internet radio stations...there's thousands of them!!!!

cheers Simon

I see your thinking but I do not think it will work.

While your phone is 'disabled' when it is connected to the car phone (GSMIII) via RSAP it can not receive/transmit data (on GPRS?)

The car kit also can not handle data

I presume the Denison Webradio needs internet access to pick up your selected radio stations.

I see your thinking but I do not think it will work.

While your phone is 'disabled' when it is connected to the car phone (GSMIII) via RSAP it can not receive/transmit data (on GPRS?)

The car kit also can not handle data

I presume the Denison Webradio needs internet access to pick up your selected radio stations.

Hi PowerMalc, I think (& hope) you are wrong.

I am aware that whilst in RSAP, my phone is effectively dead...that's why the Dension is paired to the car kit and not my phone. The phone just has to be in the car with bluetooth on, and RSAP selected. Also according to the owners manual (car, NOT Columbus) this should work. See page 147 of the latest Superb manual (Nov 2011), ref 'Internet Connection', where 4 lines down it states, 'An Internet is only possible via a telephone which is connected via the rSAP profile'. The network settings are preset in the Dension before installing in the car, by connecting to a PC and running their setup utility.

So, an internet connection is possible through the car kit, and I see no reason why the Dension should not work in this way. It also means that my back seat passengers can be surfing the web at the same time on a laptop. The only rule is, NO YOUTUBE, SON, as it eats my data allowance.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon!

I have to emphasize tatt i live in Norway, and that what I say relates to Norwegian specifications. In Norway the Amundsen unit is out with DAB+, and later this year the Colombus will be as well. I know this from visiting my dealer on Monday, where I was told and showed in an emil from Skoda Norway, the launch week of Colombus with DAB (in Norway). Unfortunately I can not recall what week it was, but it was set or a not so distant future.

I hope it works out for you. I can state without hesitation that Skoda definitely does provide it, so if you do not have it it has to be on Skoda UK decisions. I also read somewhere that you do not have the option of the Skoda Sound System on all Octavias and Superbs like we do here. The only exempt is Greenline.

Good luck!

I also got this confirmed by Skoda in Norway, the Colombus will be available with DAB on the 2013 model available from week 22 (i checked for Superb). Hopefulle there will be an easy fix to replace the old Columbus with the new one. I really want DAB in my car, mainly to get several other radio stations that on FM only is available in the big citys.

I also got this confirmed by Skoda in Norway, the Colombus will be available with DAB on the 2013 model available from week 22 (i checked for Superb). Hopefulle there will be an easy fix to replace the old Columbus with the new one. I really want DAB in my car, mainly to get several other radio stations that on FM only is available in the big citys.

Hi Ca-raae,

That's very interesting, thanks. I need to get this confirmed by Skoda UK and then see about maybe delaying my build. I've been waiting for so long it would be madness not to wait a further 8 weeks to get what I really really want, although I wonder what other changes they'll make for the new model year.

If anyone else has any news or proof of this then please post what you have or know.

cheers Simon

Hi Ca-raae,

That's very interesting, thanks. I need to get this confirmed by Skoda UK and then see about maybe delaying my build. I've been waiting for so long it would be madness not to wait a further 8 weeks to get what I really really want, although I wonder what other changes they'll make for the new model year.

If anyone else has any news or proof of this then please post what you have or know.

cheers Simon

Hi simon,

Attach the emails with the Norwegian importer of Skoda, Harald A Møller, translated to english with google translate so may not be 100% but i guess you get the essence.

I was also told by the local Skoda dealer that the Superb wouldn't get any big upgrades of model replacement before 2015, the Octavia a year or two sooner i believe.

Hello, What is Skoda's plans regarding DAB radio? Considering purchasing Superb but see it as of today only Amundsen who have DAB, this is to small screen for my taste. What about Columbus? Will this be upgraded to DAB later? Feels silly to buy a top model today in 5 years do not have the radio. Is it perhaps new systems in the works that combine large screen, navi and DAB?

Hey Cato! Regarding your Internet Inquiry. From our Marketing department, we get feedback that it will surely adapters for retrofitting. Update of Columbus is probably not likely. We believe that it lacks both software and hardware (including DAB antenna). Columbus comes with DAB in the 2013 model from week 22 We thank you for your inquiry and welcome you back on our website.

Hi simon,

Attach the emails with the Norwegian importer of Skoda, Harald A Møller, translated to english with google translate so may not be 100% but i guess you get the essence.

I was also told by the local Skoda dealer that the Superb wouldn't get any big upgrades of model replacement before 2015, the Octavia a year or two sooner i believe.

Hello, What is Skoda's plans regarding DAB radio? Considering purchasing Superb but see it as of today only Amundsen who have DAB, this is to small screen for my taste. What about Columbus? Will this be upgraded to DAB later? Feels silly to buy a top model today in 5 years do not have the radio. Is it perhaps new systems in the works that combine large screen, navi and DAB?

Hey Cato! Regarding your Internet Inquiry. From our Marketing department, we get feedback that it will surely adapters for retrofitting. Update of Columbus is probably not likely. We believe that it lacks both software and hardware (including DAB antenna). Columbus comes with DAB in the 2013 model from week 22 We thank you for your inquiry and welcome you back on our website.

Hi Ca-raae,

I guess they mean you couldn't update a current Columbus unit, although I don't think the antenna would be much of an issue...I have a DAB radio running at home with a simple wire hanging out the back for an aerial, and I believe the Superb has quite a sophisticated antenna arrangement. Either I need to delay my build or arrange for Skoda to promise a head unit swap if that's possible. I'll post more if I get a reply from Skloda UK.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update the topic...a response from Skoda UK...

"ŠKODA UK aims to make DAB radios available to customers by the end of 2012. There is no final arrival date for these radios, and the end-of-year aim is very much subject to change. I can, however confirm that the radios will be available in advance of the 2013 deadline set by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

In terms of the information you mentioned concerning Norwegian imports, I cannot offer any insight as to why they are available

in this country. I also feel it is worth mentioning that based on current information the radios cannot be retrofitted, which

means of course that if your Superb confirms into production before DAB is introduced, you will not be able to fit such a radio

through official parts channels."

I'll be staying with my planned internet radio over 3G option then!

Interesting that Skoda UK say they cannot be retrofitted, in a recent article in Auto Express I am sure they said there would be options availablem. Unfortunately I cannot recall the exact phrase.

David

Interesting that Skoda UK say they cannot be retrofitted, in a recent article in Auto Express I am sure they said there would be options availablem. Unfortunately I cannot recall the exact phrase.

David

Hi David,

I think it's a question of will and not necessarily technical know-how. What they mean is that 'officially' Skoda UK couldn't [wouldn't want to] do it because they would not be replacing like with like...ie. if it was a part that was not in the original build of your car then it may not be covered by the warranty blah, blah, blah.

I don't think it's a definite impossibility but at the moment they wouldn't even have a procedure for such an upgrade. What about coding? Will the same antennae work? Probably a few other question to answer as well.

As for Auto Express and available options...they are available now in the form of plug-in DAB FM re-transmitters such as the Pure Highway. From the 2009 Digital Britain report, and one part of a five part plan for cars, I quote...

'Encourage the development of portable digital converters, such as the Pure Highway, and the integration of DAB into other vehicle devices such as Sat-Navs.'

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny,

I'd seen your other post already...

I sent them an email today to ask about AutoDAB units for Skoda/VW navigation systems and got the following reply...

"It is something that we are working on at the moment. We don’t have a product yet, but it is in development."

Sounds interesting, so will keep a eye on their website.