Advice needed - am I being ungrateful?

Zmithy

Sorry for the essay, thankyou to those who read and help!

Ill do a quick rundown.

Friday 3rd

Pickup my new to me vRS from Rainworth Skoda in Mansfield, (25 miles away) lowered on eibach pro springs with anthracite 16" spiders.

On driving home it felt like it had something extra to it, alot more power than I thought its have.

As soon as I pulled into my driveway the exhaust control system light came on my dash, so I popped into work plugged it into VAGcom and had a read of the fault code, came up with EGR exceeded mileage limit, so I popped it back to Rainworth skoda and they agreed to order and fit a new EGR for me under warranty. Thumbs up.

Took it to birmingham that weekend with the warning light on and had no problems, don't want a dash light so want to get it sorted.

Wed 8th

Pop up to Rainworth to get part fitted, an hour later and EGR is fitted and car washed for me.

Get home onto the driveway and the EGR lights back on, take it to work to VAGcom it and same error.

Called rainworth again and told to bring it back.

Thurs 9th

Take it back, get their chief mechanic on it who does the mapping and so n so, took it out for a drive and called it a 'beast' and said it had deffo been mapped. Wasn't aware of what map it was and wether it was a good or bad map.

They told me that in order to get rid of the fault the had to convert the map back to standard, I had no choice as they were going to go ahead anyways. Thought it would be a good idea myself as I was aware of what map it was and was aware they did Revo mapping here.

Tried to haggle a Revo map, didn't want to sound ungrateful but i'd bought it with a map and had it taken away. Got told I could have one down from £350 to £250.

Got told to see how it goes for a few days and then get back to them.

Took it away with the fuel light now on. It didnt feel powerless, but it lacked what it had before. Still was goood but just didn't feel the same.

As soon as I got it on the driveway, you'll never guess what popped up on the dash! The EGR fault yet again.

Been dealing with a chap called Dave who is being very helpful and squeezing me In at very short notice and keeping me informed.

I just feel a bit hard done by. Losing the map and still having the fault and possibly having to pay for another map.

I don't mind popping up all the time, but Ive use a fair bit of fuel and stuff

What's everyone's opinion on this? Am I being ungrateful and or something?

Alex

I'd probably feel a little hard done by that they'd removed a map and it didn't fix the problem; however would you feel aggreived if the problem had been fixed by removing the map?

At least they now have a stadnard slate to persevere and to fix the EGR issue

Really you've only lost somehting you didn't pay for an didn't know you had.

ok your car may now be a few horses shy but did you really buy the car simply because of the way it performed on it's test drive?

Well, they're being accomodating but as it stands you have a car that they still need to fix in order for it to pass an MOT.

I'd argue that as removing the map hasn't fixed the problem, they should restore the map to the best of their abilities (as REVO dealers etc)...

As for the EGR, knackered vacuum unit or a holey hose (or loose or not holding pressure). Unless the new EGR unit they fitted has a problem (unlikely but possible).

J.

I'd say that if they can fix the EGR fault then I'd be happy even if it means that you will have lost the remap in the process.

I would definitely ask if they could pop a little bit of fuel in though with the ammount of times you're having to go back and possibly at least one more time now the light it back.

These engine have plenty of 'go' as standard so once it's fixed you still won't be disappointed.

Phil

Was the car sold by them as re-mapped? if not then there is not a lot you can do, you still have what they sold you ... a std vRS.

You are lucky they didn't say, oh it's been re-mapped....sorry your warranty does not cover remaps.

Was the car sold by them as re-mapped? if not then there is not a lot you can do, you still have what they sold you ... a std vRS.

You are lucky they didn't say, oh it's been re-mapped....sorry your warranty does not cover remaps.

A can of worms that. From the description so far, I'd say it was sold as a standard car by the main dealer. Could have all sorts of implications if they start getting arsey. Like - Vehicle not as described, no skoda warranty on the powertrain. Give me my money back!

I'd hope it should be possible to lift data from the ECU to prove number of times mapped and intervals between flashes?

J.

I think am the only one that thinks this sounds a little dodgy and sounds like they have done it to try and get a few quid out of ya!

If we take the fault itself, the simple fact is they have not fixed it. If the egr isnt working correctly its likely you will fail on emissions which means you have a car currently that wont pass an mot! Pretty much useless.

It also seems intresting that the chief mechanic basically takes it out and gives it a thrashing for what would serve no bennifit what so ever to the cars actual fault. Surely he would take the car for a drive if he could find the fault and wanted to experince first hand the cars symptoms? But the fault was already confirmed.

How removing a remap will help "fix" the problem is beyond me?? (not that am that intelligent with these things)

And so they remove the remap, try and get you to buy one of there own so you have the power back. But was advised to remove it to fix the fault??? and its still BROKEN??? :|

And even if you would challenge it, they know they can say well it wasnt advertised as having a remap so techically youve not lost anything!?

Am sorry mate but they sound like a bunch of money grabbing twonks!! I reckon you should rinse them for every warranted repair bill going. And if you want some more power take it to a reputable remapper.

I know people may think am missing something here but I just think its all abit suspect! Your not ungrateful mate, there just trying to rinse some cash off ya form the sound of things!!!

Edited by TorqueXIsXCheap

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Bit mixed but all food for thought.

Wouldn't of minded as much if they had actually fixed the EGR problem, but the drop of power is significant.

Don't think they're tryin to fleece me out of money, but it's not exactly hard for them to map it back for free is it? Or am I wrongly mislead in thinking that?

In regards to the fault, I can't remembe the exact thing it said, it was along the lines of exceeded limit. I'll try and find the exact phrase

They've sent some fax's to Czech and Germany to see if anything can be sorted. Been driving all evening, definitely missing the extra oomph :(

Edit!

Code read 'EGR System: Regulation Range Exceeded' not sure what number it read!

Edit!

Code read 'EGR System: Regulation Range Exceeded' not sure what number it read!

That makes more sense. I couldn't see how "mileage" was involved.

If you Google this you can read up other similar reports:

< 'EGR System: Regulation Range Exceeded' site:briskoda.net >

For example:

The problems with this car never end :mad:

2 Faults Found:

19586 - EGR System Regulation Range Exceeded

P3130 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16955 - Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal

P0571 - 35-00 - -

I fixed the first one, the vac pipe which connects to the egr had warn through on the engine cover. But cant quite work out what the second one means. :confused:

Here's an alternative issue:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/170371-vcds-scan-egr-fault/

Something wrong somewhere in that area - but you'd have thought the Skoda garage would know what to look for. However one I used to repair intermittent window operation didn't so maybe not...

Had a phone call, been told to give it a week and see if the light goes off.

Nothing about the remap or anything mentioned, although I now have the name or the after sales manager incase I fancy a chat with him about it all.

When i bought the PD130 Ibiza i had before my Fabia it had immobilser/ignition problems within the first 2 weeks.

Admittedly not being able to start the car is a slightly harsher problem than yours but i simply rang the (Mazda) dealer i bought it from, who was 100 miles away, and told them that i'd dropped it off at my local dealer and that they'd be footing the bill.

They countered with fixing the car themselves if i got it back to them.

I told them i was 100 miles away with a car that would only occasionally start so how did they propose i got it back to them?

Eventually after a dozen phone calls, escalating to the sales director, and threatening to solve the situation by dropping the car off on a low loader and siting in the showroom until i was refunded in full and reimbursed for all expenditure they backed down footed the entire bill and even hired me a car while the problem was fixed.

Stick to your guns ;)

Also while the leave it for a week advice sounds crap i had my light come on for a few days after losing 1 of the airbox screws when changing the air filter; only for it to go out and never reappear.

If they are a Revo dealer yes its not a massive amount of work for them to stick one of the standard maps back on.

Althoguh the only proof you have that it was mapped before is the bum dyno of you and th e mechanic who took it out.

Might make it a difficult one to argue.

I've dealt with them over a fault within 24 hours of buying an approved used car and in fairness they weren't great BUT they did sort it. As to them ripping you off would you really want an unknown quality map on your car? Get them to fix the EGR issue and then if you want a cheap REVO then the discount offered may make it a good option but remember to tell your insurance company. Personally i'd take it to Ben @ Shark Performance as he's local to you, may even be worth a call to ask if they mapped it as they're quite close to Rainworth's site so the previous owner may have taken it to them anyway.

I'll see how the fault goes with the vehicle.

I do agree that it was an unknown map so i'd be unsure wether it's good or bad. I've noticed Shark are close, I'll give them a call to enquire and if it is them i'll deffo book it there in the future.

I'll see how much RAinworth can offer off of a Revo, if it's substantial I'll go with it, if not Shark's probably the way to go.

Shark don't have it on their records. But that's upto feb last year, they havnt merged the records from before that.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Lights still on, called and got told that I'll need to book it in for them to get to the bottom of it and fix it, they have no clue what it'd be, beginning to get annoyed.

Had a friend look at the EGR today (just a look no touching, he's very knowledgable) and in his opinion he doesn't believe it's been changed..

Tempted to pop it into another skoda garage and see if they can tell if it's been changed.

Going to have to get the bus to work when I Leave it with them. Rather annoyed, and still missing the map ;(

Anyone got an idea of how to check If the EGR's actually been changed? Would make sense to me if it hadn't as the error code was the same and to do with exceeded range both times before and after the 'change'

Zmithy