Gear Change 1st to 2nd

Hi Guys,

Picked up my Fabia Estate today. On driving it home I noticed a quite audible crunch and snag on the gearstick when changing up from 1st to 2nd. This didn't happen on the test drive and it didn't happen on the drive to the motorway today. It only occurred after getting off the motorway, so must be heat related?

If I change slowly and let some revs bleed off before I change in to 2nd it doesn't make as much noise, but I can still feel something pull on the gear stick.

I do have a 3 month warranty so not massively worried, just annoyed.

From my sysmptoms what would you say it was? Synchro or clutch?

For the VRS, a crunch between 1st and 2nd when cold is well documented, and something that a lot of us just live with and gets better in a few minutes.

Possibly not relevant to you as you don't have a VRS and your engine is warm, but the recommendations to the above "characteristic" is to change the gearbox oil and re-adjust the gear linkage.

The general procedure for adjusting the gear shift linkage can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE

Thanks guys.

I took the car out for a 2 hour drive last night and couldn't replicate the problem. We didn't go on the motorway though, but still, after 2 hours I'm sure the transmission would be hot enough? I'm starting to doubt myself now and wondering if it was something that I was doing wrong and was just over thinking, but I'm not sure. I'll have to take it for a long motorway drive at some point.

Hi, i also have the 1st to 2nd gear change problem when cold on my 07 VRS.

Still under skoda used car warranty.

Might try them with it?

Cheers for the vid if i do it myself.

Also If i do myself whats best gearbox oil to use oin them?

• 4 weeks later...

Well this issue has reared it's ugly head again now the weathers warmer (tropical for England). All gear changes are smooth as a babys bum when the engine is cold, but when it gets hot, 1st to 2nd sounds like I have a little dump valve with the chirp it gives. The only way I can get it to stop is to double de-clutch and then it's fine. I'll have to get on to the garage that I bought it off to have a look under warranty I think.

Any other ideas/theorys of what it could be?

• 2 years later...