The definitive Yeti roof bar poll!

angrybeard

The Yeti roof bar question  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What Yeti roof bar would you recommend from experience?

• Skoda original Bars (LAS630001)
    • Thule pro rack (775 footpack and bars)
    • Other

Ok, Skoda France do the bars for 130.50€ equiv to about £110 - anyone interested, contact me, I casn get 'em to Cleobury Mortimer area(Sth Shrops) then you are on your own or can post at cost!

Also, I can lay my hands on a pair of Thule bars and mounts, the bars are aero style bars, the seller is open to offers over£120 or I will haggle on his behalf

Graham you have a pm!

• Like 1

Apologies, I swear I am starting to lose my mind on the subject (and everything else...), Now I look again I do see the mention!

Ok, so I think I'll go for the ones with the wrong coloured screws at £125 if they still do them, mainly because the Thule aero bars best price brings that option up to £140

Does anyone know if it is possible to get replacement screws to have black ones?

Last question on the subject I promise!!!

Mine arrived today with stainless steel screws--these are special with a flange and a slot in them which is required to secure the bars safely--so Halfords is out. I would imagine they would be difficult to source anywhere.

I have black bars and am happy to fit them as is. If I think they should be black at a later stage I'll simply paint them with a bit of smooth black hammerite

Mine arrived today with stainless steel screws--these are special with a flange and a slot in them which is required to secure the bars safely--so Halfords is out. I would imagine they would be difficult to source anywhere.

I have black bars and am happy to fit them as is. If I think they should be black at a later stage I'll simply paint them with a bit of smooth black hammerite

I would very much like to see a close up photo of these. I would always choose a stainless fixing for such a job-but am unsure from your description of their exact form.

I would very much like to see a close up photo of these. I would always choose a stainless fixing for such a job-but am unsure from your description of their exact form.

See my post #42 above and click on the picture. That should be close enough to see the bolts?

Thanks for the reminder johann, I have done so and am still not quite there. The bolts as fitted appear to have a very complex head, a stepped round shoulder against the roof bar and a deep inset then a conical head.

Having been a hands on amateur mechanic all my life brought up by an engineer father and having played with bikes and cars ancient(ish) and modern I have never seen one looking like these and am wondering why people have suggested that they may be sourced anywhere but through Skoda.

Are they really such a complex shape? Or does your picture show a combination of the bolt and it's mounting point?

I keep quite a selection of stainless fixings (allen heads in various lengths diameters and so on as part of my biking spares and replacements kit) and would usually expect to have something "in stock".

Edited by JCP

Thanks for the reminder johann, I have done so and am still not quite there. The bolts as fitted appear to have a very complex head, a stepped round shoulder against the roof bar and a deep inset then a conical head.

Having been a hands on amateur mechanic all my life brought up by an engineer father and having played with bikes and cars ancient(ish) and modern I have never seen one looking like these and am wondering why people have suggested that they may be sourced anywhere but through Skoda.

Are they really such a complex shape? Or does your picture show a combination of the bolt and it's mounting point?

I keep quite a selection of stainless fixings (allen heads in various lengths diameters and so on as part of my biking spares and replacements kit) and would usually expect to have something "in stock".

I think the head might look complex - I needed a Torx screwdriver of some description to fix them to my roof rails - but the roof bars sit on the threaded part of these bolts behind the heads. Thus the head can be any shape as they just keep the roof bar's feet in place before you secure them. Once seated on these you lower the lever (the red plastic thing on the photo in post #42) on the outside of the roof bars themselves, which make the bar's mechanism clasp around the bolts for a secure connection. That is why I stated that the bolts could (in theory) be sourced from anywhere. The photo in post #42 show the bars in the clasped state.

Thanks, I have an intense dislike(albeit wholly irrational)of torx fittings. It does not look like a plain shouldered bolt to me -the drive method isn't reaally what I dont get. I don't get how without a special fixing the bar fits or locks on. That's why I was hoping yetiscot might do a picture of one of the ones he has received before fitting it.

Thanks, I have an intense dislike(albeit wholly irrational)of torx fittings. It does not look like a plain shouldered bolt to me -the drive method isn't reaally what I dont get. I don't get how without a special fixing the bar fits or locks on. That's why I was hoping yetiscot might do a picture of one of the ones he has received before fitting it.

As I said the drive method has nothing to do with it. All it is is a "peg". From memory it had some plastic around it? Or was that on the car's rail? Can't remember now but that is why you are only allowed to take them off and on a maximum of three times. So yes I can see why you want a photo of the before state of one of these bolts.

The roof bar has a clasp mechanism that clips around these "pegs". That is really all there is to it! I was surprised by its simplicity and that all the weight is carried by the pegs and NOTHING rests on the top of the car's roof rail.

Even better save this picture to email to them showing clearly BLACK bolts (on a silver rail). But you want black so here is the proof:

roofrails4.jpg

Photo appears to show a pressed steel bracket with a plastic part on the outside to make it look prettier. Doesn't look that good to me.

Thule bars come in various lengths, plus could presumably cut them down a bit in length if one wanted a "custom" look fit similar to the Skoda bars. Thule's recommended Yeti footpack (RT775) while it looks like a rubber strap is described by Thule as a rubber coated steel strap.

It does seem extraordinary that it has taken so long for Thule to get around to making a proper aero profile. I suppose it was the market competition from Whispbar.... Anyone care to comment on WhisBars vs Thule Wingbars and Thule Aero bars.

As I said the drive method has nothing to do with it. All it is is a "peg". From memory it had some plastic around it? Or was that on the car's rail? Can't remember now but that is why you are only allowed to take them off and on a maximum of three times. So yes I can see why you want a photo of the before state of one of these bolts.

The roof bar has a clasp mechanism that clips around these "pegs". That is really all there is to it! I was surprised by its simplicity and that all the weight is carried by the pegs and NOTHING rests on the top of the car's roof rail.

Sorry to disagree, but the bolts should be screwed right in, so there is no thread showing.

The holes in the bracket locate inside the grooves in the fitting bolt. That's why I said the bolts will be difficult to source--they are a one-off special for the purpose.

They are stainless steel --they have that dull stainless finish- not shiny as if chrome plated

Photo appears to show a pressed steel bracket with a plastic part on the outside to make it look prettier. Doesn't look that good to me.

Well, as they have passed the German TUV test I'm sure we have little to worry about, plastic pretties or not.

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree, but the bolts should be screwed right in, so there is no thread showing.

The holes in the bracket locate inside the grooves in the fitting bolt. That's why I said the bolts will be difficult to source--they are a one-off special for the purpose.

They are stainless steel --they have that dull stainless finish- not shiny as if chrome plated

Ah yes... you are right. There is a groove in the bolt to which the bars fit. But in saying that surely it will still work in the same way around another bolt as long as the head is big enough?

But then again I'm sure these can be sourced from any Škoda dealer in either black or silver for not much dough!

Ah yes... you are right. There is a groove in the bolt to which the bars fit. But in saying that surely it will still work in the same way around another bolt as long as the head is big enough?

But then again I'm sure these can be sourced from any Škoda dealer in either black or silver for not much dough!

But then if you use a non standard bolt, and your bike rack falls off the roof of your car on the motorway?--not worth the risk for me

Are they available as a separate spare without the bars?--maybe the plumber can help with his access to the parts system

ONLY if you have old fashioned U-clamp fittings!!!!!!!!!!!! See my post #12 above and the image showing how modern quality roof bar systems attach. NOTHING will hang below the bar thus Whispbars can safely be fitted with a sunroof AND you can open the sunroof.

I have now fitted the whispbars. And no... I can not open the sun roof. The sunroof will hit the whispbar and stop. If I install it as shown in the following link the sun roof will open but still hit/touch the whispbar: Thule ranger 90 (front bar)

The yeti with whispbars: Yeti with Whispbars

I have now fitted the whispbars. And no... I can not open the sun roof. The sunroof will hit the whispbar and stop. If I install it as shown in the following link the sun roof will open but still hit/touch the whispbar: Thule ranger 90 (front bar)

The yeti with whispbars: Yeti with Whispbars

I'm flabbergasted I have to say.

I was a bit worried when the sun roof hit the bar and stopped - or rather jammed. It wouldn't close. I had to remove the bar and stop and start the yeti. Then it would close, but not completly. Had to open it fully then close it. Then it closed properly. Phew :)

Nevertheless. Happy with the whispbars. Just need to remembr not to open the roof when they are attached.

Edited by Sibre

<sunroof offtopic>

If anyone of you is interested in taking the comfortable in-Yeti sunbathing a step further and opening the sunroof a tad more - see australian howto :giggle:

</sunroof offtopic>

<sunroof offtopic>

If anyone of you is interested in taking the comfortable in-Yeti sunbathing a step further and opening the sunroof a tad more - see australian howto :giggle:

</sunroof offtopic>

Bless. That is MY car and I wrote that on the OZ forum. Hehehe. You'll notice from my signature there it is autumn there and spring here.

Original post here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/196435-the-sunroof-trick/

Silly me :giggle: Should've noticed "UK Yeti" along with "Johann" ...

And no chances of noticing your thread here as since my monster has no sunroof I was not interested in this matter. Got there by accident only :rofl:

This is really a global village ain't it?

(edit: btw - the spring/autumn signature rules)

Edited by EZ_lo

<sunroof offtopic>

</sunroof offtopic>

That "trick" is what I had to do to get my sun roof to close properly after it got jammed. I had to open it fully - as described in Johanns post. Then close it again.

Well, as they have passed the German TUV test I'm sure we have little to worry about, plastic pretties or not.

And mine did a 1900 mile round trip to the Alps with a roofbox (skibox) fitted, 80mph most of the way, with no worries (and a lot of last summer with a couple of bikes up there). The fitting is secure and a sight better than many I've seen on roofbars for other cars I've owned.

• 4 weeks later...

Fitted a pair of Whispbar roofbars that came (relatively) cheaply from ebay and like the low flush fitting. The silver colour blends in well with the steel grey body colour.

They do look really good. Do they do them in black? With your black rails that would have looked even better. But in saying that my Škoda bars are also silver on black.