Air con troubles

Hi guys,

Having air con woes at the minute.

Vagcom has brought a fault code that is 00898 and it won't clear, It has been regassed by a local garage before being ran on diagnostics straight after the regas.

The fans on the radiator aren't kicking in when the a/c button is switched on but the light stays on until i switch it off.

I have a fan relay module to change over but when i plugged it in the other day to test it nothing improved.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Daz

Do you have power to the fan controller?

Lost me lol.

Do you mean the relay module that hangs off a bracket in front of the n/s front wheel or do you mean something else?

• Like 1

Yes, that's the fan controller.

Ahhh with you now, How would i test if there is power going to it? unplug the connectors and measure the voltage with a multimeter when switching something on and off like the a/c?

I had this exact problem. There is a connector right where the alternator sense wire is. It breaks the the same as the sense wire. I cut the connector out and reconnected it and it worked.

Hmmm really, could this have been broke if the alternator had been removed for instance? because it has....could you explain more in detail the position of this wire? Does that run in the sheath for the main alternator cable/plug?

Cheers for help guys, its much appreciated :)

It's quite hard to explain where it is but if you search on here there is a guide about fixing the alternator sense wire it has photos. Basically the sense wire has a black connector and usually a wire breaks off of this connector. Now this connector is clipped onto a metal bracket to hold it in place. On this metal bracket is also attached a brown connector, this brown connector had a wire broken on mine (same issue as the common alternator sense wire) and it feeds the aircon, I was actually checking my alternator sense wire and found the problem, fixed it and aircon started working. I had given up hope and it was just a stroke of luck as I had also had aircon re-gassed etc

Spot on mate, i will give that a look at but the garage had actually fixed the load sense wire as it was broke but you never know they may have missed it :).

Pm'd you with the pics of the said guide so just ignore that lol.

Cheers

Daz

• 1 month later...

I love this Forum!! I've got exactly the same problem with my VRS which started this weekend...while in the middle of a heat wave! (Bl**dy typical)

Fingers crossed it'll fix my car too. Thanks for your posts guys... :thumbup:

Hehe no problem :) i was in the same boat for weeks......was really glad to get help from all the people on here :).

Oh and good luck with the problem too

I've been having air con problems recently (as can be seen from my other posts in the 'Air Conditioning not working' thread).

At present my air con is working and cooling the air before it enters the cabin. However, my radiator fan (I think) keeps kicking in for about 5 seconds or so then switching off again. It is really loud and vibrates through the whole car.

Could this be related to the fan controller?

Cheers

Del

I've been having air con problems recently (as can be seen from my other posts in the 'Air Conditioning not working' thread).

At present my air con is working and cooling the air before it enters the cabin. However, my radiator fan (I think) keeps kicking in for about 5 seconds or so then switching off again. It is really loud and vibrates through the whole car.

Could this be related to the fan controller?

Cheers

Del

It sounds like the fan is only kicking on at 2nd stage (fast). The 1st stage (slow) has its own fuse, so check the fuse links on the battery.

Cheers for that, will do.

I checked a few fuses relating to the air con at the weekend but that was before this problem surfaced. Will check in the morning.

Thanks again

Del

• 2 years later...

Bringing back the dead.. I've got this problem, one wire snapped off right at the connector. I cut the other wire and pulled the connector out to make it easier to rewire, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to the get dead wires out of the connector.

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

Thanks.