DSG7 judder in second gear

Hi

Has anyone else out there with a DSG box noticed a judder in 2nd gear? It's not noticeable from standstill going up through the gears. However, I do feel it most when the car is crawling, still (just) in D2 and then with a need to accelarate (e.g. pulling out from a junction). It's like the feeling you get in a manual if you move off in 2nd rather than 1st - bit like clutch slippage.

I've looked at some of the VW forums and have found a few references to this being a 'known problem' with the DSG7 box - these mainly relate to their 1.4 TSI and indicate it might be a clutch issue. Nothing comes up on google for Skoda with the 1.2 TSI so far though.

So - just wondered whether those of you with the 1.2 TSI and DSG have experienced anything similar?

Mine is a Sept 2010 with around 22K miles on clock.

Cheers

Yes it does, it D it will shift to 2nd almost immediately the car starts moving and let it slip. With the newest gearbox software it also seems to keep the engine RPM up a little bit (1,200 or so) creeping up to junctions (i.e. decelerating) and do the same. I would suggest getting your gearbox software updating and doing the recalibrate procedure (hold the throttle on kick-down for 10 seconds with ignition off but key in IIRC).

• 4 weeks later...

No consolation, but my Scirocco (1.4/160 and DSG7) does exactly the same; only when warm and the dealer couldn't get it to do it when it was still under warranty, so i've had to live with it. I just lob the lever into S if I think it's likely to do it (so it ends up in 1st gear when it should!). Don't have paddles on the 'roc, but might find them useful on the vRS when it arrives.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I think I was probably worrying about nothing. Having looked at these comments and considered when it happens - it's normally when the car is warm, there's been a fair bit of stop/start in traffic and also when the car is carrying more than just me. I certainly haven't noticed it recently.

Incidentally irfant, I think I've had the gearbox update - the same time I had my turbo shim fixed - as this cured the previous hesitation many of us experienced.

Cheers

That dealer was and is an ar5e, tell the lying, stupid barsteward to try the car,

and get it running smooth before the warranty is out.

Was that a Salesperson saying that or the Workshop Manager?

Is the car run in & are you running it on Super Unleaded?

george

it is a feature of the DSG gearbox
Your reply to this is can I quote you on this when I write a letter to the head of the VAG group letting him know the millions of pounds they spent on developing DSG was a waste of time as they have invented a flawed product which they continue to fit to almost every vehicle they make under every brand they own.

• 3 weeks later...

Had exactly the same issue develop around 20k (only happening when car warm) took it to Skoda, they had my clutches replaced with "new improved" version that shouldn't be doing this. According to my experience and mine only, this isn't normal, it's a problem and Skoda are replacing clutches to people who experience this issue. 20k later, all is fine.

krko

Edited by krko

• 3 weeks later...

Adlav,

thanks for that, might be helpful for comparison purposes!

The easiest way for me to describe the problems I have is 'hesitation' as if when pulling away from stationary, the gear is not engaged. I push the accelerator down, and the car suddenly jump forward and into action. Also, at low speeds (as well as reversing and parking), the car is juddery at best.

The problems are intermittent and seem to occur more when I have less than half a tank of fuel left. I currently use BP ultimate (changed recently from shell power-same issues present)

suffice to say, I doubt I will take the car back to that dealer, as I have lost faith in their fault finding abilities. At the end of the day, I drive the car all the time, I KNOW something is wrong, they make me feel like I'm just moaning.

When the car is right, it drives like a dream. Just want it fixed!

THanks guys,

Mat

vulgatrendkill,

What age of car have you, and what mileage?

Is it a standard car,

what servicing has it had done so far?

You say it has had an DSG upgrade, did it require new plugs or anything done to the engine?

Fresh plugs and clean air filter etc on it now, has the filter been looked at recently.

It is a great shame that your car behaves like that, because it really is not necessary or acceptable

Before getting in touch with any Skoda Dealer again to get the problem fixed properly under warranty, (possilby best to get in touch with Skoda UK before the dealer,)

i would try changing the fuel you are using and see if the engine is running off.

**Simply try a couple of tanks of 'Tesco Momentum, 99 octane'

and see if the car behave any better than it is on the BP or Shell

The garage is going to have to be sure the engine is running smoothly and correctly before seeing if the gearbox is misbehaving.

I would get another vRS driver to try your car and see how it drives in their opinion,

or you go and get a road test of another vRS at a dealers i see what you think.

(i know you know how your car behaves when it is behaving, well that should be the same all the time.)

The vRS does go off with a different amount of go than other autos, and if it is going off with more urge on a lower tank,

does it matter if is started from cold, or after it is up to full temp and then just pottering along.

Do you try going to S and see if it is behaving the same as when it is doing it in D ?

I have found after someone else has driven my car for a day, (SWMBO)

that it misbehaves like it did when i first bought it,

untill it has done a few miles with more gentle starts and throttle use, then it settles back to how i drive it..

It being a Box with a brain/memory possibly!!

good luck with it.

george

Edited by sk4gw

As I use the same dealer as vulgatrendkill and have no issues with them, always top notch, I can't comment on how you get on with the fault finding abilites of said mechanics.

Perhaps a drive out in eachothers car to see the fault would be interesting.

They know of oil useage problems and the DSG box can play up, regardless of which type (6 or 7 speed, wet or dry clutch) and not having had a DSG car before I can't really comment on what is does right/wrong :D

Drop me a PM if you want to meet up :)

Had exactly the same issue develop around 20k (only happening when car warm) took it to Skoda, they had my clutches replaced with "new improved" version that shouldn't be doing this. According to my experience and mine only, this isn't normal, it's a problem and Skoda are replacing clutches to people who experience this issue. 20k later, all is fine.

krko

I know at least two persons that had their clutches or multidisc or what ever the name is, replaced and now running fine. One is Polo 1.2Tsi and the other is Yeti 1.2Tsi. Problem occured after ~20.000Km.

Hi again folks,

So I thought about these issues quite a lot, and decided to call Skoda UK to intervene. They are contacting my dealer to ask them to re look at the problem.

Adlav, This is now the 2nd fabia I've had, both from new from the same dealer, and one, very simple fault (back wiper wash hose disconnected) took them three goes to fix properly. I'm not saying they aren't good dealers, as I've been loyal to them for nigh on 10 years, its just, at the moment I feel I'm being treated as if they don't believe me.

You are certainly welcome to come try out my car to see what I mean, but as I need adaptations to drive I wouldn't be able to reciprocate....

Hopefully, I will get a call from Skoda soon, and this can be resolved amicably once and for all.

Thanks

Mat

I had this problem with my Octavia 1.8 tsi dsg with the 7 speed box. It was on going for about a year and I did nothing about it until it started to develop and began juddering in 1st, 2nd and occasionally reverse.

After a few visits to my local dealer , who were very helpful, they fitted a clutch pack and the problem dissapeared.

Hope this help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, everyone. Im from Chile and was having the same problem than the post author. My car is an audi a3 1.8T 2011 30000km dsg7. Took it to dealer who replaced the double clutch pack with a new improved one codenamed 0am198140c. This has stoped the juddering nevertheless im still worried about it. Will it happen again? Does anyone with the new clutch pack has had any issues?

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum, 

if it is fixed then hopefully thats it.

Your gearbox is a totally different one from in the lower powered/output Fabias.

george

mine has never done this, but it has been brought up before.... one poster said it was cured by a clutch pack.... I would say if a friend brought a manual car to me that was juddering in this fashion, I'd say "its your clutch" ... so It makes sense to me that a replacement clutch pack could cure the issue....