Timing Belt Change Intervals (1.4TDi 80 [BNV])

I know I have conflicting information in my head about the timings miles v years from various sources.

What i need to know is, if it is offical Skoda Policy to be changed at four years now?

The reason I ask is that I bought the car at 27000m when it was 3.5years old.

It was serviced at 4years old, back in October and the dealer did not mention the timing belt whatsoever.

Should the dealer have said anything?

The car is now 4.5years old with 38000m and my extended warranty expired last weekend.

Is it ok top leave it to 72000m, as per the service book or should it already have been changed??

Thanks for that Tech1e.

I think it may be worth asking the Dealer why they didn't mention it, obviously not on the ball, good to know.

I'm sure Skoda UK would not be happy about their slackness.

P

PS Can anyone recommend a reasonable place (Not a Dealer) to get the cambelt done in the North-East?

To be honest, go with a good Skoda dealer. They will use the genuine belt and will know to change the tensioner, water pump and belt all at the same time. They will also make sure it's tensioned to the correct spec...something that isn't always done properly at non franchised dealers. Ignore the tensioner and water pump change at your peril! The tensioner and pump are not expensive and the labour is only just a bit more, it's fairly pricey overall but has to be done. Tensioner problems and water pump weeps are the main cause of belt failure, not belt wear generally. Cost is around £400 for the 4 year service, I guess this is the reason your dealer didn't do it early at 3.5years, but he should really have mentioned it as warranty is dependant on having this sort of thing done on time, even if the miles are low. PD engines have the belt drive the combo injector pumps as well as the camshaft, and it is a fairly stressed component on this engine, so don't skimp.

Edited by Estate Man

The supplying dealer was the one who serviced it at 4yrs old whilst still in warranty.

They never mentioned it at all. :wall:

To be honest, go with a good Skoda dealer. They will use the genuine belt and will know to change the tensioner, water pump and belt all at the same time. They will also make sure it's tensioned to the correct spec...something that isn't always done properly at non franchised dealers. Ignore the tensioner and water pump change at your peril! The tensioner and pump are not expensive and the labour is only just a bit more, it's fairly pricey overall but has to be done. Tensioner problems and water pump weeps are the main cause of belt failure, not belt wear generally. Cost is around £400 for the 4 year service, I guess this is the reason your dealer didn't do it early at 3.5years, but he should really have mentioned it as warranty is dependant on having this sort of thing done on time, even if the miles are low. PD engines have the belt drive the combo injector pumps as well as the camshaft, and it is a fairly stressed component on this engine, so don't skimp.

I had mine done on miles ,rather than time. Local stealer had no clues on why I asked for water pump change at same time.Seems like we've got senile dementia with stealers on belts/ water pumps/tensioners etc . And I must thank unit 18 for their quote- the stealer almost had a heart attack on seeing the price comparison, but when I looked at the time car had sat idle, going to UNIT 18 ,WAS not an option ,due to potential belt failure / oil breakdown . But, thanks to Ally etc, I git job done at a more reasonable rate . I'd have preferred to have gone to a decent place ( like unit 18 ) ,but couldn't take the risk .