red steering wheel light on dashboard!

A red steering wheel light has appeared on my dash.It just happened as i was driving along a straight road.The steering has went very heavy at low speeds.Tried swiching off car and restarting, but same problem.Can anyone tell me what the problem may be?

Could be the sign of a low battery. For some reason it activates a steering fault on some models if you have electronic steering.

Thanks for your replys-

My car is an 07 1.9 tdi (105bhp) and has no pas fluid(electric),no fuses blown and battery is nearly new(still worth getting it checked out anyway)

Any other ideas would be welcome!

You will need vag-com to see what the problem is. It could be that the car has lost the basic settings.

give this a try, it won't put the light out but it should give you the power steering back.

Start the car > Turn the wheel all the way to the left and hold for few seconds > turn all the way to the right and hold > turn all the way back to the left. This normally brings back the power steering

I believe that even with electrically assisted steering there is still PAS fluid, that is certainly the case on the MK1 Fabia and I believe the MK2 Superb which are both electric.. The only difference is that the PAS pump is driven electrically rather than by a belt so the assistance level can be varied. On the MK1 Fabia the reservoir is below the battery, on the Octavia it will have a green top, look towards the back of the engine bay on the left side. There are definitely hydraulic lines running to the steering rack on the MK2 Octavia so the reservoir is there somewhere.

Have a read of this thread.

http://www.briskoda....t-on-dashboard/

Thanks again,found out the problem-

Cars clutch was replaced 3 weeks ago,

One of the electrical plugs going to the electric pump was not clipped in properly,

Honest mechanic said it was his fault,clipped plug back in,no problem with the steering now.

Thanks again for your replies.

I believe that even with electrically assisted steering there is still PAS fluid, that is certainly the case on the MK1 Fabia and I believe the MK2 Superb which are both electric.. The only difference is that the PAS pump is driven electrically rather than by a belt so the assistance level can be varied. On the MK1 Fabia the reservoir is below the battery, on the Octavia it will have a green top, look towards the back of the engine bay on the left side. There are definitely hydraulic lines running to the steering rack on the MK2 Octavia so the reservoir is there somewhere.

Have a read of this thread.

http://www.briskoda....t-on-dashboard/

Not on my 2009 1.9PD FL. No hydraulics at all on the steering, just electro-mechanical.

• 2 years later...

Could be the sign of a low battery. For some reason it activates a steering fault on some models if you have electronic steering.

Attached a new battery on my 07 td 1.9 and the yellow indicator light was on. It disappeared after few km.will check the fluid next.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2007  skoda estate, diesel, and had the red steering wheel appear, as a result of looking it up, I replaced the battery, as it was starting to be sluggish on start up.............problem solved....................after a few days the red steering wheel appears every now and then, battery is charging fine, i have put one of those diagnostic testers on.shows no faults, and reading these forums confuses even more, does  a 2007 skoda octavia diesel estate 4x4 have steering fluid or not ?, i certainly cannot find anything with a green top at the rear , to the left or anywhere else..............anyone enlighten me????

I have a 2007 skoda estate, diesel, and had the red steering wheel appear, as a result of looking it up, I replaced the battery, as it was starting to be sluggish on start up.............problem solved....................after a few days the red steering wheel appears every now and then, battery is charging fine, i have put one of those diagnostic testers on.shows no faults, and reading these forums confuses even more, does a 2007 skoda octavia diesel estate 4x4 have steering fluid or not ?, i certainly cannot find anything with a green top at the rear , to the left or anywhere else..............anyone enlighten me????

No fluid, the system is electric.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

replaced alternator, battery and starter motor ...cured that fault, now when driving it suddenly judders like fuel fault, sometimes accelerate out of it, sometimes engine management light comes on?