Skoda Superb II known faults

Hello owners of the MKII Superb,

The market for used Skoda Superb II's is growing and for us that don't have too much money, the option of buying one of these, is enticing. But what are the known / obvious faults, that you have experienced through the years as a Superb owner? Are there parts that will fail horribly leaving the car useless? Does the new DSG gear last or does it break after a certain amount of miles? Etc.

Please leave your knowledge here and help the community decide whether the Superb MKII is a good used car to buy.

Thanks in advance! :-)

Well since no one else will, i'll update this post with what i find out myself:

• DSG7 is known to shake and have problems changing gear from 1st to 2nd. There is an official solution by VW, but apparently the new clutch setup for the DSG makes it even more unpleasant to drive. VW investigation continue towards this matter. As i personally understand this issue could happen to any VW, Seat, Skoda, Audi that uses the DSG7 autobox and there is no way of telling if/why it happens.
  • Poor quality badges, that will corrode and start dissolving after just 1 year. This problem has been acknowledged by Skoda and can be fixed under warranty.
  • Colombus head unit is known to fail and stop working. Can be changed free of charge under warranty. If it happens after then it will cost a lot of money. Even paid for, Skoda warranty will not cover the head unit. Also reported errors when searching the POI's on the unit.
  • ABS sensors on front and back are known to corrode and fail. Result of this is ESP, ABS and tire pressure warning lights coming on. Costs are around £30 - £60 to fix.
  • Like many other new cars the EGR is known to fail. Results of this is high loss of water and low heating capabilities. Costs are unknown, but more and more tuning companies offer deals, where you can have the EGR disabled via VCDS. Problem with this is longer warm up, specially at winter time.
  • If you are buying a second hand Elegance check the door side bolster of the leather driver’s seat, they wear into holes very quickly. Skoda will replace the seat cover if it is still in warranty.
  • There's a problem with the twindoor boot latch refusing to work in "hatch mode". See: http://www.briskoda....unk-as-a-hatch/
  • There's been a few cases, where the lacquer on aluminum wheels started corroding and peeling off. Skoda will replace this under warranty.
  • The lower front fog lights can get steamed up inside.
  • Uncomfortable seats, where it's hard to find the correct drivers position. Also several reported problems with the electric seats, that can cause some issues with the position of the seat and can evolve it's own personality and change it as it wants...
  • Many have posted here on these forums about an annoying rattle from the glove compartment. The cause is unknown.
  • Rust starting to appear on the bonnet just after 2 years. It is very difficult to spot, but if you see a kind of a small white line in the groove between the crome part and the paintwork, then for sure rust is on its way.
    Pictures of the problem in the german forum, see: (THANKS TO i-s)
    http://www.skodacomm...be-lackschäden/
  • Perhaps the awful stuttering 'characteristic' (as VAG put it) of the 140 PD engine at around 1500 RPM could be added. From my point of view this is the worst thing about the car. (THANKS TO Boynielaad)

Updating will continue...

Edited by Cown

• Like many other new cars the EGR is known to fail. Results of this is high loss of water and low heating capabilities. Costs are unknown, but more and more tuning companies offer deals, where you can have the EGR disabled via VCDS. Problem with this is longer warm up, specially at winter time.

Updating will continue...

Hi mate,

I don't have the diesel in my Superb but I have a VW 1.9PD and would like to know why the EGR fault causes a high loss of water. Don't they just fall open or shut like my other diesel cars have? The EGR coolers are usually separate...so I can't see why there would be any water/coolant loss?

I've owned my Superb 2.0 TDI for 2 1/2 years (since new) and have been generally worry free. Only warranty action was a too touchy alarm. The car was supplied with crap Dunlops which sawtoothed quickly and were consigned to the dump but Dunlops are crap on any car - not just Skoda. The DSG is quite jerky at takeoff particularly in reverse when parking but overall, I'm very satisfied with my motor car!!

:rock:

Thanks guys.

About the EGR, there are several different faults, that can happen with this. I've only just searched through the Superb II forum section and noticed that the most frequent reports regarding EGR problems have somehow resultet in loss of water. I'm sorry if I've supplied wrong information.

Please tell us how can you disable the EGR on Superb via VCDS.From my knowledge,it's only possible on the old 1.9Tdi(like ALH engine),and early 2.0Tdi(EDC-16),but even at those engines,it wasn't a "disable".

Since i'm not into the technical bits and pieces and I have never laid my hand on VCDS i'm afraid i cannot help you with that. :-)

VCDS is? (my guess VW Computer Diagnostic System). How far out/wrong am I?

PS How do you put photograghs on to your file? I have look but can't find an answer I understand :(

Thanks

VCDS used to be called something else. But because it's not from VW the name had to be changed, so it's probably not got VW in the name.

VCDS is? (my guess VW Computer Diagnostic System). How far out/wrong am I?

PS How do you put photograghs on to your file? I have look but can't find an answer I understand :(

Thanks

Fairly close TBH

Vag Com Diagnostic System

If you are buying a second hand Elegance check the door side bolster of the leather driver’s seat, they wear into holes very quickly. Skoda will replace the seat cover if it is still in warranty.

If you are buying a second hand Elegance check the door side bolster of the leather driver’s seat, they wear into holes very quickly. Skoda will replace the seat cover if it is still in warranty.

This has been added to the list, thanks a lot. :-)

The Warranty work I had done.

On 3 wheels the laquer lifted off with the aluminium corroding. Skoda replaced the 4 wheels.

The lower front fog lights were replaced even though they didnt fog for me.

The boot latch was changed as there was a fault with it.

• 6 months later...

My 2010 Superb has been showing ESP/ABS fault and the three warning lamps ABS, ESP, and Tyre Pressure in the Instrument cluster for the past 8 months. Dont notice much difference in the drive though. The brake seems to be working pretty fine to me. Took the car in for service, The technician told me that three wheel speed sensors had failed and needed replacement. Five days following service the error is back on and I feel ripped off of 16000INRS. Iam in India btw. Any suggestions ppl ??

The seats are also an issue as recent posts will witness. Far too many people find them uncomfortable including me.

There is also that problem with the seat backs mysteriously dropping down on electric versions.

Another problem that folks have reported here is the mystery rattle in the vicinity of the passenger glove compartment which several folks on here have mentioned.

EGR can be disabled, even on 1.6 TDI, but you have to get a remap to do it.

My 2011 Greenline has been without problems so far. Only the badges was replaced under warranty.

The seats are also an issue as recent posts will witness. Far too many people find them uncomfortable including me.

There is also that problem with the seat backs mysteriously dropping down on electric versions.

Another problem that folks have reported here is the mystery rattle in the vicinity of the passenger glove compartment which several folks on here have mentioned.

Yeah the mystery rattle from the glove box area does exist. also I have this rattle from the rear seats that gets on my nerves..

Well can somebody think of a reason for my abs/esp and tyre pressure lights coming on even after replacing the sensors on the superb 2

Diagnostic tools can tell why. Anything else is guessing.

Hi,

What I have strugled with is mostly rattling from the doors during playing radio / music. This is a very common error from what I can see from forum posts.

Also look out for RUST in the bonnet. Mine is 21 mnds now and has it. You just need to know where to look, because you have to look very carefully. I have checked other used my 10/11 S2's (at dealers and on parking lots) and I would say 2 out of 3 has it. My dealer has also told me it is a common problem. If not fixed I can imagine how it will look when the car is 5 years old :think:. This has to be fixed on the paintwork warranty, since the other warranties does not cover it - the rust is from outside in. Watch out for this :wonder: .

Edited by i-s

Hi i-s and thanks for the "warning".

Where on the bonnet have you found rust? Must be on the "outside" as you spot it on parking lots?

What seems to be the cause?

I just fixed some minor marks from gravel, stone chips (?) etc and could not find any issues (the car has been subject to a major body work for preventing future rust issues and they also checked it for rust issues and found none).

I have heard (and seen) it on other car models; it basically cracks off due to limited adhesion of the paint vs the galvanized metal, especially critical in sharp edges or that galvanic oxidation happens because of a wrong mix of metal alloys. Could these be the issues you have seen?

Hi CRV. Its the crome part with the badge on the front. This crome part has a kind of sharp edge. This edge is pressed against the paintwork (clever design :wall: ).

It is very difficult to spot, but if you see a kind of a small white line in the groove between the crome part and the paintwork, then for sure rust is on its way.

I posted pictures of the problem in the german forum, see:

http://www.skodacommunity.de/skoda-forum/skoda-superb-ii-forum/78417-motorhaube-lacksch%C3%A4den/

I found it then I was changing my badges to the new type. I took of the crome part for doing the work at a bench and got quite chocked what I saw underneath.