Maximum Response for my Yeti - PedalBox

bahnstormer vrs

I have an arthritic right ankle that severely reduces the down/up movement available to me and as such I've had a long standing issue with my DSG Yeti in that, whilst I've had it remapped by Shark Performance (excellent by the way), I find the travel on the throttle pedal too long to get a good and quick throttle response. That is I can only easily move my right foot over about 2/3rd of the pedal travel and applying full throttle is a pain, literally.

I bought the CR140 DSG version of Yeti (much as I would have dearly loved the CR170) as I needed the DSG automatic so that, with the problems in my right ankle, I can left foot brake.

Additionally, notwithstanding my ankle issues, I do find my Yeti’s pedal response a degree lethargic and would dearly like to have some form of ‘Sport’ button, as on my Company’s FIAT 500s and my Son’s MINI Cooper (and various other cars), without having to resort to using the ‘S’ mode on the DSG which can then hang onto gears longer that I would wish.

At the end of last year I saw an advert in EVO magazine for the PedalBox offering improved throttle response, did some research and then did some dithering. There was a degree of scepticism in my decision to buy a PedalBox as, whilst there are plenty of positive testimonials on their website, I also found some negative and 'doubting Thomas' comments in some forums (not least of which was Briskoda).

However about a month ago, with my ankle not getting any better, I took the plunge, decided to give it a go and contacted Diesel Tuning UK about a PedalBox. Speaking with Andy, the Guv'nor, he told me that a Version 3.0 was due to be released soon, details of which can be found here;- www.pedalbox.com/en/ but in the meantime he would sell me a Version 1.0 to try out and upgrade me to the V3.0 when it was available.

Further details can also be found on Diesel Tuning's UK PedalBox website here;- www.pedal-box.co.uk

Fitting was pretty straightforward and simple, once I’d removed the throttle pedal assembly for which I needed a special tool from my local dealer, which cost less than £10.

The PedalBox V1.0 gives a selection of four ‘Maps’ for the improvement of the throttle pedal response and I have now been testing these out in my Yeti over the past few weeks, getting some reasonable mileage, both town and open road/Motorway on each map to get and understand the ‘feel’ of each setting. My thoughts and response to each Map is as follows;-

Map 1 – Sharper response with a ‘light’ feel to it, akin to the ‘S’ setting on the DSG but with change up points remaining normal as opposed to the S where the DSG hangs onto the gears (higher revs) much more. Down change more responsive as well. Good setting when in the mood to press on.

Map 2 – Stronger and sharper version of map 1 with the same traits. However down change is too keen even to the point that, when in ‘manual’ application of the throttle will cause the DSG to change down, when it should stay in gear selected, as if ‘kickdown’ mode is being used (which I virtually never use). A bit ‘over the top’ – for use with a DSG gearbox but may well be OK in a manual car.

Map 3 – Strong and solid response, very similar to the OE setting in character, but clearly stronger. Feels like the engine is working for economy, without being lethargic. Engine retains the deeper tone of a swell of torque being used. It doesn’t though seem to be too much different to the OE map.

Map 4 – Stronger version of Map 3 with engine really pulling well. Good to use on a daily basis feels like the engine has a good dollop of extra power/torque.

Having now tried the basis maps I am now testing out the + or – 1, 2 or 3 options; to see how these vary the basic settings.

Overall though I’ve found that the PedalBox does ‘exactly what it says on the tin’ in a manner that is best described as giving me a multi variable ‘sport’ button to my throttle pedal and has 1. improved the driveability of my Yeti no end, making it more enjoyable that it already is, and 2. made life much easier for me with my restricted ankle movement.

Conclusion; A Winner.

• Like 1

You could just move your seat forward.

Silly!

The guy has restricted movement of the ankle, if you can't be bothered to post sensibly I wonder how many of your enormous post count has been worth reading?

"Some, or more" is the number of posts that are worth reading.

It was a genuine comment; the closer you are to the pedal, the less movement of ankle that is required to press the pedal, surely?

Also, I'd be concerned with the tripple-threat that is a remap, DSG and this magic box-o-tricks - there's a failure in there somewhere, and I'd put a shiny penny on it being the DSG box throwing a wobbly due to it :)

Glad you like it on the Yeti.

We had the same thing on our last 320i (E46).

It gives a much sharper acceleration. However, the pedal was much more sensitive and (not sure if it is linked or not) the gearbox needed rebuilding after only 40,000 miles due to the sharper acceleration (potentially). Then again, the 320i has a much more linear acceleration curve and an old torque converter gearbox, not a DSG, which behaves like a manual.

"Some, or more" is the number of posts that are worth reading.

It was a genuine comment; the closer you are to the pedal, the less movement of ankle that is required to press the pedal, surely?

I appreciate your thought, but don't think so.

Look at it this way; the pedal has an arc of movement of, say, 45 degrees whereas my ankle only has an arc of movement of 30 degrees. Yes; I could likely be able to apply full throttle, but only if I start with my foot in position with 1/3rd throttle already applied. Hardly a workable scenario.

What I now have is that, in very simple terms, if the OE setup is to generate 75% throttle application with 75% movement of the pedal, I can now get 75% of throttle application with only 50% of pedal movement. It suits my ankle, but for regular drivers, makes the throttle response sharper and sportier.

Also, I'd be concerned with the tripple-threat that is a remap, DSG and this magic box-o-tricks - there's a failure in there somewhere, and I'd put a shiny penny on it being the DSG box throwing a wobbly due to it :)

I don't believe there is an issue with this at all, as I am not generating any extra 'load' on the engine or drivetrain, merely changing the relationship between when/how the load is requested (by moving the accelerator pedal) and when/how the load is produced (as dictated by the ECU). Here's a graph from the PedalBox website to show what I mean;-

pedalboxGraph.jpg

Overall; whilst the PedalBox is perfect for my particular (ankle related) situation, it is also beneficial for someone who want a sportier, sharper throttle response as otherwise provided by a 'sport' button'.

I trust this makes sense.

Well that's fair enough regarding the ankle, but the remap would possibly have increased throttle response, and the DSG is looking for signals from the pedal with regards to kick down etc.

Well that's fair enough regarding the ankle, but the remap would possibly have increased throttle response, and the DSG is looking for signals from the pedal with regards to kick down etc.

Probably quite correct; that's why I feel that 'Map 2' is too strong (for my liking) as it induces kickdown when running the DSG in manual, when I prefer to hold the gear.

Using the +1 and +2 setting of Map 1 has progressed this towards Map 2 but, as yet, without the unwanted kickdownability.

Did you not speak to Shark with regards to changing the throttle mapping on your remap?

I did think of doing that, but it would have required a day trip to Mansfield (time & money) and I would then only get one alternate 'map'.

With the PedalBox I have got numerous setting to play with according to my mood and journey. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Well, I’ve been trying out the + 1, + 2 & + 3 settings over the last few weeks and found that I like;-

1. Map 1 with + 1 or + 2; but not + 3 as it makes the response too sharp and the DSG changes down too easily and
  2. Map 3 with + 2 or + 3 and
  3. Map 4 with + 1 or + 2; but not + 3 as it seems to choke things off, almost as if the engine is being over fuelled.

I would happily ‘play’ with these settings depending on my mood but for now rotate around Map 4 + 2 and Map 1 + 2, just for a change.

Removed the PedalBox this morning to return to Diesel Tuning UK and swap over for a V_3 version that allows you to switch between maps at the press of a button 'on the fly'.

The V_3 though allows only 3 Maps (not 4) but the option to turn it off and revert to the OE map so have decided to go for Maps 1, 2, and 4 and will then play with the + and - from there. Hopefully will get the V-3 by the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Well got the V_3 PedalBox a couple of weeks ago and got it fitted the other weekend.

The V_3 version makes a big difference to the usability of the PedalBox as, having mounted the control box on the dashboard by the screen pillar, I can now change maps at will during a journey i.e. I went for a bit of a blast on one of my favourite roads this week (B660 Kimbolton to Sawtry on the A1(M)) and used Map 1 with +1 on the B660 itself but as soon as I got back onto the A1(M) switched over to Map 3. It's just like the Sport button on my Son's Mini Cooper S, except with 4 settings not 2!

P1010302.jpg

Fitting is really quite simple, following the instructions that come with the PedalBox with a little adaptation as the Accelerator pedal unit on my Yeti conceals the plug connector to the wiring loom. Here's a step by Step of what to do;-

1. Prise off the cover to the bolt securing the accelerator unit to the floor and undo (10mm socket)

P1010287.jpg

Insert the 'Special Tool', bought from my local dealer for around £8, into the base of the accelerator unit to release the base clips

P1010288.jpg

P1010290.jpg

Pushing the tool forward and angled down, releases the catches on the base of the accelerator unit

P1010291.jpg

which can then be lifted up and out. Mulitpin plug is disconnected from the unit.

P1010293.jpg

PedalBox is then readied for fitting

P1010294.jpg

plugs on the wire are fed between the carpet and wheelarch ready for connection

P1010295.jpg

pedalBox plug is connected to wiring loom plug and accelerator unit is offered up ready to connect

P1010296.jpg

Second PedalBox plug is connected to pedal unit

P1010297.jpg

Having connected all up, ignition switched on and throttle pedal pressed to check operation. All was OK and ignition switched back off. Pedal unit is then refitted/secured into position

P1010298.jpg

Finally, control unit wire is routed around the back of, and up the side of the dashboard unit to exit at the base of the screen pillar and positioning set, then secured with some velcro pads; ready to use. In this position the control unit is easily and safely reachable whilst driving

P1010302.jpg

Job done, off on a test drive and looking forward to much future enjoyment. :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I managed to make my Yeti go into "Limp Mode" because of PedalBox. I  was using Sport Plus +3 and DSG was in D-mode when I suddenly floored the pedal. DSG in S-mode this has never happened :)

PedalBox programmes explained:

http://www.pedalbox.com/en/pedalbox/programmes.html

Edited by headman78

For anyone with lower limb Mobility Issues / Disabilities,  

Can the Brakes Assist Setting on Yeti be reset by Dealers to give more assistance & less need for pressure when pushing the brake pedal.?

As the Steering can be reset with more assistance.