Just bought the Superb. Need advice on getting MDI retrofit in Bolero Stereo & LED DRL's

Hello. Just joined this wonderful forum. I am from Meerut, India and have just bought a new Skoda Superb in Rosso -

post-88829-0-24375700-1335335735_thumb.jpg

superbfront.jpg

superbsideprofile.jpg

My Initial Ownership report is here with detailed photos - http://www.team-bhp....st-destiny.html

Now I would like the help of this informed community as to -

1. My Car comes with a Bolero Stereo with SD card, Bluetooth and Aux-In port (inside the centre storage armrest). I would like to add a MDI interface to this stereo to add-on ipod compatibility for my stereo. It should be OEM and should not give any error on the MID. Is that possible? If yes, how to go about it? Also would appreciate Bolero stereo dis-assembly procedure/photos for the Superb II to get it out of the dash to retrofit the MDI interface.

2. I would also like to add some LED DRL's instead of the stock P21W bulbs which are CANBUS compatible and do not give any error on the MID, at reasonable cost with the supplier willing to ship to India.

Thanks.

Edited by dkaile
  • Like 1

Strange to see the inter-continental differences in the Superb.

With leather in the Uk, seats are heated - yours are not

With BiXenon headlights, Columbus SatNav is fitted....

There are kits on eBay for the MDI - but it may need re-programming into the cars ecu.

Al.

Strange to see the inter-continental differences in the Superb.

With leather in the Uk, seats are heated - yours are not

With BiXenon headlights, Columbus SatNav is fitted....

There are kits on eBay for the MDI - but it may need re-programming into the cars ecu.

The seats are also Nappa Leather in India but beige in colour. The carpeting though has been changed to black post circa 2012 due to dusty conditions here. No use of heated seats here, though the ventilated option would have been nice for the North Indian heat. Bi-Xenons with AFS are there but they have skipped the Columbus Sat Nav for a Bolero. Maybe due to incompatibility/unavailability of maps on their vendors platform, though lots of pan India GPS systems are available here (MapmyIndia for instance), would have been nice to see on which is dash fitted like the Columbus though.

I found one MDI kit on ebay which is exactly similar to the one posted by mannyo (Thanks!) which says no coding required - http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649 . I also messaged him and he replied that no coding will be required and the system will show MDI within the Media field. Wonder if I will loose the aux-in in that case though and how much of that is true?

Edited by dkaile

Nice car, nice colour.

On the DRLs, there are plenty of threads on here regarding different types of LEDs available (most from eBay). A number of Superb owners have tried with success to fit LEDs, whereas others (like myself) have tried and failed. This is largely dependent upon the model year (MY) of your car. It would appear that the newer models are very particular in which LEDs they will accept, and not produce errors.

• Like 1

Nice car, nice colour.

On the DRLs, there are plenty of threads on here regarding different types of LEDs available (most from eBay). A number of Superb owners have tried with success to fit LEDs, whereas others (like myself) have tried and failed. This is largely dependent upon the model year (MY) of your car. It would appear that the newer models are very particular in which LEDs they will accept, and not produce errors.

Thanks Coops. Wonder if these will work though - http://www.ebay.com/itm/170729737146?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 as suggested by another member on this forum. The price seems a little steep because eventually I think all of these are sourced from China. Have to see if I can get this cheaper in our flea markets at Delhi?

I have just bought the Armrest version (in the post) and wondering how to install it in the armrest as no cover plate to remove? I know I could put it in the glove box but prefer the option to put it in the armrest.

I thing the new MDI is installed (factory fit) in the glove box?

Also I have retro fitted a Columbus and VW Bluetooth and know ther is not much room left to install any extra cable for the MDI, so any advice please.

OT:- Just Joined!! The forum and the Skoda Superb owners club!!

Hey dkaile!! Firstly many congratulations on your Superb. Looks Awesome!!

Your review on team bhp was to die for!! Awesome pics!!

N secondly you(n the 1.7L discount) have been instrumental in me owning the Superb.

Same car only Candy White in colour.

I would also like to go in for the led drl's.They look nice!! Agree with you on the positioning of the drl's and the shape of the tail lights, deliberately done by Skoda otherwise the only difference between Audi N Skoda would be of design at half the cost!!

Do tell me were you source your drl's from..

• Like 1

Thanks Kashish and I hope you must be enjoying your Superb as much as I am. Will keep all updated if and when I upgrade my drl's and mdi cable.

Thanks Kashish and I hope you must be enjoying your Superb as much as I am. Will keep all updated if and when I upgrade my drl's and mdi cable.

I sure am!! Sure thing!!

Happy driving!!

Do keep ur thread on team bhp updated..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm in the same position, having just take delivery of a top of the range Superb (2.0 litre, 140ps, DSG, 4-x-4, Elegance, L&K, Estate) bought over the Internet for a £6,000 saving, and while I added a couple of options, I failed to add an MDI interface.

I've now got all the parts required for a retrofit, and have looked at a number of installation instructions for other Skoda & VW models, which don't quite fit my Superb.

Is anyone aware of a set of suitable instructions for a 2012 SuperbII? I'm willing to try and fit it in the centre console, if that is possible, though I have a VW interface box that is bigger than those depicted in links above.

With no response, here's my plan of attack:

1. Remove Gear Selector unit (leather and screws) - pre-req for 2 below

2. Remove Ash Tray (screws) - to gain access to loom path

3. Remove Rear console (screws) - to provide access to console glove box, and hopefully, space for MDI printed circuit board.

If no space, will have to re-think.

4. Partially remove Columbus unit (frame and screws)

5. Route loom from behind Columbus unit to Ash Tray location.

6. Insert Can Bus bridge between Columbus socket and existing plug

7. Replace Columbus unit, but don't secure

8. Attach & test MDI with:

a. iPod to MDI connector

b. iPod to USB to MDI connectors

c. If no difference will install USB socket in console glove box. otherwise MDI socket.

9. Route loom from Ash Tray to rear of glove box

A. I will route 2nd USB socket from 12v to USB adaptor in Ash Tray for charging only.

B. Connect, position & secure MDI circuit board (either in or out of case).

C. Drill and file holes to hold USB sockets on either side of the Aux socket

D. Verify operation and then glue USB sockets into console glove box.

E. Reverse steps 1-4 above.

Hopefully done. I'll take pictures.

Any comments?

Edited by Nick-at-da-Mill
  • Like 1

Yeah. Planning to keep it for a long time. We have a 12 year old manual 2.8 litre petrol Passat 4Motion Estate which is still going strong, but due to several bad fractures my wife is no longer able to drive a manual. So we had to get something else, and decided to go for a top of the range (L&K) 4x4 (we live in the wilds) automatic Superb Estate. Given everything else that is thrown in to the L&K package, the absence of MDI was a surprise.

Anyway, we have a huge legal music library (ripped from CDs). I'll start by supporting an 180GB iPod and then a 1TB USB disk!

Hi Nick. It's an awful lot of work to go to, when a Parrot MKi9200 would give you a similar level of facility ( + album art - don't know if you would see that on the Columbus?)

There again, it's not as elegant a solution, as befits an Elegance ! From a somewhat jealous 1.4TSi 'S' driver!

Good idea, but what would it get me that plugging the iPod into the Aux port wouldn't? In any case, I have a DAB radio already plugged into the Aux port, to make up for crappy DVB radio reception, and DVB radio stations being disabled at night in Scotland (don't ask).

In any case,I want to be able to select music from the steering wheel & MDOT display, which I don't think the Parrot or other Bluetooth adaptor would give me. Would it?

Can I ask why you are hell bent on fitting the MDI?

Personally I use the SD card and cannot fault it.

hi - new to this site and a techno fool. please can you advise how i can transfer my itunes to an SD card that the Colombus will read?

i'm hoping to use music files, audiobooks and podcasts but don't believe these are in MP3 format as std

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to doing the installation on my new Superb. Removing the centre console turned out to be a step too far, so I ended up housing the MDI control unit and a 4-port USB header (for charging) in the center console glove box. E.g., below the arm rest. This necessitated, cutting a small (2-x-2.5 cm) hole (drilled and then filed) in the front wall of the glovebox through which to pass the MDI, and an USB, cables, and in a position that will allow the MDI connector to pass back through the wall when the MDI control unit is seated in the glove box - it won't fit otherwise.Things I learned that may prove helpful:

1. An 3,5mm Aux to MDI cable did not work for me. It may have been a bad cable, or I may have a back-level MDI control unit.
  2. An iPod will not function if connected through an iPod to USB to MDI cable pair. Again, I may have a back-level MDI control unit.
  3. An iPod does function correctly using an iPod to MDI cable.
  4. If you have a device plugged into the MDI control unit, there is no way other than disconnecting that device to play from the Aux socket.
  5. Devices (e.g., an iPod, etc.) will remain alive (drawing power) but will not be charged if the head end is switched off.
    For this reason, I spliced a 12v socket to USB adaptor to USB extension cable into the rear cigarette lighter cicuit.
  6. Make sure you have the right MDI wiring loom. There are several variants.

1. Simplest - connects 8 (of 12) MDI pins to the head end, and does not bridge B connector pins 1, 2 & 7. (Aux).
    2. Aux bridging - connects 8 (of 12) MDI pins to the head end, and does bridge B connector pins 1, 2 & 7. (Aux).
    3. CD changer bridging - connects all 12 MDI pins to the head end, and may bridge B connector pins 1, 2 & 7. (Aux).

[*]I had the simplest, and added the 3 missing wires and pins myself. Not difficult if you have suitable parts and experience. I did!

Now to how I would have done the installation, knowing what I know now.

1. I used a belt sander to remove the clamp from the top cover of the MDI control unit, and glued my 4-port USB header to it in an appropriate position,
  2. I made an appropriate hole in the globe comprtment front wall, large enough for the MDI cable connector to pass through easily, when the MDI control unit is seated.
  3. I lifted out the entire gear lever surround (unit containing switches). This required an old (and redundant) credit card which is inserted into an outer edge, slid round a corner, and then used to lever out that corner. I repeated this for all four corners.
  4. On an automatic, it was necessary to disconnect the plugs below the gear level surround, and place the lever in Drive, in order to gain access to the ashtray skrews. This required the ignition key to be inserted and turned to its first position
  5. I removeed the two ashtray screws and raised it enough to get my hand below it.
  6. IMPORTANT. On an automatic, you must return the gear lever to the Park position and remove the ignition key!!
  7. I then removed the surround from around the head end again using the credit card trick. There is a plug attatched to the lower edge of the surround - remove it and the the surround.
    DO NOT INSERT AND TURN THE IGNITION KEY WITH THIS PLUG REMOVED, OR YOU WILL LOG AN AIRBAG FAULT!!
  8. I then unscrewed the four head end srews and withdrew the head end, which I kept hold off (avoid the screen and on/off button when holding the head end).
  9. I then unlocked and removed the main head end female connector from the head end. This required moving the lever on the botton edge of the connector outwards and upwards until the connector comes away with no effort from the head end.
  10. I then inserded the female connector of the MDI wiring loom into the head end (no insertion effort should be required) and locked it, again using the lever
  11. I then inserded the removed female connector into the male end of the MDI wiring loom and locked it. This again requires using the lever.
  12. I then stowed the head end back into its opening.
  13. The head end may switch on without the ignition key being inserted and turned. If it does not, you will have to replace the plug into the lower edge of the surround, before turning the ignition key to its first position and back (see warning above).
  14. I then plugged in the MDI control unit, and verified that my AUX connection was still alive and that an iPod behaved correctly. It was, and it did. If you encouter a problem you will need to troubleshoot. Start with the connectors!
  15. I then unplugged the MDI control unit, and pushed the MDI cable down behind the dash (there is a slot until it reached the area behind the ashtray.
  16. I then used my hand to retrieve the cable from behind the ashtray and route it into the center console tunnel.
  17. I then used a solid wire to drag the MDI cable from below the gearshift into the glove box (do not force it!) and re-connected it to the MDI control unit. I then repeated steps 12-13 above. If everything is still OK, proceed.
  18. I then inserted and re-secured the head end and its surround. Insertion ws a bit tricky. I needed to slide the loom and its connectors up into the vent area above to make enough space to seat the head end. This took a while. Do not force it.
    REMEMBER TO RE-INSERT THE PLUG ON THE LOWER EDGE OF THE SURROUND!!
  19. I then re-secured the ashtray, re-connected the plugs to the gear lever surround and re-inserted it.
  20. I then removed the top unit (in my case clock and seat warmer controls, 12v socket) at the rear of the central console, again using the credit card trick, and spliced my additional 12v socket into the 12v wires leading to the rear socket. Remeber to check that you have right wires and polarity!
  21. I then inserted and secured a 12v to USB adaptor and USB extension cable into by new 12v socket, and verified that it provided USB power by attaching my DAB radio and checking that it was being charged,
  22. I then used a wire to fish the USB cable into the glove compartment and attach and secure it to my 4-port USB header. The fishing was fidley, and took about 30 mins.
  23. I then re-inserted, the rear unit, and I was done.

I've been very happy with the results.

Edited by Nick-at-da-Mill
  • Like 1

hi - new to this site and a techno fool. please can you advise how i can transfer my itunes to an SD card that the Colombus will read?

i'm hoping to use music files, audiobooks and podcasts but don't believe these are in MP3 format as std

Hi

Maybe better that you move this query to another thread, since this one is specifically about MDI. However, the following page at Apple support should answer your question.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4394732?start=0&tstart=0