Yeti vs Tiguan

jlwah

I'm thinking of replacing SWMBO's Yeti and my initial thought was to replace with another 170 Elegance, however I've just done a costing on a new Tiguan 170 SE on DtD and compared it to a Yeti.

The following are the specification and prices for the two:

VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN DIESEL ESTATE 2.0 TDi SE 170 5dr

Winter pack - Tiguan (when ordered with cloth upholstery)

ACC - Adaptive chassis control

Retractable towbar

Front + rear carpet mats

Bi-xenon headlights with washers + dynamic curve lighting + front fog lights + LED daytime running lights and tail lights

Electronic differential lock

Metallic paint

Mirror pack - Tiguan SE/Sport/Escape

Storage pack - Tiguan

Colour: Metallic - Nimbus grey, £495

Trim: Pandu cloth - Titan black, £0

Total: £25,771.85

SKODA YETI DIESEL ESTATE 2.0 TDI CR [170] Elegance 4x4 5dr

Metallic paint

Towbar preparation

Rough road pack - Yeti

Acoustic parking sensors - front + rear

Floor mats

Heated windscreen

Electric seat and mirror pack - Yeti

Front passenger seat with fold flat facility

Tyre pressure monitor

Colour: Metallic - Steel grey, £460

Trim: Leather - Onyx, £0

Total: £23,089.35

+ towbar £650

Total: £23,739.35

So the Tiguan is approx £2K more and does without leather (and possibly a few other bits'n'bobs). Also the VW has a £99 3 year servicing deal if finance is taken out, whilst this is free on the Yeti with finance.

I quite like the look of the f/l Tiguan, though the interior isn't as nice but it's a bit bigger.

Now I know this isn't likely to be the most unbiased place to ask for thoughts on the Tiguan vs the Yeti, but I'd be interested on people's thoughts.

All I can say is that I did exactly these kind of comparisons, and drove both cars (albeit a CR140 Tiggywinkle), before I made my mind up ... I think I made the right choice.

I sat in a new Tiguan the other day, while looking at the UP for my son .

Too big for my requirements,the price was over £26,000

It had cloth seats and the dreaded electric Handbrake....

So that's a no from me...... :no:

All I can say is that I did exactly these kind of comparisons, and drove both cars (albeit a CR140 Tiggywinkle), before I made my mind up ... I think I made the right choice.

We sort of did the same thing before getting our 170 and at the time I think the price differential was greater, easily making the Yeti the better buy. We both like the Yeti and it's suited our needs and probably would do again, it's just that I think the f/l Tiguan looks good and the option of adaptive damping appeals.

Though as bilun777 mentions, there is the electronic handbrake to think of.

Plus, the wife has just pointed out that leather would make sense given the stable trips and the dog, so now we're talking £3.3K difference.

Hmmmmmm . . . . .

I liked the tiggywinkle, and would have been willing to pay for it, but I preferred the Yeti - and the money saved was a bonus. Look how many polls/road tests there are where the snow monster comes out top ... then look for the tiggy in the same lists.

Did the same comparison between a Tig 170 Sport and the Yeti.

Plusses for the TIg .... heavier and better nosweight limit, so better for towing.

Minuses for the Tig .... price, ugly dash layout, much less kit

Also it would have meant moving away from our excellent Skoda dealer.

• Like 1

I had a Tiguan SE 170.....nice.....I now want a Yeti.

Immediately after the Tig went I drove the Yeti....and I preferred it. To me the seating position is better, I thought the Yeti was a bit quieter (140 DSG) and its a bit smaller so it goes in the garage better.

I quite like the look of the f/l Tiguan, though the interior isn't as nice but it's a bit bigger.

Now I know this isn't likely to be the most unbiased place to ask for thoughts on the Tiguan vs the Yeti, but I'd be interested on people's thoughts.

I've always fancied a Tiguan and had a test drive when I decided that my current BMW Touring needed replacing. I found it rather boring and way too expensive. I now don't like the look of them, or the Touareg for that matter. The Yeti was much more fun in the test drive, felt livelier on the road, felt roomier and brighter as a driving environment and was way cheaper. The Tiguan is too expensive at £29k for leather and sunroof.

My dilemma is that I still fancy the X-1, ugly though it is. I can get a good discount and that puts it into the running with a Yeti. I keep vacillating despite the fact that I have a Yeti on order, with deposit paid . . .

Chris

Different cars by a large margin .... quite surprisingly so .... and I was looking at the R-Line CR170 ... very glad I got Betty.

I was looking 2 years ago at a spec'ed up R-line vs 170 Yeti Elegance (plus a few extras) and the difference was £7k in the end.. Guess which won and I'm very glad my Yeti did!

I was looking 2 years ago at a spec'ed up R-line vs 170 Yeti Elegance (plus a few extras) and the difference was £7k in the end.. Guess which won and I'm very glad my Yeti did!

What amazed me was the R-Line I seen without leather, 140 engine and knocking on for £25-27K with 1 year of milage. Quick check of the Skoda used car locator found CR170 Elegance 4x4s.

Its much the same in Ireland.

Volkswagen Ireland provide a poor choice for the Tiguan.

No petrols are available here and the 170ps diesel is not available either.

So I specced the closest 140ps diesel compared to the Yeti we went with and the price difference was a beefy €7000! (£5700)

I'm thinking of replacing SWMBO's Yeti and my initial thought was to replace with another 170 Elegance, however I've just done a costing on a new Tiguan 170 SE on DtD and compared it to a Yeti.

. . .

I should be interested to know why you need to change the car, unless it's just because you don't keep cars that long.

I'm planning to keep my Yeti for a while, y'see . . .

Chris

I owned a Tiguan 140 Sport before the Yeti. God knows why it was called Sport as it was a very dull.if perfectly competent car . Good points- great cabin ambience and lighting; excellent off road . Bad points- awful stupid electronic handbrake, appalling ride on 18" wheels, thirsty (37-8mpg ), too big , too heavy. average lights, terrible turning circle . Yeti better in every way except cabin lighting - and far quieter at speed too.

Why not get SWMBO to have a drive and check out for herself. Further to what others have mentioned so far

Yeti turning circle 10.3m (vs Tiguan 12m) makes a big difference to us - easier to manoeuvre than our Polo!

Packaging - movable/removable seats.

Shopping bag hooks and nets in in our Yeti are fabulous.

Looks - well I love the clean styling of the Yeti, but the 16yr old fashion mogul of the family thinks it's ugly. Personally, I think the new look Tiguan has been ruined (as usual with first revisions of original designer's ideas), esp with the LED tail lights.

Tiguan has better position of sat nav being higher up the dash. (But I think a TomTom is more functional as well as a whole lot cheaper than Columbus.)

I should be interested to know why you need to change the car, unless it's just because you don't keep cars that long.

I'm planning to keep my Yeti for a while, y'see . . .

Chris

We tend to change cars every three years, but I thought I might change the Yeti sooner for a couple of reasons.

One is that both cars are three years old next year (Yeti beginning of March and my vRS end of June) so I'd quite like to space out the replacements to more than 3 or so months.

Secondly, with the strong Yeti residuals it could be an oportune moment to sell and replace without it costing much to do so.

The Yeti will definitely get replaced with either another one or something similar as we need a towing capability and on that score the Tiguan has a slight advantage as it's rated at 2200kg's vs 2000kg's for the Yeti.

Other than that, it's difficult not to choose another Yeti, but it would have been nice if an update was imminent.

We tend to change cars every three years, but I thought I might change the Yeti sooner for a couple of reasons.

One is that both cars are three years old next year (Yeti beginning of March and my vRS end of June) so I'd quite like to space out the replacements to more than 3 or so months.

Secondly, with the strong Yeti residuals it could be an oportune moment to sell and replace without it costing much to do so.

The Yeti will definitely get replaced with either another one or something similar as we need a towing capability and on that score the Tiguan has a slight advantage as it's rated at 2200kg's vs 2000kg's for the Yeti.

Other than that, it's difficult not to choose another Yeti, but it would have been nice if an update was imminent.

Thanks, jilwah.

Chris

Fascinating thread, this.

Like most of you I devour brochures, reports, tests, articles and so on, and yet despite the pretty overwhelming support from the most surprising of sources, the single thing that swayed my decision from every other 4*4 of this size on the market was the unbelievable value for money that the Yeti offered.

I can put it in no other way - it was comprehensively equipped to a level way in excess of the class standard, which to me made it outstanding, and here we go again, VALUE FOR MONEY!

They all do much of a muchness really, but the Yeti does most of it a smidgin better and for less.

The icing on the cake for me has been the retained value as one of the slowest depreciating vehicles on the market.

I had a Tiggywinkle whilst my Yeti was in the bodyshop having it's wing replaced, so perhaps have some experience.

Found the ride and handling not as "planted"

Interior was dark and oppresive.

The electronic handbrake was a total PITA.

Boot was smaller than the Yeti, and not as convenient.

Wasn't as economical even though it was the same 140 engine.

I had a Tiggywinkle whilst my Yeti was in the bodyshop having it's wing replaced, so perhaps have some experience.

Boot was smaller than the Yeti, and not as convenient.

Thats surpises me! Im sure it looked bigger than mine. Agreed on all the other points though. I still maintain though that the upholstery on the Tiguan is better quality - not that there is anyhting wrong with the Yeti leather but the Tiguan leather appeared to be from a better class of cow! :giggle:

The Tiggywinkle boot is fully lined and square, with only two small cupboards, unlike the Yeti with the holes at the ends.

The one I had didn't have leather, and the seat fabric felt the same as the Yeti stuff.

When i originally looked at a Tiggy, I couldn't understand why the VW brochure quoted such big numbers for the boot capacity compared with the Yeti, until i realised that at the time, VW were quoting the available space as boot floor to ceiling (ie parcel shelf/blind removed) whereas Skoda quoted the Yeti as just the area with parcel shelf in place (both with seats in position).

A bit naughty! I've not compared again since but I'm sure I made the right choice with my SM.

Funny how in so many reviews, the Yeti is compared with "compact SUV's" whereas the Tiguan is often one size up in "family SUV's". Crackers!

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Google Haldex 4 vs 5. Some people are of the opinion it is a cost cutting exercise and that 4 is better than 5. I'm not sure myself, but it was discussed on here recently.

Is there anything new under the sun?

Like somebody said recently of talks in church. If you hear a new one it is probably heresy :lol:

My point is, most topics have been discussed before on here :lol:

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

• Like 1