Yeti vs Tiguan

jlwah

Like others, I considered the Tigger. I tried a 6 month old used example from the local dealers.

I felt that I was sitting on the car rather than in it. The most revolting part of the test experience was the fact that the salesman had obviously been sitting in the car puffing away on his fag for hours - sorry to you who still 'do partake' out there. It put me right off!

I also tried the Kia Sportage - lovely to look at, but rode and handled like a galleon in a storm. My partner had to open the window as a 'throw-up' moment was fast approaching.

Now, whereas it would have been fun to drive fast hither and yon round the Pembrokeshire country lanes, with my other half puking out of the window, I think there may be some that think it a bit in bad taste. :giggle:

Nope, for me the Yeti is the one :love:

Edited by MikeWales
  • Like 1

Having owned both a Tiguan and a Yeti I find the Yeti to be so much more agile. Much nicer to drive and for me a better seating position. In 2.5 years I never got the seat right in the Tiguan.

I miss the bigger boot but not much else. Not even 140 horses not 170.

I had the "pleasure" to test electronic hand break in Tiguan...what a stupid idea :@

Thats pretty much THE tipping factor for me when I was looking at them both. Long may Skoda get to keep the 'inferior, old fashioned' manual handbrake.

you don't buy a salesman...

The salesperson needs to sell themselves before you buy a car from them.

Otherwise you will buy from a dealer who sells themself properly.

That is what happened when I bought my car. My local dealer (1 mile away) lost the business because he didn't sell himself. I ended up buying from a dealer 10 miles away.

Luckily there are quite a few round my area. :lol:

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

I guess looks are very individual but I do like the look of the 2013 Tiguan...

I agree. The R-line Tig does look great - for something to never ever take off road on those bits of elastic band around the 50" wheels. But then it is those huge wheels that give it the attitude to begin with.

But all falls down when you get inside and those spider eye vents stare at you. Awful, awful looking things and spoils the whole interior. You also till this day can't get a heated windscreen on a Tiguan as far as I know...

112_0708_12z_2009_volkswagen_tiguan_interior.jpg

One thing I don't like in tiguan exterior is that it is not "angry" like e.g. BMW X3.

I think that is the problem with almost ALL new cars - they all try to look "sporty" and "angry"... Why?!? :swear:

I agree. The R-line Tig does look great - for something to never ever take off road on those bits of elastic band around the 50" wheels. But then it is those huge wheels that give it the attitude to begin with.

But all falls down when you get inside and those spider eye vents stare at you. Awful, awful looking things and spoils the whole interior. You also till this day can't get a heated windscreen on a Tiguan as far as I know...

112_0708_12z_2009_volkswagen_tiguan_interior.jpg

The Tiguan dash is a real let down. It looks ugly and bulky and its straight out of the Golf plus. A car of this calibre deserves a better dash......ok I still bought one

you can adjust it a little bit:

2009-2013-volkswagen-tiguan-wood-dash-kits_cat.jpg

Crumbs you'd have to wear a blindfold when you get in....

JeZ

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

My brother in-law has a SE spec Tiguan. He was quite depressed when he borrowed my Elegance spec Yeti as it was soooo much better to drive and equipped........ (as he is a tight Yorkshireman)

Edited by Deputy

• 1 year later...

I know I'm a bit late adding to this post but here's my thought about the "spider eye vents" mentioned.

I have had my Tig for about two years and hate these vents with a passion...... Why? You may ask..... The answer is truly functional not how they look.

I find it impossible to get these vents to blow below head height. When it's really hot (yes I'm sure you can remember the day last year!) I need a blast of cold air onto my chest as opposed to in my face.

Anyway I'm replacing my Tig 140 DSG with a Yeti 140DSG Elegance Outdoor so that's a problem solved!

My thoughts were to go for the 170 but it's lighter than the Tig, which has ample power with the 140, so I opted for the same engine.

When I had a Golf Plus (an excellent car over 130000 miles) I found that 8 almost infinitely variable vent outlets made it kids play to get air (hot or cold) to virtually anywhere. Maybe not the most appealing interior to look at but one of the most pleasing to use IMHO.

Steve

Just got rid of my Tiguan 177 TDi R Line this afternoon, it was a just a year old.

Not a patch on my previous Yeti .... a big let down.

Collected a Vovo XC60 D5 SE Nav Geartronic ... seriously considered another Yeti 170 but it simply isn't heavy enough for our current caravan.

• Like 2

... seriously considered another Yeti 170 but it simply isn't heavy enough for our current caravan.

A little lateral thinking was needed here, Iain - seriously consider a different caravan :yes: .

• Like 2

A little lateral thinking was needed here, Iain - seriously consider a different caravan :yes: .

That's exactly what I've been telling him for ages now. I suggested he get something small and colourful to match his new VERY blue Volvo:

http://www.altea4four.com/gb-en/2015

Adria-4Four-mit-Karomuster-fotoshowImage

I mean it even has a sort of Scottish tartan...  but you can imagine Iain's answer to that.  (I can't type it here as I'll get banned).

• Like 2

I should be interested to know why you need to change the car, unless it's just because you don't keep cars that long.

I'm planning to keep my Yeti for a while, y'see . . .

Chris

yeah so was I until it hit 4 years old.. take a look at extended warranties :-)

however given the choice I'd prob still go for the Yeti, what's the ground clearance like on a tiguan? I can't believe how much the yeti has gone up in price though..

• Like 1

There are three Tiguans within spitting distance of my house.  Two in steel grey and one newer one in white.  I have been in my friends one and it felt smaller inside and pretty basic and plastic.  Another neighbour has a higher spec with leather but still not as nice a place to be as our Yeti.

I was in a Range Rover Sport (57 plate I think) the other day and it felt a generation older (which it is I guess) but I could not believe how utilitarian it was inside.  Made our CRV look plush.

That's exactly what I've been telling him for ages now. I suggested he get something small and colourful to match his new VERY blue Volvo:

http://www.altea4four.com/gb-en/2015

Adria-4Four-mit-Karomuster-fotoshowImage

I mean it even has a sort of Scottish tartan...  but you can imagine Iain's answer to that.  (I can't type it here as I'll get banned).

Lets just go for .... hush Joan!

• Like 1