Dash Cams

Does anyone have one? I am thinking of getting one as insurance in case I have an accident. Any recommendations? Can I use a power splitter from the cigarete lighter socket so I can run a cam and my TomTom at the same time? Anyadvice welcomed please,

Have been looking for one too. There are some on ePray for around 30 quid. Power should easily be splitable from the cigarette lighter (although I thought that was live all the time), or run a line from one of the redundant fuse sockets in the fusebox.

I've been looking for a camera with a 2nd input, with the idea of wiriing one of the reverse cameras to it (full-time), as you're not always hit from the front. ;)

£30 jobs are one of those you get what you pay for things I have been running on board cams permanently at all times in my own car for last 3 or 4 years. At moment I am using the DoD GS600 which is small compact does full HD 1080p at 30fps and has full GPS data logging (can be switched off). I do recommend it and there are newer ones out now but its price is competitive and its reputation is well established now. Ebay search dod gs600.

A word of warning on the cheap ones knocking about and I have experienced this china korea where ever its come from with no proper QC testing and has battery inside it you risk explosion or fire especially in summer sun. My first one was at the time one of cheaper ones £49 and did a great job for what it was for guts of a year then decided to set itself on fire one day randomly!

look at some ignorant impatient sod pushing a biker out of way

Have been looking for one too. There are some on ePray for around 30 quid. Power should easily be splitable from the cigarette lighter (although I thought that was live all the time), or run a line from one of the redundant fuse sockets in the fusebox.

I've been looking for a camera with a 2nd input, with the idea of wiriing one of the reverse cameras to it (full-time), as you're not always hit from the front. ;)

If you get hit from behind in UK its not your fault anyway :whew: you can get single units with a lens front and back that record both at once you can position on either front or rear windscreen and have one going threw car but it all depends on how much you spend.

Hoging the fast lane he was...

"the fast lane" lol not called that in any developed part of the world tbh lol. He wasn't hogging anything start of video he is overtaking a car in lane 1 and as he passes it, it then exits onto slip road by which time the ignorant scum is already pushing by him bike was doing 85mph ish very poor driving by cage driver police would have dry bummed him if they saw that!

• Like 1

Noun

irony (usually uncountable; plural ironies)

A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean something different from, or the opposite of what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention, notably as a form of humor.

Dramatic irony: a theatrical effect in which the meaning of a situation, or some incongruity in the plot, is understood by the audience, but not by the characters in the play.

Ignorance feigned for the purpose of confounding or provoking an antagonist; Socratic irony.

(informal, sometimes proscribed)[1][2] Contradiction between circumstances and expectations; condition contrary to what might be expected, particularly in a humorous or poignant way.[from the 1640s]

And whilst I'm still bothered:

Noun

fast lane (plural fast lanes)

On a multilane road, the lane intended or reserved for vehicles moving at faster speeds.

(figuratively, by extension) Any situation or activity where the pace is very rapid.

http://en.wiktionary.../wiki/fast_lane

• Like 1

I run this one... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-NIGHT-VISION-VIDEO-CAMERA-RECORDER-CCTV-DVR-TFT-2-5-LCD-ROAD-ACCIDENT-/220993244334?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3374394cae#ht_4519wt_1110

£23 delivered. I don't see the point in having a fancy £300 one with GPS etc, As long as it captures what's happening then im happy. Insurance won't care about GPS if it shows someone hitting you at fault. The video is clear too and you get a flip down screen.

Turns on and off when plugged in.

If you are worried about the battery exploding like mentioned above then simply take the battery about and just run it via the cable.

I run this one... http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_4519wt_1110

£23 delivered. I don't see the point in having a fancy £300 one with GPS etc, As long as it captures what's happening then im happy. Insurance won't care about GPS if it shows someone hitting you at fault. The video is clear too and you get a flip down screen.

Turns on and off when plugged in.

If you are worried about the battery exploding like mentioned above then simply take the battery about and just run it via the cable.

Mine is full hd gps etc and £100 not £300. Ability to read numberplate is the handy bit handy. Your link above is same camera that went on fire with me :D lol google the issue plenty of people experience the cheapo ones battery popping etc ( they use a nokia type mobile battery and the counterfeit 99p ebay versions of this battery) direct sun light normally but mine went in winter! A lot of newer adverts even advertise with key points of cameras the safety features used on them to prevent battery explosions! My one is handy as its very small and is very discrete. The loop on top quality has a gap between each segment of a couple of seconds etc and thats something that would be tragic to happen at wrong time and mess it up. Anything you record will unlikely be able to be used as admissible evidence in normal matters but will heavily make other party crap themselves and not lie threw their teeth about what happened.

Noun

irony (usually uncountable; plural ironies)

A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean something different from, or the opposite of what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention, notably as a form of humor.

Dramatic irony: a theatrical effect in which the meaning of a situation, or some incongruity in the plot, is understood by the audience, but not by the characters in the play.

Ignorance feigned for the purpose of confounding or provoking an antagonist; Socratic irony.

(informal, sometimes proscribed)[1][2] Contradiction between circumstances and expectations; condition contrary to what might be expected, particularly in a humorous or poignant way.[from the 1640s]

lol sorry dude wasn't meant to sound so ignorant just read it back oops. But its still not called "the fast lane" not taken out of context was just a fact and he was not "hogging" any lane if you watch video.

Id say wiki is not the strongest place to go for info RSA is the law! http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

Mine is full hd gps etc and £100 not £300. Ability to read numberplate is the handy bit handy. Your link above is same camera that went on fire with me :D lol google the issue plenty of people experience the cheapo ones battery popping etc ( they use a nokia type mobile battery and the counterfeit 99p ebay versions of this battery) direct sun light normally but mine went in winter! A lot of newer adverts even advertise with key points of cameras the safety features used on them to prevent battery explosions! My one is handy as its very small and is very discrete. The loop on top quality has a gap between each segment of a couple of seconds etc and thats something that would be tragic to happen at wrong time and mess it up. Anything you record will unlikely be able to be used as admissible evidence in normal matters but will heavily make other party crap themselves and not lie threw their teeth about what happened.

I don't have the battery in mine so that's not a problem. None of these cameras are court room quality trust me (Even yours) I have been to court on many occasions and seen HD TV Footage thrown out, but I have never known a claim to reach the court room. For £20, you can't go wrong.

I don't have the battery in mine so that's not a problem. None of these cameras are court room quality trust me (Even yours) I have been to court on many occasions and seen HD TV Footage thrown out, but I have never known a claim to reach the court room. For £20, you can't go wrong.

Mine mine smokes without battery in too when opened it had cooked itself smoke was insulation off some wires lil board was fragged too. Nothing to do with court as I said above. The quality of mine is better than the uploaded vid above it looses a bit being cropped/converted then uploaded. Point being say a oncoming car takes off your wing mirror over the centre line last second (its someone on mobile for example) being able to pause and see their reg/face will be of some help as without their reg you will only be able to claim off your own policy.

Mine mine smokes without battery in too when opened it had cooked itself smoke was insulation off some wires lil board was fragged too. Nothing to do with court as I said above. The quality of mine is better than the uploaded vid above it looses a bit being cropped/converted then uploaded. Point being say a oncoming car takes off your wing mirror over the centre line last second (its someone on mobile for example) being able to pause and see their reg/face will be of some help as without their reg you will only be able to claim off your own policy.

If that happened I would turn the vehicle round and follow them getting their index, then go via the DVLA to get their details and ask for money of will take them through a small claims court ;)

If that happened I would turn the vehicle round and follow them getting their index, then go via the DVLA to get their details and ask for money of will take them through a small claims court ;)

What if no where immediately available to turn (road narrow heavy traffic etc) or you do turn and he has not been stupid enough to stay on same road and made a random turn or 3 lol.

£75 you know it makes sense like mine measures G-Force on 3 different axis too and will make you breakfast!

£75 from where? I can only find those for £160 ish

I swear I added link but its not there lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promotion-1-5-Car-DVR-vehicle-H-264-HDMI-GS1000-Full-HD-1080P-Vehicle-Camera-/220993129871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3374378d8f#ht_5266wt_1272

not my one hance I said "like mine measures G-Force on 3 different axis too"

Installed this one today. Didnt fancy cluttering up the windscreen so velcroed it to the bottom of the dash instead of using the suction mount. You can see the video quality in the ebay ad. Very impressed for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SmartCam-HD-Car-DVR-720P-Dashcam-Driving-Recorder-HDMI-2-0-LCD-UK-SELLER/200745123135?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=010&category=174121&cmd=ViewItem

cam.jpg

lol sorry dude wasn't meant to sound so ignorant just read it back oops. But its still not called "the fast lane" not taken out of context was just a fact and he was not "hogging" any lane if you watch video.

Id say wiki is not the strongest place to go for info RSA is the law! http://www.rulesofth...e-motorway.html

He might not have been hoging, but he could have been riding a Hog!

Installed this one today. Didnt fancy cluttering up the windscreen so velcroed it to the bottom of the dash instead of using the suction mount. You can see the video quality in the ebay ad. Very impressed for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.u...21&cmd=ViewItem

Richie, is this / can it be ignition controlled? (apparently it is) What's the night recording like?

Cheers

Edited by RainbowFore

http://www.ebay.co.u...21&cmd=ViewItem

cam.jpg

does lens rotate up and down on that one or does it record the sky :giggle: I had a similar shaped one with the fold down screen still have it somewhere didn't clutter up at all unless screen was down (which it had no point in being) the current one sits behind rear view mirror cant even see it from outside unless your looking for it. Which is handy as I do not remove it when leaving car unattended but there again I have set it to keep recording unless I kill it.

http://www.google.co...AnSPzw5G6Y9SY6A

You need to consider how good these cams are at low light or night driving,i assume you don't just drive during the day,i run one of these but probably more than you're willing to pay.

I really like the BlackVue always seen it as the best available car cam. My only worry was if I wanted to remove it and use in another vehicle how is it fixed to windscreen, looks like its a self adhesive thing?

• Like 1