Dash Cams

Any Video Converter for me, its free very easy and almost instant on my slow old laptop, saves in and works with any format. 

• Like 2

There are G1W counterfeits all over Ebay best to look for a good source, but even the cheapest suspect ones are still only £13 cheaper than a Mobius costs. Hardly significantly cheaper, when compared to the likes of paying another £200 for a Blackvue etc.

Out of interest where are you guys mounting your phones to get a good view as a dash cam? I for some reason have images of them right in centre of screen etc. Do folk go for top middle or low etc, any pics of phone in place?

An Amazon sourced delivered Prime ie within a couple of days is around £35. The mobius from same source us £70. That's before you've added a mount for the mobius. I know you can get it cheaper from eBay but from overseas. Do your diligence and you'd probably find the G1W similarly genuine and similarly discounted.

I just don't want to use up both USB power sources on one phone with satnav and the other dashcam. I know you can hardwire in a mobius etc but I don't want to. I need to be able to charge two phones (the other phone is my work mobile) in the car hence the attraction of using the satnav phone as dashcam.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

An Amazon sourced delivered Prime ie within a couple of days is around £35. The mobius from same source us £70. That's before you've added a mount for the mobius. I know you can get it cheaper from eBay but from overseas. Do your diligence and you'd probably find the G1W similarly genuine and similarly discounted.

I just don't want to use up both USB power sources on one phone with satnav and the other dashcam. I know you can hardwire in a mobius etc but I don't want to. I need to be able to charge two phones (the other phone is my work mobile) in the car hence the attraction of using the satnav phone as dashcam.

if you want to hard wire it why don't you get an extra aux socket off ebay that also has a usb port. You can then pigy back it off a switched live in the fuse box next to the drivers door and put the socket in the small box by the steering wheel. Although my blackvue uses the 12v supply on the aux socket rather than the usb port the principle's the same. I followed the original 'Fubar' guide before the mobius etc. was known on the forum. Simples

something lime this. Chop the plug off and get a piggy back fuse and jobs a good 'un.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-Tirol-4-Way-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-USB-2-0-150W-/111298578702?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e9e9890e

Ebay has cheapest and original source for Mobius mounts are between £1 and £2.50 delivered. When I got my first one I had it delivered to me in Holland via the UK from China (where all these cameras are made) in 3 days for first one 5 for second. 

Mobius £40.97 delivered. The same source most of us on here have used and the dogs danglies for service (note 13500 odd sold), they even send a free gift with each order. Seller was the original link and trusted source given by the tech review bloke on youtube 'techmoan'. Fulfilled by amazon doesn't mean anything, even supplied direct from amazon have seen in recent years things like counterfeit memory cards, so don't take anything as gospel unless you know for sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Yeah I agree that fulfilled by Amazon probably won't guarantee authenticity. They offer a warehousing and distribution service to all and sundry from what I gather. Was looking at using them for an idea I had previously. And no - that idea wasn't selling fake cameras. Although now I think about it...

Yeah I agree that fulfilled by Amazon probably won't guarantee authenticity. They offer a warehousing and distribution service to all and sundry from what I gather. Was looking at using them for an idea I had previously. And no - that idea wasn't selling fake cameras. Although now I think about it...

I doubt Amazon would be too please about counterfeit goods being stored in their warehouses. Well that was my thinking anyway.

I doubt Amazon would be too please about counterfeit goods being stored in their warehouses. Well that was my thinking anyway.

If they are, they're not on offer for long. EBay is really quick to close down counterfeiters, supported by teams from the original brands to spot them.

I can report that the original manufacturered Samsung window suction mount holds it extremely solidly, so there is no visible camera shake using my phone. That and selecting the right check box on the video settings for Samsung optimisation mean the fov issue us also resolved. It's also set up so that it stay recording instantly when the charger is connected in landscape orientation only, and switches off after its disconnected. Auto start doesn't kick in when connecting the charger in portrait mode. Using it with car home ultra app means it's all pretty simple to use and cost a grand total of £25

• Like 1

Reet! the G1W arrived today. Seems legit.

I got a blue one, for no reason other than the blue was fulfilled by Amazon the black wasn't.

Looks just like the pictures otherwise.

Manual is in finest Chinglish with Russian alternative.

It's about the size of a small remote control 12cm by 4cm. Feels sturdier than I expected.

Mount has a little ball joint, tightening knuckle and suction cup. Connection between the two is as per Techmoan a little fragile looking.

All together it's a bit bigger than I expected and doesn't fit behind the mirror which is what I'd hoped, but it is easy to point the right way. I'm sure within 5min SWMBO will moan about it or she'll knock it off with the sun-blind.

12v cable is long enough but not excessive. you couldn't run it from the back windows. Plenty for the front.

Easy to hide the cables in the Octy. Pokes in behind the trim just with fingers. I've run it up to the roof across to the passenger side, down the A pillar, round the side of the dash and under the dash on the passenger side. Reaching the centre console it gets tricky so I took the French option and just hit it under the mat and tool it up the side of the jumbobox from under the seat.

Playing around with it the picture looks ok. Was clear enough on the screen in twilight.

Can't figure out how to get it to record with the screen off. Have an idea but about to Google now. Chinglish isn't helping there.

Autostart, auto off works out the box. As did the class 6 32Gb card.

Edited by Aspman

Guessed how to do it. All working as it should now. Needed to set the 'screensaver' which is actually the screen off timer.

It's surprising good. Very clear image during the day (not tried at night).

The motion sensor worked as well switching the camera on for 5min. Would be good if you could set a different time period for that.

To note the Mini 0801 in the test reel above has a newer version just released the Mini 0803 which goes higher than 1080p (1296p or something I only glanced at it) Around £70-£80 with GPS mount delivered online. Also worth a look on the higher priced cameras is the A7 GS6000.   

Bought the 0803 today.

Looking forward to setting it up.

• Like 1

Bought the 0803 today.

Looking forward to setting it up.

How ever did you decide to give that one a try?  :nerd:

I will give you one guess 

handyou.gif

It is the one I would love to go for next. Did you download the raw comparison footage of the 0803 vs 0801? 

• Like 1

20140526_122401_zpsleawkhvg.jpg

20140526_123913_zpsubuulfxq.jpg

20140526_163251_zpswqfxzfid.jpg

That's about as far as the 500 will go, though the 380 is slightly smaller so would fit slightly higher. Here's another few photos showing it from inside too. The restiction is the space between the screen and the mirror stem as shown in the side view. I've also attached one from the drivers seat showing how much the mirror hides the blackvue. How the modius fits by comparison I don't know, but Fubar has had both so he would know.

but Fubar has had both so he would know.

FUBAR has indeed among many others :(

All cars are different in how the cameras will fit and within specific models  the type of rear view mirror will also affect fitment. I always installed mine so that the rear view mirror could still be adjusted fully, I could have achieved a tighter fit in all cases but didn't want to disturb this function. Also I seek specific to the camera that I can easily without having to move anything access the memory card for easy removal and insertion. 

In this pic if you click on it to enlarge you can see the mount for mobius (minus DR500GW No.1 awaiting replacement)  and my DoD GS600 recommissioned in the mean time.  Looks almost identical in it's location to yours littleade.

VRS%2520Easter%25202013%25201.jpg

The Mobius Being as it is  mounted long ways with cable then coming out the back is different of course but still a much smaller unit overall with more options for positioning when mounted.  

This is of course on the ZT but shows how different another car can be (looking for the octy pics) Octavia had a shallower angle behind mirror to windscreen so wan't positioned with lens dead centre as it is in these pics. To put it on dead centre in Octy would have meant camera showing well below rear view mirror, not happening in my cars.

Front%25202.jpg

Front%25201.jpg

Front%2520Cam%25202.jpg

Front%2520Cam%25201.jpg

Driver%2520View.jpg

Found Octy one for comparison, different car different angles to work with. If you use a 90 degree angled USB cable, would be much better!  

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Could that be moved above the mirror or is it too big?

Depends on camera and if you rally want to see it all the time etc. Mobius as an example as with most cameras now you can change the orientation in it's settings so camera can be mounted either way up which might help in achieving this. The shaded area around most mirrors or plastic surrounds above leave very little space to get a clear line of sight and with most being wide angle lensed you'd catch some of it at last. Other than that would be looking at mounting to either side, passenger or driver, in both cases would interferer with the operation of pull down sun visors and or forward vision of driver. 

• Like 1

I want one small enough to fit behind the mirror so its tucked out of the way. Also so it doesnt look obvious from outside for someone to break in for it.

I want one small enough to fit behind the mirror so its tucked out of the way. Also so it doesnt look obvious from outside for someone to break in for it.

Suction mount and taking off each time is possibly the best way if you believe there is a real risk in whatever area of someone breaking in for it. Back in the good old days of my Mk1 Fabia vRS I had one of the earlier day type cameras in it permanently,  it was a 2 year old vRS and it spent much of it's time on the mean streets of Scunny, Grimsby and even in Lincoln!!!! :o  no one ever touched it. Self adhesive mounts are much better and cameras generally can be removed front mounts but the mount will always be there.  

In case of the Mobius being all matt black and fairly small (box of tic tacs size) with no logos or anything on it, you'd need to be standing over the windscreen looking for them to notice.

In my logic, if I was a dash cam thief, I'd prob know which cameras are best to go for and what I'd get selling  them on, an expensive GoPro or a BlackVue would be top of my list and risking prison for a £40 Mobius which I could sell on for a fiver hot, sod that! 

• Like 2