Hill Hold Assist/Control.

Afternoon folks.

Quick question for anyone who has Hill Hold Assist/Control in an FL Octavia. Can you tell me are you required to press a button for it. Or does it just auto activate?

I appreciate this feature is on other models bit I need to know specifically for an FL Octavia.

Fankoo - 10/4 Rubber Duck :)

On mine (Prefl Scout) it activates automatically via a level switch of some description, so it only operates when car is staionary with foot brake on when I think the car is more than 15 degrees (I could be wrong with the angle) from level facing up hill.

Works in reverse too if you are trying to reverse up a steep hill.

Problem I have is it doesn't release quick enough.

On mine (Prefl Scout) it activates automatically via a level switch of some description, so it only operates when car is staionary with foot brake on when I think the car is more than 15 degrees (I could be wrong with the angle) from level facing up hill.

Works in reverse too if you are trying to reverse up a steep hill.

Problem I have is it doesn't release quick enough.

I have the opposite problem, mine releases just too quick allowing a brief rollback. My Fab VRS Fab DSG was perfect in this respect. Is it software adjustable on the Octy?

I think it's 5 degrees. Thought this was a gimmick at first but its easy to get used to it especially when you drive another car thats not got it !!!

i have a 61 plate octy L & K and the hill hold is automatic when you stop on a hill, i have no idea of the angle required, it just works, and very well it does it too. My problem is that i expect it to be there if i drive the wife's polo.... and it isn't :-)

Ray

I wouldn't have thought it would be activated through simply coding the ECU? The sensor used to detect the angle wouldn't be fitted to cars without the feature?

My 2008 pre-FL Octavia Scout has it and I think its great.

Sure I can replicate the effect myself with the handbrake but hill hold is so effortless, effective and a very neat little feature which is missed when I jump in the vRS.

The reason I asked is because I think it could possibly be enabled in a FL vRS with DSG using VCDS. But I needed to check there wasn't a button needed to activate it first. I haven't idea about other cars but I would imagine you would need it installed from the factory. The FL vRS has the top level ABS/ESP modules which is what the HHA/C uses so hopefully it's just a case of switching it on and doing a bit of adaptation.

If it does work I shall post up a how to.

• Like 1

definately engages automatically - no need to press any buttons.

wat model year is ur vrs?

i know the hill-hold assist feature was made standard on the vrs from MY11 onwards.

I know the hill-hold assist feature was made standard on the vrs from MY11 onwards.

I didn't realise it was standard on the vRS, or is this just on the ANZ spec cars?

I didn't realise it was standard on the vRS, or is this just on the ANZ spec cars?

Not on UK vRS AFAIK, although never actually tried releasing footbrake on a hill without using handbrake!

I have tried to activate on my FL model, but no luck. Got couple errors on ABS.

I think is because I don´t have inclination sensor. An option as the alarm is standart.

To activate is ABS module

Then is on the same BYTE to activate XDS, not sure about the BITE, but do think is ticking box 1(can´t remember at the moment)

definately engages automatically - no need to press any buttons.

wat model year is ur vrs?

i know the hill-hold assist feature was made standard on the vrs from MY11 onwards.

Not on UK vRS it isn't.

From looking in VCDS I can enable it and it allows me to alter the point at which it engages etc (normal, low revs or high revs with slipping clutch are the 3 options). However I get an ESP fault due to the longitudinal acceleration sensor not having had the correct basic settings done.

I think I have got the way to do the basic setting now so I will have a look at it in the next few days and report back.

I have the DSG SE 1.2 fitted with traction control/hill start assist etc only it doesnt seem to work for me. No matter what type of hill, it rolls back and its a question of holding on the brakes etc. Drive a large Ford auto for work and that works fine, tbh its a far better gearbox than the DSG , now have I missed something here or do I need to get the sensors etc checked out??..thanks

Well after messing about for about 15 mins it turns out that the vRS doesn't have the Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor installed which is required for HHA/C to work.

Was worth a try.

• 3 years later...

I believe there are extra hardware/modules to have hill hold on pre fl. I only know because my hill hold developed a fault which the dealer had to change out a couple of modules and in the end the unit under the drivers seat was changed (again) for a superseded one

Is there anyway to disable Uphill Start Assist (Hill Hold Control)?

Thank you.

It's probably just a bit or two in the ABS pumps coding, depending exactly what you have. Do you have an autoscan from VCDS?