Hill start assist

Thank you for that..

Today i will drive 3 automatics.

A Suzuki Jimny & then a Kia Picanto, I will bring home my vRS.

Yesterday i drove 3 automatics, vRS, a VW Transporter towing (diesel with DSG) and a Citroen Saxo desire.

Only one of these vehicles require special attention when using the gears (the petrol one with the DSG)

& the Kia Picanto 1.1 LX has the best gearbox & response away from junctions.

I love the vRS in everyway apart from the indicator stalk on the left hand side and the HHC.

It is a PITA IMO

george

Edited by sk4gw

George, does this then not suggest a problem with your DSG box in the VRS?

The consensus seems to be that a lot work flawlessly but some do not.

My fab DSG box was flawless but my Octy with the same dsg7 box is difficult. The dealer is getting a chance to sort it.

That could have been the thing,

I knew how it works and feels before buying into it.

(didnt stop me, even though i disliked the way it is)

i drove 2 other vRS before buying this one, (this was the best of the 3),

& a A1 demonstrator with less BHP which was fine,

& a Seat Cupra which was terrible.

I have owned a Transporter with DSG for a year, but then it is a different matter.

If people like their vRS and HHC, thats fine, the OP & thread was about someone and others that dont.

Down to Personal Preferences really.

george

I had trouble getting used to hill start assist.

Some helpful guys sorted out my problems on this forum.

Just trust the system; take your foot off the brake, no handbrake, wait a few seconds for hill start to sort itself out (2 secs max) and apply a little throttle and away she goes.

You may find she will roll for a couple of inches forwards or backwards, before hill start sorts itself out and that is what was throwing me.

On a shallow slope she may start to creep, so you can then take over with throttle.

I was having trouble with reverse hill starts, but the same applies, just trust the system.

I found a slope away from traffic and practised.

Tony :happy:

Jesus, there's starving people in the UK and this debate about hill hold bull is still running. FFS just do it your own way. There's no law on how it's meant to be done.

Jesus, there's starving people in the UK and this debate about hill hold bull is still running. FFS just do it your own way. There's no law on how it's meant to be done.

So go click on threads about starving people if threads on Hill Hold Control wind you up.

'jonny boy Geldof'

has not quite grasped that the Skoda Fabia section is not the 'feed the world' section.

'Idea',

Like when you dont want to read about MPG & fuel ranges, maybe dont click onto the Post Title.

Because it might be loads of posts about Miles Per Gallon.

Jesus feed people with fishes and loaves, even turned water into wine,

i bet he would have had something to say about HHC, & the 'magic' of it.

Somebody went up and had to come down with the Tablet of Stone, i bet he never rolled back a bit before getting forward motion..

george

I'm getting wound up just reading this...

The DSG ISN'T a full auto box so you don't have one-way clutches and a 2.something multiplication of torque from idle. It's a very clever robotised manual box that behaves very much like an Auto. If you want to drive a flawed one, try an early (single clutch) Smart (wifey has a Smart Roadster).

HHC is an alternative to the conventional holding ability of an Autobox. Yes, it does need a certain amount of brake pedal force to activate so I do sometime give the pedal a little extra push at standstill to activate it on slight inclines (which is when you can catch it out).

IMHO, the DSG7 is a major improvement on the DSG6 although only tried one on TDI engines (A3 and Golf); changing down gears takes longer, then the turbo licks in and you end up in the boot of the car in front, rather than matching its speed as you were intending to do...

DSG is a little of a "marmite" thing...some love it (me included), some hate it - if used to conventional Autos (like me), then its not the same so you have to adjust your driving style accordingly. Simples...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, If you wish to replicate the way you would normally use handbrake on a car without Hill assist, then do the following.

- While standing keep the brake pedal pressed firmly to ensure that dsg disconnects everything

- When starting, just release the brake pedal and wait (0.5-1 seconds) until the car starts to feel as it will roll down, start pressing on the accelerator, the hill holder will release automatically as if you would be releasing hand brake.

• Like 1

VicRS does mostly the same as me, although there is no need to wait to hit the throttle, as the car will release the brakes as soon as you do.

However there is so much mis-information in this thread its unbelievable.

-Since when does sitting in traffic with your foot on the brake blind anyone?

-Why would anyone drive an automatic/DSG using both feet?

-Putting the car in Neutral in traffic is not needed, the clutches in the DSG box release as soon as you press down hard enough on the brake pedal (try it, you can actually feel the clutch disengage as you put more pressure on the brakes) keep your foot on the brake and they stay disengaged.

-Creeping forward is a trait of the old torque converter autos, its ONLY on DSG cars as *most* longtime auto drivers prefer that to rolling back, its easier to control at low speed with one foot on the brake..

The Hill hold control works perfectly on my VRS, happy to give people lessons :)

David

• Like 2

If you wish to crawl in traffic where DSG gives some challenge shifting 1-2-1-2-1-2. You can do the following.

If you have shift paddles: just when the car starts to go in D when the speed is 5-7 km/h just press the "-" paddle, DSG will shift into manual 1 at this point and you can crawl as long as you wish, you can continue by shifting with paddles if traffic gets lighter or hold "+" paddle it will return DSG mode to D. Thats good for traffic when you only need to cover a short distance slowly.

Eventually DSG will return into D mode automatically, but the time before it does this is unpredictable.

If you don't have paddles, then I guess you can just move the shift lever to manual once the car starts to go and replicate the above, but return to D mode will also be manual.

There is a definite need in setting up DSG school I guess ))

Edited by VicRS

some of the advice is good, but believe me, there shouldn't have to be education! remember I use my DSG vRS as a driving school car, and NOT ONE of my pupils has ever had a problem, and none of them have had to be taught ANY differently to accomade the DSG box, no issues slow reversing up hills round corners, no roundabout issues, no taking off gently issue, no hill assist issues,none at all, with any pupil...... and that includes pupils who drive in their own "slush box" autos when they are not in lessons!

so the only conclusion I can see is my car works completley differently to all the people having problems!

IMHO, the DSG7 is a major improvement on the DSG6 although only tried one on TDI engines (A3 and Golf); changing down gears takes longer, then the turbo licks in and you end up in the boot of the car in front, rather than matching its speed as you were intending to do...

I have one of each.

The DSG7 is crisper when changing down but this is also a disadvantage when moving slowly as the box can be a little jerky at times. The DSG6 has much taller 1st and 2nd gears and the wet clutches are allowed to slip in both of these ratios for smoother pull aways or when moving in slow speed traffic, it's a bit more like a torque convertor auto. In rolling traffic in D the DSG6 will sit in 2nd and slip rather than changing down to 1st.

Both my DSG's can be caught out at a roundabout if put your foot down quickly while cruising up to the junction, I dont think there is a massive difference in change times but the big diesel will try and laydown 258lbft in a low gear so the effect is more dramatic. I soon learnt to either adapt my driving style or drop them in manual mode in such situations.

Can't compare HHC between both cars as my DSG6 car has full auto hold which means you just stop as normal with the foot brake, take your foot off the brake pedal and the car will just sit there in D on any incline for ever until you press the throttle then it pulls away smoothly.

Cheers

Lee

Totally agree, Lee - the DSG7 can't cope with crawling traffic too well unless dropping into manual mode (then its not too bad). Didn't do any slow speed crawling with the DSG6 cars, so can't comment although the taller 1st (and wet clutches) would help!

"Kickdown" is about the only time you can catch the DSG box out, and suddenly having to change down maybe 3 gears adds that annoying time delay - whereas for conventional autos its still one change (over a few bands, normally) so is much quicker. I find dropping it into S mode can make things better at the roundabout, although manual mode is better still. Only exception is in the DSG7 - you're almost stopped and when the auto mode would have it holding onto 2nd gear (then slipping the clutch), in manual it'll drop down into 1st on its own a bit quicker - at which point you're propelled over the island a bit quicker than you thought when hitting the loud pedal...

Hill Hold - Working as intended :thumbup:

DSG7 - always annoying in rolling traffic, find if not in manual it switches from 1st - 2nd as you say quite a bit.