12V Socket not working

My 12V socket will no longer charge my iPhone :/

I have tried replacing the adapter (x3) but still no charging of said phone :/

Could the fuse have blown even though the led is illuminated in the original adapter?

EM

Damo,

Check the relevant fuse by just borrowing another one of the same amperage from another slot which won't matter being disabled temporarily.

I'd say if the light still comes on though you're 12v socket is fine and most likely a charger / iPhone issue. The 12v socket only has 12v going in, if it was defective then nothing would light up as there would be no voltage.

Have you a satnav etc to try in it?

iPhones are picky for charging. Make sure it's one that is rated for 1amp I believe as that charges the phone at a similiar rate to a wall socket. Some just act as a trickle charger.

Like this: in fac t I think this is the one I have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Mini-USB-car-charger-high-powered-1A-ipad-iphone-/220829479792

^^ the chargers was working but has now stopped :/ I've replaced the charger and it doesn't work so my thinking is its the actual socket...

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere mate, definately not a fuse if it's intermittent - it would either work or wouldn't.

Loose connection will most likely be underneath the socket itself where it is connected up, possibly a soldered connection or maybe even a crimp style, but I doubt it.

Would mean removing trim, probably best left to the dealers.

An ideal way to test the socket would be with a multimeter if you can get hold of one. If my memory serves me right, centre pin is positive and the outer metal is negative on the plug. This will matter if you test it as it is a DC connection, as the multimeter will most likely not register a -DC voltage.

• Like 1

This will matter if you test it as it is a DC connection, as the multimeter will most likely not register a -DC voltage.

An analogue one won't, but i've not seen a digital one for about 25 years that can't cope with a reverse DC voltage...