TDI cambelt change intervals

Sorry if this has been covered before, but today I have had my cambelt and water pump replaced, on collection the dealer said the next belt would be due in 4 years time or in another 75'000 miles and all parts fitted carried a 2 year warranty.

Is this now the norm ?

Forgot to add this is a 1.9tdi 2001 ALH engine octavia

Edited by kblackburn

Spinna,

Thanks for the reply,just wanted to check that this was infact the case, after reading several threads on cambelt intervals.

However, this gets even better, started the car to go off to work this morning, started reluctantly, smoked like a 2 stroke and ran crap for a few seconds, in the six years I've owned the car it's never done this before.

I changed the last cambelt myself (toyota reg tech) but have just recently donated a kidney and can not bend over the bonnet for two long, so opted to have it changed by the skoda dealer.

Got home tonight and put the laptop on the car with vag com, pump timimng too retarded to display on graph, well that was money well spent then, so it will be a phone call to them in the morning to have it sorted.

Anyone else had problems with dealer workmanship ?

can the pump timing be checked using vag com lite? (the free one) ive just changed my belt and although its running great, i wouldnt mind checking my pump timing.. i only have vcds lite.. will this do? or do i need an upgrade or something?

can the pump timing be checked using vag com lite? (the free one) ive just changed my belt and although its running great, i wouldnt mind checking my pump timing.. i only have vcds lite.. will this do? or do i need an upgrade or something?

You need to register your version of vcds lite to be able to check the timing.

apart from timing checks, is there much more you can do with the registered version? $99 seems pricey just to check it the once..

Look on the ross tech website, it has a full list of what you can and can't do with versions of the software