Removing front bumper

Wilko251088

Ok so as I was taking the front bumper off today to remove a headlight and fix a broken bracket, I got a few shots and have compiled a "how to" guide.

1. I found a thread with the following instructions so I referred to this as I went along. Ok, so bonnet up and undo the 2 x torx screws on the top of the grille just either side of the bonnet catch also there is some small split pins, below is a picture showing the aprox locations of the pins and the screws. The pins are easy to remove just pull the centre pin out and pop the clip out of the trim.

(Picture is just for location reference, the bumper does not just come off with those pins and screws.)

ccf1235f.jpg

2 . Whilst you are there there is 2 x torx screws in the gap either side of the first two holding in place a corner of each headlight (I used a extendable magnet to carefully raise these up and out.)

3. I jacked up the side of the car I was working on and undid all the torx screws holding on the wheel arch inner plastic. See below

1b45875e.jpg

I referred to the diagram below for the locations of all these torx but they are mainly found around the inner edge. See picture for reference

04793421.jpg

There are some at the back by the suspension that are quite awkward to reach but if you jacked up it shouldn't be a problem.

4. I got under the car and undid all the torx screws that connect the wheel arch lining to the front bumper, also the engine plastic skid tray.

60c92180.jpg

519367a7.jpg

8f8ab1aa.jpg

As you can see the plastic from your wheel arch lining just slides onto your front bumper and is secured in place with a torx screw. There are some pins that look like they should be removed but I didn't bother with them, I only undid all the torx. Shown below are the pins and some of the torx required to be removed ( as I said I just undid all the torx, left the pins and removed the skid tray)

9c8a992f.jpg

Showing how arch lining attached to bumper

d156598b.jpg

Can be quite awkward but just slides on

642a2e4c.jpg

5. I then removed the drls, these are held in with 3 x torx screws for each light.

cefb9d95.jpg

They disconnect easily once they are removed from the bumper fixings with a clip connection for the power supply.

6. There are two sections in your honeycomb plastic lower grill that pop out to reveal two more torx screws.

6c69b7b3.jpg

7. I went back under the car to remove all the torx screws from the front edge of the bumper using the picture below as a guide.

2a25864e.jpg

Here are the front torx

ff41b719.jpg

8. Referring to the picture I made sure I had removed all the screws needed but left four till last. These four are the ones that hold the bumper to your front quarter panels. This is why the car was jacked up high and had the wheel arch lining dropped down on to the trye. This gives you enough room to get a ratchet spanner in with a torx head adapter in to undo these four screws (2 x either side).

Here's a shot showing the lining dropped out and the bumper removed, showing the gap I put my hand in to get to the two troublesome bolts

73414ecf.jpg

Annotated to show appeox position of screws and where I found access to them.

e2172df3.jpg

Bumper attachment shot.

1b8dc2f1.jpg

This all mates up when attached and screwed together.

9. Carefully then with the help from my friend we got hold of the bumper in the honeycomb grille and gently slid and pulled the bumper off it's holding brackets. Then lowered it down onto a soft surface to prevent any scratching to paintwork.

3889aa45.jpg

When I got stuck I just referred to picture guide that I included above, and when pricing it back to get her I just did all the above in a reverse manner.

Hope this helps Anyone looking to do this.

**This is purely for guidance only, attempt it at your own risk**

Mike

Edited by Wilko251088
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I'd like to change the dip bulbs in my headlights. Haven't plucked up the courage to do this yet.

Could you say at which stage it might be possible to move the headlights enough to change the bulbs please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I would like to remove my grill of my fabia 2 and fix the VRS badge(The screw type one which i got from superskoda) so can you suggest me/ show how i can remove the grill, i tried removing 2 screws from the grill and found that it had few more screws like 's rivette. please help me i am lost and skoda service centers over here charge a lot.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

hey

whats the best way of removing the DRL covers !?

as im tinting my DRLS lols

cheers

Ryan

There is a little hole in the plastic, stick a finger in it and pull!

Brimma : I can't believe that you have to remove the headlights at all ;).

• 1 month later...

There is a little hole in the plastic, stick a finger in it and pull!

Brimma : I can't believe that you have to remove the headlights at all ;).

It helps if contemplating changing from the clear to the black  ;)

• 4 months later...

Possibly a strange question, but has anyone changed their front bumper for a monte carlo style one i.e. so that you get front fog lights as well as daytime running lights?  I have no idea if this is possible but just a thought really.  I think the monte carlo's look quite nice at the front and it's a shame the VRS just has the LED daytime running lights at the cost of losing fog lights etc.  I've no doubt this has been mentioned before somewhere.  I suppose its what distinguishes the VRS really.  The monte carlo black wheel arch extensions look very nice too.

Cheers.

Possibly a strange question, but has anyone changed their front bumper for a monte carlo style one i.e. so that you get front fog lights as well as daytime running lights?  I have no idea if this is possible but just a thought really.  I think the monte carlo's look quite nice at the front and it's a shame the VRS just has the LED daytime running lights at the cost of losing fog lights etc.  I've no doubt this has been mentioned before somewhere.  I suppose its what distinguishes the VRS really.  The monte carlo black wheel arch extensions look very nice too.

Cheers.

Each to their own, but IMO the vRS bumper looks an absolute king compared to the Monte/Elegance/SE/S bumper

I went the opposite way, and I can't remember the last time I needed to use front fog lights

If you did go down this route, you'd definitely have to add in some extra wiring somewhere, as the Monte lights require two separate feeds to two separate bulbs, but I'm sure a technician would be able to overcome that hurdle

• Like 1

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not about to do it, just wondered if anyone had.  Thought you'd need extra wiring/switches perhaps etc.  I do like the look of the front of the VRS too, I just think it's weird that the Monte Carlo has the extra option, but then it seems that the Monte Carlo is the way forward for Skoda and the VRS is to be discontinued on the next Fabia model, so that would probably explain it, which is a real shame.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, can anyone tell me if it's possible to switch front bumper on my 2008 fabia, with redesigned monte carlo bumper from 2011? It's still same shape, just different design. I have fog lights, but they can be repositioned, right?

• ColinD unpinned this topic