Engine pinking/flat spots

This engine can be especially sensitive to spark plugs gaps.     Could be worth a look.

You need 0.8mm for a standard VRS or 0.7mm for a remapped car.

thats very correct

if not gapped properly, they will not run properly at all,

if you fitted straight out the box this needs to be checked/done

Is it really necessary to gap brand new spark plugs for stock cars(on remapped it's make sense a bit)?I was doing that ages ago on my old crappy '83 citroen,and because the engine was rubbish

Edited by IulianE

yes it is necessary

you should always check plug gaps even if they say pre gapped, as they may be out or have been knocked etc.

I think the view here for that engine would be 0.8mm.

I know what you mean, I have not gapped spark plugs for some years, but this engine is sensitive to correct gaps.

What was the problem with the old coil packs anyway?

A certain variant of them was prone to failure, I think I read something about the shaft splitting. Also prone to 'popping off' too.

You'll be sorted with the new ones on :thumbup: .. let's hope it fixes your flat spots / hesitation / pinking too.

• 1 month later...

Right she's running nice now and here's what i did

Replaced coil packs under recall, replaced plugs, cleaned out throttle pot, changed air filter to piper X, Added a injecter cleaner.

She pulls right to the red line :happy:

• Like 1

Right she's running nice now and here's what i did

Replaced coil packs under recall, replaced plugs, cleaned out throttle pot, changed air filter to piper X, Added a injecter cleaner.

She pulls right to the red line :happy:

just goes to show what a proper service will do, glad you got it sorted (btw a standard air filter is probably a better option)