DSG rattle

How many ppl are experiencing rattles in the engine bay area (like two metal rods colliding) when driving about 10-20km/h?

Applicable to cars having dsg 7gear box.

• Like 1

I am not a DSG7 owner but I think almost all DSG7 gearboxes all around VAGroup rattles the same way, no matter the car and the engine size.

It is a sounds like coins in a kettle especially in low speed combined with rough road surface. Something like

. Edited by stratosg

Yepp, I can relate to that..

I haven't heard anything like that when the car was new and thus thinking it is a fault.. Metal grinding noises could not be a good sign, no matter if it is "acceptable" or not.

Mine does it too - dealer said its fairly normal and the demo did this - VW UK say its something to do with the gearbox changing to 2nd at low speeds over rough roads. Only does it coming round my road - dropping from 3rd to a very slow 2nd gear corner.

I think I can occasionally hear something like that too but it's very subtle and you really have to pay attention to hear it. It was only 1-2 times that I actually noticed it myself. Of course, If you hear something once then you can be hearing it all the time if you really want to. I had now completely forgotten about it until I read this thread. Judging by the number of people recognizing it, I'd think there's not much you can do about it.

And as for not hearing it since new, It is possible that the initial enthusiasm of having a new car "isolated" all small rattles, noises etc. at least that was the case with me. I couldn't notice any of the squeaks, creeks, rattles mentioned here and was thinking I got a perfect car until 3-4 months went by, just a thought....!

• Like 1

Hi, I picked my car from service yesterday because of this problem. They tried to update software in DSG (it solved problems in non RS DSGs), but it was up to date already. Then they communicated with Skoda factory and Skoda factory with DSG manufacturer in Germany. Also tried to record that noise and sent the record to manufacturer (nice way how to diagnose where is problem:) )

And the answer? - It is normal, it is not a problem, it is a feature. The fact is that DSG works fine for me, even though it rattles :)

I've booked mine for an overview just to be sure all things are ok.. As I've noticed that sometimes the dsg does not shift down at 3000rpm when booted..

My DSG does some strange shuffling / Hunting occasionally. It hesitates to change down at slower speeds and then emits a clonk and changes down. This normally occurs when going around / exiting a roundabout. I have found that the more beans that you give it then the smoother and quieter the changes - but then everyone knows this. I went around Longleat yesterday and it seemed to get a bit temperamental when crawling along, it would hold in 2nd and seemed reluctant to change up when accelerating.

Yep - the "accelerating off an island after slowing down a lot" is the best (worst?) way to trick the DSG - it changes down gears at the last possible moment as your throttle input is zero (slowing down..), then all of a sudden, you hit the gas and it has to suddenly change down 2 or more gears, and the clutches and gearbox(es) are now completely in the wrong settings. Its in 5th, preparing for 4th, you hit the gas and it now wants 2nd or 3rd - neither clutch pack is ready for the right gear, so you have to wait while it rearranges itself.

3 choices:

1) live with it and accept that it might be changing gear whilst you're trying to jump into traffic with no acceleration for a second

2) Go to manual and control it yourself

3) Time for Sport Mode - it will still probably change down a gear as soon as you hit the gas, but its only one gear, not 2 or 3..just beware of the sudden acceleration!

I took my MY12 fabia vRS back to the dealers a while ago with regards to gearbox rattling and posted on here. They let me test drive another one and that was exactly same but I am still not convinced the gearbox was made to rattle. It wasn't advertised as a feature when I purchased the car and this is just an excuse for something they can't resolve. I would suggest this is a fault rather than a feature. I love the car to bits but I'm still unsure if I can live with this rattle. Now as the weather has picked up a little and the windows are down more the rattle is so frustrating, especially when the car is in a confined space.

this is a known "feature" of the DSG7..... its been all over the seat forums for years about the cupra, especially rattling at low speeds over speed bumps ect........

having said that... mine doesn't rattle. it does clunck occaionally, but hell, its changing gear! it would clunk if its a manual every now and then... its not a slush box....

Well said. Exactly like mine silent apart from nOw and again a clink when low speed gear changes occur. But like you say at the end of the day it's disengaging clutch selecting gear and re engaging all in the blink of an eye.

I had this rattle from the very first day. It seems that this noise is fairly standard to all DSG7 equiped cars as a friend with a Scirocco also has it.

I am not a DSG7 owner but I think almost all DSG7 gearboxes all around VAGroup rattles the same way, no matter the car and the engine size.

It is a sounds like coins in a kettle especially in low speed combined with rough road surface. Something like

I wouldn't accept this, it is a fault.

My Fabia has done 40,000 miles, 25k with me and the gearbox has never rattled. Ever.

I wouldn't accept this, it is a fault.

My Fabia has done 40,000 miles, 25k with me and the gearbox has never rattled. Ever.

cool, you now have the highest mileage mark II vRS we know so far ;) was me with 30k! glaad its all ok :thumbup:

Thanks, when I bought it I was averaging 35,000 miles PA.

I've recently changed jobs and become desk based just living 5 miles from the office, so it's tailed off dramaticaly now.

I was expecting rattles (Not in respect of the DSG, just general rattles from the dash etc.) but there are non :)

Edited by JJRS

lol - disagree - every vRS I have been in has this gearbox rattle.

Its not all the time it rattles anyway, its at very low speeds 2nd/3rd gear or so over rough roads...