Parking sensor failure; Oh for goodness sake! (the 'OEM' undertray epilogue)

Dealer = shoddy work = damaged undertray.

Been there and seen it first hand. I had to make proper repairs to a dealer serviced car (including the purchasing of all of the lost fixings from my local VW dealer). My undertray must since have been on and off 10 times at least - and all of the fixings are still there. I put them all back, properly.

If I were unwise enough to deal with a dealer, I would challenge them to find their cable ties in this position on EKTA.

Why do people give their hard-earned cash to dealers?

rotodiesel.

As an aside - there is a Superb in my town painted the same purple as your tray - anyone know if that was a factory colour or has it been "blinged"?  The car is a taxi and otherwise looks standard.

That was my first and last trip to Eastbourne Skoda.  Won't be buying from them either.

Just back from an 800+ mile round trip to Newcastle, which was great.  Saw the Angel of the North (why I went) and sat on Hadrian's Wall on an absolutely perfect day.

The tray's a Quality Street lid - excellent small parts bin!

Car was up to 48.5mpg which I was pretty pleased with, keeping to a steady 70mph on the A1(M).  Mostly.  But then we hit..........Tunbridge Wells at school run time  :|

Overall mpg on the last tank was 44.4, which is the best I've done since I got it  :sun:

Gaz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quite easy to remove buzzer when you know where to look

N/S B pillar, trim un pops buzzer located behind seat belt  :rock:

Since disconnecting the batttery the volume level for the rear beep has come back. So I thought I'd remove the speaker.

I have checked in the B column and mine isn't there. It is most definetly under the parcel shelf.

Anyway one of those two wires I mention in a photo. I've cut one of them and now it doesn't sound.

• Like 1

Haven't done mine yet.  Oh how apathy sets in easy  :notme:

Drive my other car instead as an avoidance tactic.  :blush:

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance you could give me measurements between your rear sensors.. Mine doesn't have sensors and I would like to fit a set.  They just go into the upper black trim on the bumper don't they?

Thanks in advance

Any chance you could give me measurements between your rear sensors.. Mine doesn't have sensors and I would like to fit a set.  They just go into the upper black trim on the bumper don't they?

Thanks in advance

Yep, just into the trim strip.  I can thoroughly recommend the £12 set I got from ebay.  It has everything you need in the box including a hole drill bit.  I don't think the placement is rocket science - you can see where Nack's offside sensor is.  The nearside one is in the mirror image place and the two inner ones are equidistant between them.

I could go out and measure if you really want me to, but I'm feeling lazy  :notme:

If you haven't got them already, you may well get away with not taking the bumper off.  There's a rubber grommet, perhaps 1.5" across about 4-5" under the offside light cluster that the wiring can go through and then it's just a case of earth and power from the light bulb supply.  Pretty straightforward stuff.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant, thanks guys.. I don't have any sensors at the minute.. I might try it with the bumper on, although I have access to a car lift so should be able to up around it hopefully.  I have fitted sensors on an A4 before, but I took the bumper off and the sensor spots were marked on the inside of the bumper..

A job for the Christmas break!!

• 1 year later...

Before purchase i have noticed the parking sensor problem as well but due to the posts here i thought to buy ebay ones - not doing it immediately, there were a week or to of sunny days - and the sensors started to work. Again with the rain they failed. Again with 14 days of sunny days, started to work again. Then i have taken them off and sealed them with silicone all around as well the edges where is the plastic sealing on the top. Put them back and they are working ever since - A lot of rainy days along but still working. fingers crossed - this should be solution to this problem ( org. sensors are pretty expensive).

I have cut one of these in two, and agree moisture getting in via the two wires of the sensor is the problem. they revised the design, but they fail as well due tot he same reason! The ebay ones work and never let you down ;)

• Like 1