Rear Brake Disc/Pad Change

So I had a look at the rear pads today, and I think they'll need doing pretty soon.

Due to the rates put forward by many places to do this, I'm wondering what the steps are for this on an Octavia II (PD140).

I've got new pads and bolts, so it's just a case of needing a how to and anything to watch out for.

Also does anyone know the minimum thickness of the rear disks (and if that's a worn out or don't re-use below this value).

I've got a rewind tool, so that's that part covered, but are there any other "special" tools needed?

Ta

• Like 2

You'll need an m14 spline bit, and (if my experience is anything to go by) some way of applying A LOT of leverage to the spline bolts holding the carriers on!

Although that said, apparently if your rear discs are small enough you can change the discs without removing the carriers.

I found a couple of really useful guides online, will see if i can find them...

Ours (same car) were pretty straight forward apart from one of the calipers 'sticking' even with the rewind tool.

Once that was overcome, all pretty straight forward.

Didn't have any undue issues getting the splined bit undone either.

I've got the Skoda guides with all the figures in somewhere for the same vehicle - I'll find them on my other computer and put them up here.

• Like 1

you might need a caliper rewind tool, I tried the Haynes manual trick on mine (Fab1 1.9TDi) using circlip pliers with no joy, had to pop to Machine Mart the next day for a set ~10 - 15 quid for that then all went smoothly.

Ours (same car) were pretty straight forward apart from one of the calipers 'sticking' even with the rewind tool.

Once that was overcome, all pretty straight forward.

Didn't have any undue issues getting the splined bit undone either.

I've got the Skoda guides with all the figures in somewhere for the same vehicle - I'll find them on my other computer and put them up here.

Be really handy if you could put that up.

I'm not on a VRS, so the rear disks don't look too huge.

Annoyingly I've got an M4 M6 M8 M10 M12 spline set, but no M14.

What's holding the rear disk on, is it just a phillips head, a torx or another spline?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Be really handy if you could put that up.

I'm not on a VRS, so the rear disks don't look too huge.

Annoyingly I've got an M4 M6 M8 M10 M12 spline set, but no M14.

No the m14 is quite an unusually large size!

Anyway, I found these two guides very handy:

Just for the rears:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=225698

Covering the fronts and rears:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40013&highlight=changing+front+brakes

(both for different cars but identical setups)

• Like 1

As you have the smaller discs up rear, you might be lucky and can remove the discs without removing the carrier.

Saves you a lot of hassle. (as in the seatcupra link).

Hmm the altea ones don't look like the pads I picked up from TPS, so off for a look now.

Good luck with those carrier bolts and you will need a DTI and external micrometer to measure disc condition.

A What?

I've got a vernier, with internal/external, so that should be fine for measuring.

There is easily a 1mm lip on the outside though, so I'd say that 2mm has probably worn off from new.

From what's said, it appears that's new disk time

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Right had a look and it's the same pad set up as the Golf, with the press in springs rather than those on the pads.

Still a TRW caliper though.

I'm hoping that I'd still be able to get it off without the M14 spline, but when you say good luck, do they just stick like something very sticky and are a pain to get out, or something else?

Hmm the altea ones don't look like the pads I picked up from TPS, so off for a look now.

A What?

I've got a vernier, with internal/external, so that should be fine for measuring.

There is easily a 1mm lip on the outside though, so I'd say that 2mm has probably worn off from new.

From what's said, it appears that's new disk time

sometimes the vernier cant measure the face of the disc due to the lip being too big so a MICROMETER is much better, and to measure runout (warping) you need a DTI Dial Test Indicator. A vernier is ideal for measuring pads. Edited by 07 vRS Taxi

Ahh right, yes the vernier I have has a cut out that will cover a 1-2mm lip on each side.

I figure if it's past that, then they are shot anyway and need replacing.

As for the test indicator, I've had a look at the discs and they're going to need doing anyway, so I'll need a couple of new disks and some new m14 spline bolts.

So what's the deal with the spline bolts then? Are they a pain in the posterior to get out?

Last time I had a go at VAG brakes, on a MK I octy, the disks just wouldn't budge, which was more than a touch annoying.

Absolute joke mate, they are torqued to 90 nm and a furter turn of 90 degress apart from that its getting at them aswell to make it easy you either need a good impact gun or jack the car up high and crack them off with a bar, I used a 24 inch breaker bar. A one of those and a 32 ounce rubber mallet and you will be ok ;-) just to add to that disc thickness is 12mm, min disc thickness is 10mm.

Edited by 07 vRS Taxi

Indy that did mine said they were a total pig to get off. Had to get the gas out to heat the bolts eventually. Rears were worse then the front.

Not sure which type of caliper you have on the rear, so here goes with the ones that were on my '07 PD 140 Octavia estate. If yours are different, let me know and I'll see if I can find the right ones for you.

Disc specs for most/all Octavia engine variants:

DISC SPECS.pdf

Overview of the most likely caliper:

OVERVIEW Read CII 41.pdf

Pads and caliper instructions for Cii 41 caliper:

PADS Rear CII 41.pdf

CALIPER Rear CII 41.pdf

Hope that helps someone somewhere...

• Like 1

The discs arent that expensive, I would change both if there are doubts.

Yeah, because the longer you leave them, the harder they will be to remove. I think that my 1.9Tdi needs new rear discs soon, so I will attempt to do them myself, or use my regular VAG mechanic who does jobs by the roadside. Once done they should be good for another 90K miles.

Not sure which type of caliper you have on the rear, so here goes with the ones that were on my '07 PD 140 Octavia estate. If yours are different, let me know and I'll see if I can find the right ones for you.

Disc specs for most/all Octavia engine variants:

DISC SPECS.pdf

Overview of the most likely caliper:

OVERVIEW Read CII 41.pdf

Pads and caliper instructions for Cii 41 caliper:

PADS Rear CII 41.pdf

CALIPER Rear CII 41.pdf

Hope that helps someone somewhere...

Yep, that's a match for the callipers.

Very similar to a mini I did the the other weekend, although for that removing the handbrake cable was an essential step.

Thanks, that'll be very useful.

The discs arent that expensive, I would change both if there are doubts.

There is no doubt, they'll need changing. It's at leat a 1mm lip on the outside, so they are shot.

Yeah, because the longer you leave them, the harder they will be to remove. I think that my 1.9Tdi needs new rear discs soon, so I will attempt to do them myself, or use my regular VAG mechanic who does jobs by the roadside. Once done they should be good for another 90K miles.

Well these are going to be a pain in the backside of get off then :(

You will have to remove the carriers as the disks won,t come off.They didn,t on my 1.9.Pretty easy though.

Have you got that set up on the 1.9 also?

I have the feeling that I'm going to need to use some plusgas and invest in a decent length breaker bar.

A hard 'tap' with a rubber mallet should get them off. I've not had any that needed more than that.

I was talking about the calliper bolts, which people seem to say are hell.

If it's just the disks, then I'll have a go with a dead blow rubber mallet or similar.