Fabia 1 Brakes Not working That well

I have a '03 Fabia Tdi100, not my first Fabia as it replaced an '02 SDi.

The brakes aren't that great, It passed an MOT last week and has all new pads and discs, even the MOT tester commented that he had to press the brake pedal really hard and they certainly aren't as good as the SDi I had even though that only had rear drums and this has discs.

The brakes work, but you have to push the pedal really hard, it's almost as if there is no servo, but when you start the engine the pedal goes down a little further so it seems the servo is working.

Does anyone have an idea?

It's on the list for tonight. I did the fronts when I did the discs/pads but didn't have a helper when I was doing the rears. The pedal is very solid, doesn't pump so no air in the system, worth a bleed anyway.

I replaced my brakes with Pagids on my PD100, seem very good with a good bite. As said get some good quailty brake fluid and replace and re-bleed. If that doesn't work could it be the Brake Master Cylinder?

Brembo and Pagid from GSF, same as I use on my BMWs. I'm beginning to think master cylinder or servo, but it's all down the back of the engine bay and looks hard to get at, even the fluid reservoir is a pain!

check for vacuum leaks in the line from servo to engine, sounds like it may be weeping air slightly.

This is very common and leads to exactly the symptoms you describe.

This is very common and leads to exactly the symptoms you describe.

It is very common.

There was a recall on my car at some point for this.

Its the vacuum pipe to the brake servo. Would certainly show symptoms similar to those described.

Phil

there are one or two joints but they can age and crack anywhere really. examine every inch, but joints would be first port of call. Just looked at mine and it has been taped up a few times with some sealant too