Mud Flaps

Llanigraham

I know several of us have found that when towing the rear Skoda mud flaps don't do a particularly good job.

Well I've just found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360471165194?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Think I might be spending some money!!

ordered 2 pairs today will see how good they are in a few days. hope they help keep some of the crap off the yeti.

Thanks for the link graham :thumbup:

I hate to be a party-pooper, and the following is not based on any actual experiences - except for the fronts.

The culprit in the coating of the rear of the Yeti with muck is the large area of low pressure behind the flat rear of the Yeti. Small drops of dirty water from the rear wheels and underside of the car are sucked up behind and deåposited on whatever surface available.

Rear mudflaps do convert rather large drops coming off the rear wheels into much smaler drops created by impact on the flaps. My expectation is that the rear of the Yeti will be coated even more and any following trailer coated more uniformly with mudflaps installed.

My front flaps changed the deposits from large mudclumps to a more uniform coating along each side. I have no rear flaps, but expect the effect would be the same - as much muck, but more uniformly dispersed and reaching higher up.

it would be interesting to see before and after pic's

• Like 1

I fitted front mud guards to my previous yeti to protect the sides.

They protected about 6 " behind them, so about 90% useless.

I was considering rear mudflaps on my new Yeti to hopefully reduce the cr*p from the rear wheels ,

.I don't think I'll Bother now..Thanks Agerbundsen

Fit manufactures approved flaps all round and always have done, some work better than others. I've no complaints re the Yeti ones myself and they also help reduce the amount of 'road rubbish' picked up by the tyres, that could potentially rattle down the sides slowly chipping away at the paint finish.

Noted obviously, that the slightly narrower 215 /60 tyres throw less stuff down the side with the flaps in place than the SE did with the 225/50

TP

• Like 1

ordered 2 pairs today will see how good they are in a few days. hope they help keep some of the crap off the yeti.

Perhaps you could post some puctures of them when they have been fitted.

Agerbundsen,

Agreed, but if you noticed my opening words I specifically said "Towing".

I find I get quite large clods of earth and other things on the front of the 'van just pulling off rally fields, and thought these might stop that. i know that little will have an effect once moving at speed.

Perhaps you could post some puctures of them when they have been fitted.

Will post up photos once fitted.

I refuse to comment on 'flaps' as it will only incriminate me.

Getting low on beer in the corner Bob

I hate to be a party-pooper, and the following is not based on any actual experiences - except for the fronts.

The culprit in the coating of the rear of the Yeti with muck is the large area of low pressure behind the flat rear of the Yeti. Small drops of dirty water from the rear wheels and underside of the car are sucked up behind and deåposited on whatever surface available.

Rear mudflaps do convert rather large drops coming off the rear wheels into much smaler drops created by impact on the flaps. My expectation is that the rear of the Yeti will be coated even more and any following trailer coated more uniformly with mudflaps installed.

My front flaps changed the deposits from large mudclumps to a more uniform coating along each side. I have no rear flaps, but expect the effect would be the same - as much muck, but more uniformly dispersed and reaching higher up.

it would be interesting to see before and after pic's

not trying to stop it getting general spray along the sides and rear that is just a fact of life with any car.

Its the large green and brown deposits that get left on the roads around here by the large four legged country dwelling fraternity :evil:, it sticks to the sides and the small area of rear bumper like ---- to a blanket :o , have to soak it for ages to get it off.

Mud flaps arrived today.

Put them against the standard ones on the yeti and found,

1. they will not sit as far up the body as the skoda ones

2. they will not sit as far out as the skoda ones

3. the fitting area is not the right shape

4. not going as far up as the skoda ones you can only use 2 of the fixings

5. the only good part is they will fit my van :rofl:

post-52230-0-44714200-1343756243_thumb.jpg

post-52230-0-72166300-1343756277_thumb.jpg

post-52230-0-22103700-1343756328_thumb.jpg

Certainly looks like a universal fitting, thought they would be better than that as you have to go through a list to get the right car for the part no.

I left neutral feedback and said they didn't fit correctly (Will not be holding my breath for a response) but they will go on the van so all is not lost as it needs mud flaps as well.

I may go down the rally flap material fixed to the originals road, as they say nothing ventured nothing gained

If you read the advert carefully, down below the lower picture it does actually say "Designed to be a universal fitting".

However, giving the option to "check compatibility" is very misleading, and a bit naughty really.

I guess that the real giveaway that they might not be vehicle specific is the price... as they say, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

I may go down the rally flap material fixed to the originals road, as they say nothing ventured nothing gained

Following a change in MSA rules changes there should be plenty of 3mm flaps available (min is 4mm now!) I think i will go the same route.

Been there, done that, :thumbup: although I used 'proper' 4mm MSA rallyflaps pop riveting them onto a set of OE mudflaps as here;-

DSC00135a.jpg

DSC00134a.jpg

DSC00137a.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi,

The rally flaps + Skoda yeti flaps look like the answer. Where did you source the rally flaps. The earlier post mentioning the low pressure area at the back of the vehicle is correct - I spent several years researching the air flow in and around livestock transporters. That's why the snow goes into the back of an open Landrover!

Hi,

The rally flaps + Skoda yeti flaps look like the answer. Where did you source the rally flaps. The earlier post mentioning the low pressure area at the back of the vehicle is correct - I spent several years researching the air flow in and around livestock transporters. That's why the snow goes into the back of an open Landrover!

It was these from Demon Tweeks - http://www.demon-twe...-thick-mudflaps I just bought one pair and cut them accordingly.

I have, just a couple of weeks ago, done a further mod of slicing off the 2cm of extra width, but left the length alone.

Reason behind this is that I do a lot of motorway mileage at speed and I was sure that the extra width acted like a Gurney flap creating drag. Lo and behold Kevin now feels more sprightly and my average mpg has improved by 1 - 2 mpg; QED.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys not been on here for a while. Excellent to see so many Yeti owners trying to stop the crap being thrown against the bottom of their doors .I have attached a Rally flap to one side of my Yeti today to see if it will help to reduce the chipping of the door paint along the bottom which has been a problem from day one of owning it, I'm not confident though !I'm thinking of having a clear film put along all the bottoms of the doors to help protect them.

Llanigraham I hope to be able to tell you the result of my fight with Skoda re-chipping and blistering paint work , it's now been going on for 4 months. I'll post the result here for others who have the same issue.All I can say at the moment is don't give in or up  ;)

Hi guys not been on here for a while. Excellent to see so many Yeti owners trying to stop the crap being thrown against the bottom of their doors .I have attached a Rally flap to one side of my Yeti today to see if it will help to reduce the chipping of the door paint along the bottom which has been a problem from day one of owning it, I'm not confident though !I'm thinking of having a clear film put along all the bottoms of the doors to help protect them.

Llanigraham I hope to be able to tell you the result of my fight with Skoda re-chipping and blistering paint work , it's now been going on for 4 months. I'll post the result here for others who have the same issue.All I can say at the moment is don't give in or up  ;)

I fought the same battle successfully eventually in 2010 - it took 8 months - so don't give up.

After the car had all doors repainted, had clear film applied to all the doors below the black strip and extended over front part of rear wheelarch on rear door.

This kept paintwork in good condition till I sold the Yeti in 2012.

The car had mudflaps from new, and I suspect that they may have made the problem worse by concentrating the muck put up by the front wheels into a smaller area.

Major reason for selling the Yeti was Skoda UK's attitude to warranty claims.