1.2 TSI

Hi, i am new to the forum, as per my newbie thread i have recently ordered a Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 TSi and was wondering about remapping purely out of curiosity. The search function has shown me a few threads regarding this topic but as far as i can tell nobody has gone ahead with a remap? and was just wondering if anybody actually has. Apologies if this has already been covered.

Dave.

Sounds good to me :) any idea of pricing?

This may sound like a silly question, but how long would i need to run the car in before fitting a tunning box?

EDIT - In fitting this will it void my waranty? i take it yes

Edited by DMilsey

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/CarProducts.aspx

£299

I wouldn't "run in" anyway... tuned or not ;) my last car was a 1.9 diesel grande punto, driven "as normal" from new, and mapped at 7k... ran to 110k without problems :)

being a tuing box, it works as a piggyback ECU, so the ECU runs to "normal" perameters... no changes as far as the ECU is concerned... you can remove it when you take it to the dealers.

I havent got one of these yet, but will do at some point. I don't want my ECU "cracked" and messed with...

So i will not need to 'run in' my car - as i said i have never owned a brand new car before, so im a bit clueless in terms of the do's and don'ts

I think i will definatly be investing in one of these tuning box'. Also i read somewhere that the stated 105ps from skoda is abit less than what is actually producses is this true?

Thanks for your help :)

• Like 1

others have opinions other than mine... but my opinion is, don't run in your car. drive it "normally" If you need full throttle use it. if you need to red line it, do it......

I used to do massive miles, (drivivng instructor) and had a new car every 2-3 years... always done the above, and never had a problem... my highest miler was a saxo VTR with 155,000 miles, 20k service intervals and no engine issues (being a citroen it needed a new gearbox every 40k though...)

my fiat was mapped for over 100k , no issues.

my vRS was bouncing off the rev limiter at 14 miles down the first morroway slip road :) my car doesn't use any oil... but some do to the point of being rediculous.....

I dont do massive miles any more,as my full time occupation has changed..

there is a theory, that running in gently doesn't "seat" the components properly, no real heat cycles, proper operating ranges and temps ect, and this does way more damage than good...

all of this however is just my opion... no proof to back it up! just my general observations.

I'm not saying rag it all over.... just drive it as you normally would, without being extra careful, and without limiting revs or throttle.

up to you whether you take my advice :)

enjoy your new car !

Sounds good to me, i wasn't up for driving like a granny for any longer than needed. All of what you said does ring make sence tbf lol. However i dont think i will be redlining it straight off :giggle: I also have had a fair few high milers with few problems, my current car (untill the monte arrives) is a saxo vtr with 120k on the clock and doesnt miss a beat but as said has had a few gearboxs and drive shafts in its life.

i will look at the graph later, as im at work untill 10pm and flickr is blocked :wall:

thanks for advise :D

not too bad... you need the right screwdrivers, and some connections may be hard to get to, removing some of the air intake from the top of the engine ect.... bout 10 mins I believe... most I've seen have just put the box somewhere its "rets" ok under the bonnet... I might be tempted to secure it a bit better...

theres a vid on the site under commonl;y asked q's :)

Doesnt this box put more pressure on the engine?

I get scared as it is my monte getting 105bhp out of a tiny 1.2 engine (I do enjoy the 45mpg though and sound of the dump valve!) im not very good on knowledge of engines just get scared of so much power from such a tiny engine!

its not a problem... fords new engine gets 100+bhp from a 1.0 litre engine! it will power the new mondeo ! lol.....

fiat are happily getting 180 bhp from their 1.4 turbo with no problems, and they dont use a supercharger too like the VAG engine... its the way forward, small forced induction engines :)

in reality , you are of course pushing the perameters a bit more... but only a bit....

Hi with regards to chipping the 1.2 tsi engine I came across this company Racechip.de while looking for a chip for my mk2 octavia. I did a bit of checking and they have quite a good reputation with half descent power figures. They just post the chip to your door and you fit it yourself, ther is a video showing you how easy it is. Hope this helps a little Dave.

Karl

Hi with regards to chipping the 1.2 tsi engine I came across this company Racechip.de while looking for a chip for my mk2 octavia. I did a bit of checking and they have quite a good reputation with half descent power figures. They just post the chip to your door and you fit it yourself, ther is a video showing you how easy it is. Hope this helps a little Dave.

Karl

Mine ran some rollers at 118bhp stock at just over 3,000 miles. I never babied mine, it tended to be driven hard. The Racechip box I had on my old 1.2, I got the "lower" spec box. Went like a stabbed rat afterwards but then I think they have all got around 120bhp or so from the factory. Mine was probably a bit more than that, I had put the air filter on it plus a performance exhuast. Would think it ended up more around 150bhp or so before I had to send it back.

It was certainly quick enough to outrun Fiesta STs but not quite quick enough to outrun Corsa VXRs.

Still have all the bits waiting to go onto a new one. WHEN i get a replacement (and I will!)

And I am sure there are a couple more people with "tuned" 1.2s although AFAIK mine was probably one of the heaviest that I know of.

Edited by Ross Chapman

All sounds good to me :) think I'm defiantly gonna get one I think!! Just can't wait for it to arrive now :D

Edited by DMilsey

Hi there i got the tmc tunebox and got it for testing for a week. Realy great product but i think to get a remap, here in israel some dealers got a new remap for the 1.2 tsi (seat, skoda) and cant remmember the name of the company that made it but i only know that its been developed from upsolute and another company.

Edited by Puff Dani