spark plug change

Be careful.

The Spark plugs come pre gapped but you need to check all 4 are right and then not knock them putting them in, 

and do not cross thread.  I put them in with them on the end of a piece of rubber pipe, then start screwing in with this before the plug socket 

is use.

The Hard Pipe is your Turbo Intake.

Be careful of the O Ring.

The others are breather pipes, be sure you secure them correctly, then be careful with the Ignition Coils, removing and replacing.

If in doubt be sure the person helping is capable.

The plugs I've bought are vk20 5604 Denso iridiums. They come gapped at 0.4mm. Will this be OK or do I need to widen the gap as I've read on the main sticky thread that they're normally gapped at 0.8mm.

The car is standard and has done 61k miles. Friend is competent and has helped me do the spark plugs on my BMW Mini, but that was much easier access!

Thank you again for your contribution, I really appreciate it.

Are you dead sure they are pre-gapped @ 0.4mm.    Others will have to comment on that.

I have plugs i put in at 0.8, and Skoda / VW now do 0.7 i believe on OEM / NGK.

Bluespark advised with their tuning box at 0.6.

This is from spark plugs.co.uk website mate. Just double check because I'd hate you to go thro the hassle of fitting them and the it not run right.

The plug gap is 1.1 from the factory and the electrode is 0.4mm diameter.

This is from spark plugs.co.uk website mate. Just double check because I'd hate you to go thro the hassle of fitting them and the it not run right.

The plug gap is 1.1 from the factory and the electrode is 0.4mm diameter.

post-129270-0-98108600-1473576453_thumb.png

Just double checked and it is actually 1mm. I was looking at the wrong side of the gap tool I've borrowed. Right, so the advice is to close the gap down to 0.8mm?

Thank you for making me double check!

So, managed to sort this in the end with a slight hitch. Only changed the three plugs with easy access due to time constraints. One plug (middle of the three) got the rubber stuck on from the coil. Believe I managed to retrieve all of this but the car has developed a misfire after completing and check engine light comes on under load. Any ideas to resolve?

Do not keep driving it, but if you must then drive very easy and no Supercharger & Turbo under load.

You can go into limp mode.

So you now need to know if all 4 Ignition Coils are undamaged. All 4 spark plugs are still at the correct gap and in tight.

Then the pipes we spoke about are all sealed, all wires / connectors correct.

A not very difficult job now becomes involved, but you were warned.

Would losing the internal rubber on the coil be an issue? I've read that it wouldn't but I feel that it could. Only changed the three that are easily accessible due to time constraints, so pipes should be fine.

Checked all gaps when putting them in and they were fine.