Shark Stage 2 2.0TSI installed today (review and dyno charts)

I feel that the figure should be secondary and that fact that the car is tuned properly should be the most important thing. Yes it's stage 2 code, with tweaks to get the best from the car.

Indeed and I agree, on the day it didn't bother me as I'm after drivability rather than a peak figure. What later turned me to concern is the large figures others are quoting for their cars (that may be well over inflated).

The differences compared to thers etc start to make me concerned, also people saying that they are getting 255bhp+ odd from stage 1 and no other mods.....

We've been speaking to Hofmeister by PM.

At the end of the day the dyno is there as a tuning tool. If we had wanted to get a "nice" figure out of the car, then it would have been left on the dyno with the fans running for 15-20 mins to allow the car to cool (it does get hot in there, especially on summer days). On top of that, the car doesn't have an intake fitted.

As an example we tuned a 1.8TSI Superb on the dyno on Wednesday, figures were 198.5hp, we're happy with that. We ran it the next morning when the car was cool (of course letting it warm up to operating termperature first) and the car ran 209hp. That's the difference that hot/cold air can make.

I feel that the figure should be secondary and that fact that the car is tuned properly should be the most important thing. Yes it's stage 2 code, with tweaks to get the best from the car.

Dont get me wrong Ben, Im not slating, just thought it would be best for a Shark representive to have their say, I am running Shark stage 2 myself after all!

Like Hoffmeister, I was just surprised that it seemed so low compared to competitors Stage 2 quoted figures (even the ridiculous ones). I appreciate that the main use for the dyno is as a tuning tool, but it is widely used for comparing power/tunes etc, thats why Rolling Road days are popular, also, I absolutely agree with climate making a noted difference in figures and the old dyno lottery of course.

But a difference of 20+ hp was cause for discussion, my stage 1 made what Hoff is making stage 2, hence my suggestion he should check he got full stage 2 (which he wont as he should have an Intake) I know for sure though that my Stage 2 is notably quicker than my stage 1, and its certainly more than 255hp, regardless Ive been meaning to get to a local RR for some time now, but I will post the results when I do!

ps hows the Shark GTI coming along

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. If the lower figure indicated a problem then obviously it should be a concern but it's probably just due to reasons stated by Ben. I've only ever seen the competitors figures actually gained on their own dynos; Sharks figures are probably achievable as a minimum on any dyno, that's what I prefer. :-) My Yeti has been running a shark map since approx 9,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat. (it now has 28000 on) I've just completed almost 4,000 miles in three weeks in 42 degree heat doing arduous inclines and constant cruising for some 8 hours per day carrying over 200kgs of additional weight and the car is an absolute dream to drive in all respects including some amazing economy figures - 44mpg overall so far!! I can't truthfully make that same statement regarding other maps I've previously run on my cars from the supposed big name tuners!

Edited by FocusZtec

• 1 month later...

ok, so today I finally had a chance to get to a dyno, this is a local, independant tuner and had no reason to manipulate figures. it was 14.5 Degrees out and fairly wet, I thought this to be a fairly accurate representation of our weather, lol.

I am Shark Performance Stage 2, 2.0 TSI with full Stage 2 Hardware (check my blog for details) and running 97 Ron Super Unleaded

we did 3 runs (run 1&2 were slightly less by a few bhp, then we remembered to turn off the AC etc), and this is the result from the final run:

Stage2RR_zps66329d85.jpg

got to say Im happy enough with the result, and reinforces what I was saying about my stage 2 def being more than 255hp!

Thanks for posting this, some great results.....possibly a bit too good but you must be pleased anyway :D

i am currently trying to get my situation sorted with Shark but it's been a couple of weeks and I get a reply one day, some movement and then no more replies for a few more days.

Oh really? Boost leak seems likely, or possibly diverter valve failure! I know my results seem optimistic, but I do have full hardware unlike a lot of others, the yanks are all getting around 275/285 and their climate is hotter

First we believe that all the UK dynos give acurate results and then we believe that the Yank figures are accurate?! Oh, come on! :giggle:

Hofmiester - Im waiting for Rob to come back to me at present also (nothing negative though, just a price on something), I think they are possibly a little short staffed currently - I know Ben's still on hols. Anyway - good luck getting the car sorted. :)

I would suspect the difference in figures is largely down to different dynos along with the varying conditions (temps etc). As far as I'm concerned, Shark's Bapro dyno is very accurate. I personally have two dyno prints for my car and always quote the figures from Shark, despite the other printout reading +14bhp. As others have said, its how the car drives that matters; figures are just an indication on a given dyno on a given day.

As for contacting Shark Perfromance, I'd always call them- they're understandably busy people.

Are you American? Do you produce figures gained from a dyno? I'm guessing two yes's, right? Lol

That's two yes's--not sure how we were brought into the discussion, BUT since you brought it up, and me being an American with an interest in dynographs ;), check out the recent figures from an APR stage 1 Scirocco 2.0TSI on our MAHA here in Milton Keynes. Looks like everybody's making some decent power here in the UK :)

8009498519_b150be47e5_b.jpg

Edited by Evan@APR

I am sorry but 283bhp from a stage 1 is complete b*******. APR you are starting to sound like Revo.

Honestly? Our stage 1 figures on that graph are right on par for the stage 2 figures from the OP. *shrugs*

I don't expect you to believe me because I posted a dynograph, but I openly invite any interested parties to our facility for a comparison remap and run.

And it looks Revo's claims were substantial enough to gain you as a customer for your stage 1 VRs Jonno? haha

Edited by Evan@APR

I openly invite anybody to come down, reflash, and see how it performs.

How it performs on the road and what you claim it gives on the dyno are two different things. I know what my vRS running Revo stage 1 roughly puts out and it's absolutely nowhere near what you're claiming the APR makes. I bet if we put them side by side there would be very little in it, maybe the Revo a little quicker based on my experience.

Perhaps vRS Carl will comment as he's had both APR and subsequently Revo on same vRS tsi.

Edited by Guest

On that same car I don't know because after that dynograph we strapped a k04 to the car.

Again, happy to host anybody interested in seeing what our stage 2 figures do :)

would be happy to compare, but no APR in Northern Ireland :hi:

How it performs on the road and what you claim it gives on the dyno are two different things. I know what my vRS running Revo stage 1 roughly puts out and it's absolutely nowhere near what you're claiming the APR makes. I bet if we put them side by side there would be very little in it, maybe the Revo a little quicker based on my experience.

Perhaps vRS Carl will comment as he's had both APR and subsequently Revo on same vRS tsi.

So it's a street race you want eh? I don't know about you, but I live my life a quarter mile at a time...

Interested to hear what Carl would have to say. When did he have APR and did he do back to back rolling roads when he switched or are we using the butt dyno to quantify the performance differences?

would be happy to compare, but no APR in Northern Ireland :hi:

Working on it Daz! :)

Edited by Evan@APR

Evan, I wasn't the first to mention the yanks in this thread. ;-)

My initial comments come about as i used to help run a large UK owners club and I was heavily involved in tuning an example of said car here in the uk. You yanks used to do the same mods as me to your models and used to claim double the gains we'd see lol

Oh and in case you think im a racist ;-) I love the yanks really, love America and have a liking for most of your V8 muscle cars and I happened to have a particular weakness for the Camaro SS convertible I had in California back in June. Hubba hubba. ;-)

BUT them claims on the posted dyno smell very fishy to! Shame, as I certainly don't have respect for the guys up the road to you after dealings with them in the past. Oh and if you invite me down then be prepared for me to turn up with my own dyno operator. ;-)

Evan, I wasn't the first to mention the yanks in this thread. ;-)

My initial comments come about as i used to help run a large UK owners club and I was heavily involved in tuning an example of said car here in the uk. You yanks used to do the same mods as me to your models and used to claim double the gains we'd see lol

Oh and in case you think im a racist ;-) I love the yanks really, love America and have a liking for most of your V8 muscle cars and I happened to have a particular weakness for the Camaro SS convertible I had in California back in June. Hubba hubba. ;-)

BUT them claims on the posted dyno smell very fishy to! Shame, as I certainly don't have respect for the guys up the road to you after dealings with them in the past. Oh and if you invite me down then be prepared for me to turn up with my own dyno operator. ;-)

No worries :) I didn't feel insulted as an American.

It appears we share sentiment for the "guys up the road" and if anything, I'm more open to hosting to show that we are nowhere near similar. So stop by. Bring your own dyno operator--so long as they know how to use a maha. We'll supervise, have a brew and make some power.

• Like 1